The 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo was in town last weekend, and this is always a family-friendly fun event. We attended the Friday, June 2nd show. There was supposed to be a big Schools Out Bash prior to the rodeo, however, the rain and storms made that an impossibility. We need the rain, so it’s ok.
The evening began with the Junior bull riding. These kids are brave and have a great future ahead of them in rodeo.
The National Anthem was sung by a very talented 8 yr. old boy. The tribute to our warriors was very moving. Thank you to all who serve in our Armed Forces. Then after a few indoor fireworks, the show began.
Bronco riding started things off. That night proved to be a tough one for the cowboys attempting to stay on for 8 seconds. I’m not sure that anyone was able to do it. Maybe one guy out of all the riders.
Calf roping proved to be difficult for these pros as well. This is not an easy sport. Timing has to be perfect. Jumping off your horse, catching the calf, getting it on the ground, tying it’s legs. All in a few seconds. This event looks violent, but the calves are not harmed and get up and trot away, if they are caught at all. This proved to be elusive this night, but all the contestants were motivated, and did their best.
Barrel racing was the first event after an intermission. These horses and riders are amazing as they corner and go around the barrels. The speed is fast and the times are seconds. It’s exciting!
The Junior Barrel racing category included 14 yr. olds, and an 8 yr. old that would not give up on her horse that did not want to do what it was told. She persisted and eventually made it through the course to a rousing round of applause. I hope this girl doesn’t give up. It’s a process to learn for both the rider and the horse.
Bull riding was the final event in this edition of the rodeo. One bull tried to get out of the gate by climbing over it prior to its rider getting on. But they got him back under control.
These bulls are intimidating from the stands. Getting on the back of one must be a real challenge. These men are brave. this always a crowd favorite. The 8 second time proved to be elusive for these riders as well.
The rodeo clown was funny, and he was a nice break between events.
I think the rain had thrown everyone off their best game. It was still a fun time for us. These folks are truly athletes. Obviously each event has its own physical and emotional demands, as in basketball, football, baseball, etc.. It may not have been their best night, but everyone continued to try to do their best.
We always have fun at the Silver Spurs Rodeo, and we look forward to the next one. CitySurfing Orlando will let you know as soon as we have dates for the next one.
[Photos by Kirk Garreans for CitySurfing Orlando]
Disclosure: CitySurfing Orlando received press tickets. As always, Carol’s opinion is honest, and her own.
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Coming to Orlando Jan 20 and We Previewed It In Tampa - January 16, 2018