Verdi goes “On the Town” as Opera Orlando presents his comic “King for a Day” at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, March 4 and 5.
Set in the stunning Venetian Ballroom, the show will give audiences a front row seat to a hilarious wedding day gone wrong, with an updated English translation by stage director Andrew Nienaber, making his Opera Orlando debut.
In Verdi’s “King for a Day” (“Un giorno di regno” in the orignal Italian), two young lovers, Edoardo and Giulietta, want to get married, but the girl’s father, Baron Kelbar, wants her to marry his old friend and court treasurer.
The story is further compounded by another couple hoping to get their happy ending…
Belfiore, the opera’s “King for a Day,” loves the Marchesa but cannot marry her because the King has forbidden it. Frustrated with Belfiore, the Marchesa decides to make him jealous by announcing her marriage to Count Ivrea.
It is a tale as old as time, but with a fresh take by Nienaber and music director Keith Chambers.
They lead a cast headlined by the Company’s own Grammy Award-winning baritone Gabriel Preisser singing the role of Belfiore, joined by Metropolitan Opera soprano Kirsten Chambers, making her Opera Orlando debut as the Marchesa.
International bass Valerian Ruminski will also be making his Company debut as the ridiculous Baron Kelbar, with current studio artists baritone Geoffrey Peterson and mezzo-soprano Laura Zahn singing the roles of the Baron’s best friend and confidante, the treasurer La Rocca, and his daughter Giulietta, respectively.
Tickets are $150 per person. Food, drink, and self-parking are included for this immersive production. Shows are at 7:30pm both nights.
For more information, or to purchase tickets, visit OperaOrlando.org/King.
Audiences for the Saturday, March 5 performance will get to enjoy a special Venetian Appetizer musical program, presented in partnership with the University of Florida.
Students from the UF opera program will sing Neapolitan art songs and opera favorites as a pre-show from 6:30 to 7:30pm and then a post-show reception follows the performance where audiences can meet the cast and keep the party going.
- Huey Magoo’s to Grand Open in Downtown Orlando August 17, 2022 .. #HueyMagoos #OrlandoFoodies #DowntownOrlando - August 16, 2022
- SeaWorld Orlando Issues Challenge for National Roller Coaster Day Aug. 16 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #RollerCoasters #NationalRollerCoasterDay - August 15, 2022
- Universal Orlando To Host Passholder Appreciation Days Aug 15 – Sept 30, 2022 .. #UniversalOrlando #UOAP #PassholderAppreciationDays - August 12, 2022
- ‘Sip And Savor’ Highlights Orlando Restaurants And Bars Aug 8-21, 2022 .. #SipandSavorOTown #Foodies #EatLocal - August 8, 2022
- SeaWorld Orlando Craft Beer Festival Returns Starting Aug 5, 2022 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #CraftBeer #Orlando - August 4, 2022
- Brightline Construction Road Closures for August 2022 .. #Brightline #Orlando - August 3, 2022
- Museum of Illusions Orlando Hosting Back-To-School Giveaway Aug 1-7, 2022 .. #MuseumofIllusions #MOIOrlando #ICONPark - July 31, 2022
- Bites & Bubbles Kicks Off Happy Hour August 1, 2022 .. #BitesandBubbles #HappyHour #OrlandoHappyHours - July 30, 2022
- Florida Back To School Sales Tax Holiday Returns July 25-Aug 7, 2022 .. #SchoolTaxHoliday #BacktoSchool #FloridaSchools - July 24, 2022
- MagicBand+ Launches at Walt Disney World July 27 .. #WaltDisneyWorld #MagicBandPlus - July 21, 2022