I recently visited The Holy Land Experience on a media day to check out the new show, “David: King of Jerusalem,” and I was excited because it was my first chance to visit the Orlando attraction.
The show depicts King David’s life from a small boy to 30 years into David’s reign. That is a long time to condense into a show, even three one hour segments. The show itself is well done.
The cast includes kids, which enhances the story telling. The voices of the actors, regardless of age, are amazing.
But while I enjoyed the show, I felt it was just a bit too long. I know it’s the center piece of the park, however, I felt very scheduled. When one mini-show ends, you have to follow the crowd to the next, and the next. For us, by the time the main show was done, we did not want to sit and wait for another mini-show. It’s a great show otherwise.
The tech crew was also on point with the scene changes happening on que and with efficiency to keep the show going. Kudos to the tech crew! They seldom receive the recognition they deserve.
The theater, The Church of All Nations, is an 1800 seat theater with a full fly loft. For this show, the backdrop is a 20ft by 60ft LED wall, using a video server to provide the background scenes.
I revisited the show on a later date with my family. I asked my kids what their favorite part of the show is and their answers were as different as they are. My daughter enjoyed the tight harmonies of the songs. My son enjoyed the sword fights and David’s victory over Goliath. The Sound and Lighting techs were kind enough to spend a bit time with my kids after the show, too.
I also saw “Lazarus’s House,” which is a mini-show about Martha, Miriam, and Lazarus, and what occurs before a visit with Jesus and his disciples. This is in a small black box type theater, with bleachers for seats, and it’s an air-conditioned space.
This is a 20 minute show and is well done, with songs and dialog of what the conversation among the siblings may have like. Having siblings, I could relate. I enjoyed this show as it was short, and the story is well written. These actors, all of them, are very talented people.
Overall, I do recommend visiting The Holy Land Experience. It’s not the typical park with rides, which is a fabulous change from the other parks in town. It’s based on stories from the Bible. The shows are good, the people are nice, and there is much that is indoors, a blessing in the summer heat. When walking around, be careful if it’s raining. Painted cement does get slippery when wet, so be aware of changing surfaces.
The Holy Land Experience is located at 4655 Vineland Road, Orlando, Florida 32811. The park hours are 10am to 6pm, Tuesday – Saturday.
“David: The King of Jerusalem” will be performed until November 23rd, when it will be temporarily replaced by the holiday production, “The Heart of Christmas.”
Visit HolyLandExperience.com for details and tickets.
Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando attended a media day at The Holy Land Experience. As always, our opinions are honest, and our own.
View this post on Instagram
See how Bathsheba finds out about Joab’s betrayal to King David in our newest production “David: The King of Jerusalem” Now Showing • • • • • #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive #holylandexp #holylandexperience #DavidTheKingOfJerusalem #NewShow #NewSeason #visitorlando #visitflorida #orlando #orlandoflorida #orlandoliving #theatre #fun #Jesus #gospel #bible #KingDavid
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018