Yesterday I attended the opening dedication ceremony at Walt Disney World for the new Space 220 restaurant at EPCOT, then had a chance to sample the lunch menu.
The ceremony featured executives from Patina Restaurant Group, Delaware North (Patina Restaurant Group’s parent company), Disney, and very special guests Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse (as seen above).
The restaurant entrance is located on the side of the Mission: Space attraction in Future World, and upon entering the main lobby, guests will check in for their “boarding pass” to enter the “elevator.”
According to the story, Space 220 is located on the Centauri Space Station, so all guests must take the elevator to and from EPCOT. It’s a large room which surrounds a viewing screen in the floor. A companion screen is on the ceiling, and once the elevator starts its journey, guests can choose to watch Earth fade away on the floor or the space station approaching on the ceiling.
I thought it was fun and added to the space theme of the dining experience.
Once at the station, guests travel down a few corridors with a window that overlooks a spinning space garden.
The dining room is large and split into two levels, with a wall of huge “windows” on one side offering views of Earth, as well as spaceships and astronauts at random intervals. It is a working space station after all. Look closely and you could catch some fun things happening in space while you dine.
The dining room is mobility accessible, with a ramp to the lower level, but those in scooters may have an easier time dining the upper level. My walker traversed the ramp and lower level fine, but it was tight in some areas.
The menus are prix fixe, and the lunch menu offers choices of one Lift-Offs (Appetizer) and one Star Course (Entrée) for $55.
I enjoyed the “Big Bang Burrata” to start. The sunflower seed Romesco sauce really complemented the burrata nicely, and the arugula and grilled artichoke hearts side salad was a nice balance to the richness of the cheese.
Due to food allergies, I couldn’t eat a lot of the more elaborate entrees, so I chose the Centauri Burger (a hearty house beef blend with white cheddar, thick backon, shredded lettuce, tomato, and sriracha aioli) which came cooked to order with a side of fried potato wedges and an extra thick housemade garlicky pickle slice. It was delicious and filling.
Drinks and desserts are additional at lunch. My drink choice was the Zero Proof (non-alcoholic) “Moon Rocks” which tasted like liquid cotton candy and came with a side of pop rocks.
It also came with a pack of limited edition Space 220 trading cards featuring cool artwork and corresponding information on the back. If you order a Zero Proof cocktail or a kid’s meal, you get a pack.
If you want more details on the restaurant, head over to The Disney Blog, where I go in depth on the ceremony, the restaurant, and the meal.
Until September 26, they are not taking reservations…Space 220 is walk-in only, and the line can be so very long. I suggest getting there immediately after park open for a chance of getting in. Otherwise they are taking reservations for dining September 27 and beyond, but I heard a lot of dates were booked when they became available yesterday.
Space 220 is going to be a popular restaurant for quite a while, I think. The food is great, but it’s the theming that makes this place a Disney must-do.
Thanks to Patina Group, Delaware North, Disney, and The Disney Blog for coordinating my visit!
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘Ain’t Too Proud – The Life and Times of The Temptations’ At Dr. Phillips Center Jan 25-30, 2022 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @AintTooProud #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - January 17, 2022
- Actor/Comedian Bob Saget Passes Away in Orlando at 65 .. #BobSaget - January 9, 2022
- Out and About: Live Entertainment and a New Menu Return to Mango’s Tropical Café in Orlando .. #MangosOrlando #IDrive @OrlandoMangos - December 13, 2021
- Opera Orlando Presents ‘The Secret River’ World Premiere at Dr. Phillips Center Dec. 17-19, 2021 .. #OperaOrlando #TheSecretRiver #DrPhillipsCenter - December 10, 2021
- Out and About: Hawkers Asian Street Food Has Fun New Cocktails for the 2021 Holidays .. #EatHawkers #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoDrinks - December 9, 2021
- Holidays In Space Returns To Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Dec 17 – 31, 2021 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #HolidaysInSpace - November 29, 2021
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘The Prom’ At Dr. Phillips Center Dec 7-12, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @ThePromMusical #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - November 28, 2021
- 4th Annual FusionFest Returns To Downtown Orlando Nov 27-28, 2021 .. #FusionFest #OrlandoArts - November 23, 2021
- Holidays At LEGOLAND Return To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 26, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #OrlandoHolidays #HolidaysatLEGOLAND - November 22, 2021
- Iron Chef Morimoto Returns to Morimoto Asia to Host Events in Dec 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #OrlandoFoodies - November 21, 2021