Popular Orlando radio personality Scott McKenzie passed away the morning of August 11, 2015, after a long seven-year battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
McKenzie, born Scott Alan Friedman 59 years ago, had been part of the MIX 105.1 morning crew for over 24 years and often referred to it as “the job of a lifetime.” In a piece he wrote for the station’s website last week, he mentioned a good luck charm routine he had of pressing his microphone’s “on” button a few extra seconds to remind himself how lucky he is to be able to what he loves.
In addition to being a huge part of Orlando radio, McKenzie was also involved in Orlando’s charitable communities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Children’s Miracle Network, and the Coalition For The Homeless of Central Florida.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer issued the following statement yesterday: “We join in mourning the loss of Scott McKenzie. His passion for our City will be missed.”
McKenzie is surivived by his wife Fran, and their daughter, as well as his parents and siblings. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, that well-wishers make a donation to any of the above charities he was involved with.
Our condolences to Scott’s family, and our sincere thanks to him for entertaining us for so many years.
— MIX 105.1 (@MIX1051) August 11, 2015
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2020 Picks For #Easter Dining In #Orlando (At Home) - April 8, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For April 8, 2020: Kadance, Hawkers, Canvas, ICON Park, Estefan Kitchen Orlando, Ravenous Pig, and More .. #OrlandoFoodies - April 8, 2020
- Orange County and Visit Orlando Launch ‘#407Day’ Campaign April 7 to Support Local Restaurants .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoToGo #VisitOrlando - April 6, 2020
- Enzian Theater Offering Four New Indie Movies to Stream .. @EnzianTheater @atwdfilm #CorpusChristiFilm @ExtraOrdFilm @SWMYfilm - April 5, 2020
- Southern Fried Sunday to Host Second Free Online #StayHome Music Fest April 5 With Optional Food Supplied by Winter Park’s #NewStandard .. #SFS - April 5, 2020
- SeaWorld Parks Provide Free Online Animal and Nature Classroom Resources .. @SeaWorld #ClassroomResources - April 4, 2020
- Creative City Project Presents “Stimulate the Arts” Online Fundraiser .. @Creative_Proj #OrlandoArts - April 3, 2020
- Orlando’s East End Market Launches Mobile Delivery Service .. @EastEndMkt - April 2, 2020
- Feed the Need Florida to Distribute Meals to Families Impacted by COVID-19 .. #FeedtheNeedFL - March 31, 2020
- Monster Jam World Finals 2020 in Orlando Has Been Cancelled .. @MonsterJam #MonsterJam - March 30, 2020