Popular Orlando radio personality Scott McKenzie passed away the morning of August 11, 2015, after a long seven-year battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
McKenzie, born Scott Alan Friedman 59 years ago, had been part of the MIX 105.1 morning crew for over 24 years and often referred to it as “the job of a lifetime.” In a piece he wrote for the station’s website last week, he mentioned a good luck charm routine he had of pressing his microphone’s “on” button a few extra seconds to remind himself how lucky he is to be able to what he loves.
In addition to being a huge part of Orlando radio, McKenzie was also involved in Orlando’s charitable communities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Children’s Miracle Network, and the Coalition For The Homeless of Central Florida.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer issued the following statement yesterday: “We join in mourning the loss of Scott McKenzie. His passion for our City will be missed.”
McKenzie is surivived by his wife Fran, and their daughter, as well as his parents and siblings. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, that well-wishers make a donation to any of the above charities he was involved with.
Our condolences to Scott’s family, and our sincere thanks to him for entertaining us for so many years.
— MIX 105.1 (@MIX1051) August 11, 2015
- Writer’s Block Bookstore and Quantum Leap Winery Announce Upcoming Wine * Wisdom * Words Events - June 21, 2018
- Pirates Dinner Adventure To Reopen July 4 After Hurricane Irma Damage - June 19, 2018
- Chef Gary Appelsies Launches Free Central Florida YMCA Summer Food Tour - June 18, 2018
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Debuts New ‘Jurassic World’ Kids’ Suites - June 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup June 16, 2018: Cask & Larder, Pizza Bruno, Pharmacy, Paddlefish, and More - June 16, 2018
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts Ron Pope June 29, 2018 - June 15, 2018
- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Removes All Single-Use Plastic Shopping Bags and Plastic Straws from its 12 Theme Parks - June 14, 2018
- Nicki Minaj And Future bring their ‘NickiHndrxx’ Tour to Amway Center Oct 20, 2018 - June 13, 2018
- Orlando Science Center Celebrates Superhero Week June 14-17, 2018 - June 12, 2018
- Coke Zero Sugar 400 Weekend Roars Into Daytona International Speedway July 5-7, 2018 @DISupdates - June 11, 2018