As annual Orlando Science Center passholders, my family and I look forward to Maker Faire every year, but this year’s event was a bit of a tiring experience from us, but with no fault from the actual event.
I can say that we missed a lot of activities due to homework projects and kids being kids, not in a good way. But we did make it to the Science Center along with lots of other people.
The parking garage is not that big, and there is always a long line to park. It was good to see that arrangements had been made to park in another parking garage nearby. On Saturday, we had to park the alternate garage, and walk a few blocks. On Sunday, we were able to park in the garage at the center. For any special event, you need to plan on patience and allow time for this.
There were lots of new exhibitors this year. There were people set up in tents outside, which we didn’t make it out to due to the weather. I feel for those exhibitors. There was also another location in the area, the Orlando Museum of Art, that we missed. A parade from one building to another is also something else new to Maker Faire that we missed it. There was just so much going on and not enough time to do it all.
We did see everything in the Orlando Science Center itself. Maker Faire is not just about video games, programming, robots, etc., it’s also about making things with your hands. Crafts, including jewelry, soap, aprons, and lots of other things were sold. There was the world’s largest free standing video game.
Present were the Orange County Technical Services schools showing their programs. There was NASA. There were lots of science things that my family just loves. There were food trucks outside, but we missed them, too. The kids enjoyed playing video games, playing with cardboard creations, and our daughter even got to try her hand at being a meteorologist.
I will say that this year was a very good mix of exhibitors/vendors and people. I am just sorry that we didn’t make it to the other locations.
Maker Faire is so worth attending. We plan on it every year! Unfortunately, this year ended up getting interrupted by other things. But as soon as the dates for NEXT year’s show are announced, it will go on our calendars!
Did you go to Maker Faire this year? What were your favorite exhibits?
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Coming to Orlando Jan 20 and We Previewed It In Tampa - January 16, 2018
- Out and About: Marvel Universe LIVE! Age of Heroes at the Amway Center is Fun For the Whole Family - January 13, 2018
- New #Wawa Opens on Central Florida Parkway in Orlando - December 14, 2017
- Out and About: Christmas Bricktacular Returns to LEGOland Florida! - December 8, 2017