Popular Orlando radio personality Scott McKenzie passed away the morning of August 11, 2015, after a long seven-year battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
McKenzie, born Scott Alan Friedman 59 years ago, had been part of the MIX 105.1 morning crew for over 24 years and often referred to it as “the job of a lifetime.” In a piece he wrote for the station’s website last week, he mentioned a good luck charm routine he had of pressing his microphone’s “on” button a few extra seconds to remind himself how lucky he is to be able to what he loves.
In addition to being a huge part of Orlando radio, McKenzie was also involved in Orlando’s charitable communities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Children’s Miracle Network, and the Coalition For The Homeless of Central Florida.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer issued the following statement yesterday: “We join in mourning the loss of Scott McKenzie. His passion for our City will be missed.”
McKenzie is surivived by his wife Fran, and their daughter, as well as his parents and siblings. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, that well-wishers make a donation to any of the above charities he was involved with.
Our condolences to Scott’s family, and our sincere thanks to him for entertaining us for so many years.
— MIX 105.1 (@MIX1051) August 11, 2015
- Meet the Local Actresses appearing in Waitress at Dr. Phillips Center March 20-25, 2018 - March 19, 2018
- The Great LEGO Race Opens March 23 at LEGOLAND Florida - March 18, 2018
- Winn-Dixie Announces Plans to Close Some Central Florida Stores Following Bankruptcy Filing - March 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup March 16, 2018: Urbain 40, Hunger Street Tacos, Morthan Cheese, and More - March 16, 2018
- Walt Disney World to Start Charging Resort Guests Overnight Parking Fees - March 15, 2018
- Yelp Restaurant Week Runs March 18-24 in Orlando #yelporlando - March 14, 2018
- Music Icon Richard Marx to Rock Plaza Live Orlando on March 18, 2018 - March 13, 2018
- JAY-Z And Beyoncé to Bring On The Run II Tour to Orlando’s Camping World Stadium Aug 29, 2018 - March 12, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2018 Picks For Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day - March 11, 2018
- 59th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival Returns March 16-18, 2018 - March 10, 2018