On Friday, June 20, we were invited to the CFAMily Day event at the Cornell Fine Arts Museum (CFAM) on the Rollins College campus.
This was the first time that we had been there, and other than a short time being lost, we found it. I blame me for that, not them. If I had paid closer attention to the signs, we would have found it quicker.
During the event, which was free to everyone, the kids drew faces, went on a scavenger hunt, and helped to create a mural of their body outlines (which they painted in). They even made handprint art inspired by Andy Warhol.
During the afternoon, the kids got to explore the museum with a guide, and saw a few really cool exhibits, including a marble Roman sarcophagus that is 2000 years old on loan from another museum. They also got to see paintings from the Louis VII era, as well as photographs, both old and new.
My two children, ages 6 and 9, really enjoyed the activities and the chance to be creative.
The Cornell Fine Arts Museum is not very big, but a great way to introduce kids (and adults) to art. As a bonus, through the end of 2014, admission is free to all courtesy of Bessemer Trust. Parking is also free at the SunTrust parking garage (bring in your parking pass for validation at the museum).
If you missed this CFAMily Day, they will be having another on August 8, 2014. From 2-6pm, there will be hands-on art activities, scavenger hunts, and docent-led tours of the museum. This will be the last one for the summer, but starting October 5, the Cornell Fine Arts Museum will hold a monthly CFAMily Day, the first Sunday of the month.
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Coming to Orlando Jan 20 and We Previewed It In Tampa - January 16, 2018
- Out and About: Marvel Universe LIVE! Age of Heroes at the Amway Center is Fun For the Whole Family - January 13, 2018
- New #Wawa Opens on Central Florida Parkway in Orlando - December 14, 2017
- Out and About: Christmas Bricktacular Returns to LEGOland Florida! - December 8, 2017