Orlando Shakes, in partnership with UCF, presents Playfest 2019, featuring seven readings of new plays in development, November 1-3 and 8-9.
This season’s PlayFest lineup will feature groundbreaking new works from Kara Lee Corthron, Emily Dendinger, David Valdes, Richard Henry and Eric Hissom, Michael Hollinger, Jan Neuberger, and Tammy Ryan.
“PlayFest is such an incredible event because it brings together artists and patrons on the local and national level, while serving our company’s mission to foster the growth of thought-provoking new plays,” said Cynthia White, Director of New Play Development at Orlando Shakes.
Here are the Playfest 2019 readings:
By Tammy Ryan
Friday, November 1, 2019 at 8pm
The Wake by Tammy Ryan brings Maggie and Rosemary home to the Florida Coast for their sister Colleen’s wake — in the wake of Hurricane Colleen.
DIRECTOR: Cynthia White
CAST: Laura Hodos* as Maggie Lynch, Ginger Lee McDermott* as Rosemary Lynch, Tim WIlliams* as Doyle, and Cameron Francis* as Ed.
The Virgin Queen Entertains Her Fool
By Michael Hollinger
Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 4pm
Michael Hollinger’s witty comedy The Virgin Queen Entertains Her Fool tells the tale of three people sharing the Queen’s death chamber and trying to leverage her death to bring themselves to power after she is gone. Set in the past in an unknown European country with timeless allusions.
DIRECTOR: Dan Kremer
CAST: Cynthia Beckert* as Adalia, Meghan Moroney* as Mare, Kyle Masteller as Ermo, and Steven Lane* as Blanchard.
Shakespeare and the Zombie Plague of 1590
By Richard Henry and Eric Hissom
Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 8pm
Richard Henry and Eric Hissom bring new laughs by inviting zombies to Shakespeare’s canon that we know and love in their play Shakespeare and the Zombie Plague of 1590.
DIRECTOR: Jason Parrish
CAST: To be announced.
Way Beyond Water
By Jan Neuberger
Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 2:30pm
In the Alabama Wiregrass of 1963, Earl McCall is dying. So is his pal Jim Crow. Their shared demise unearths buried secrets, exposing at once the iron grip and the fragility of a tragic connection that binds two women together.
DIRECTOR: Roberta Emerson
CAST: Candice Critchfield as Jane Rose Handy, Jennifer Fraser as Jane Rose Handy at 17, Trenell Mooring* as Alvanette Jackson, Elisabeth Christie as Alvanette Jackson at 17, and Mark Brotherton* as Earl McCall.
Up the Ladder, Down the Slide
By David Valdes
Friday, November 8, 2019 at 8pm
Three is definitely a crowd in this beautifully relatable comedy. Up the Ladder, Down the Slide by David Valdes shares the story of three longtime best friends and their aging parents.
DIRECTOR: Nick Bublitz
CAST: To be announced.
What Are You Worth?
By Kara Lee Corthron
Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 4pm
Follow a ragtag group of friends and lovers – as well as slave and slavers – as they grapple with the meaning of human value through 800 years of people owning other people.
DIRECTOR: Chip Miller
CAST: To be announced.
The Grand Illusion Show
By Emily Dendinger
Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 8pm
We welcome back Emily Dendinger! In Emily Dendinger’s The Grand Illusion Show, Adelaide Herrmann must fight her nephew Leon with wit, will, and magic to win the rights to her dead husband’s magic show. “This play is a magic trick, and like all good magic tricks, what you think is happening in the text isn’t necessarily what’s really happening in the story.”
DIRECTOR: Tim Williams
CAST: Sissy Anne Quaranta as Adelaide Herrmann, Sarah E. Yarborough as Violet Winters, J.D. Sutton* as John Bolton, Ben Cohen as Leon Herrmann, and Hayden Palmer as Christopher Dalton.
*Member of Actors’ Equity Association
Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 6:30pm
Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 6:30pm
Price: $18 per person per evening
Share a drink and dinner with your fellow PlayFest attendees, playwrights, and artists in between readings in the Dr. Phillips Patron’s Room.
PlayFest is made possible through the generous support of the Basel-Kiene Family and City Beverages with additional support from Frank Santos & Dan Dantin. This project is funded in part by Orange County Government through the Arts & Cultural Affairs Program.
Tickets to individual PlayFest readings are $10, and may be purchased online at orlandoshakes.org, by phone at (407) 447-1700 ext. 1, or in person at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center (812 East Rollins Street).
PlayFest Passes ($56) and PlayFest VIP Passes ($100) are on sale now, and may be purchased by phone or in person.
- LEGOLAND Florida Unveils New Florida Prepaid Schoolhouse With College Scholarship Giveaway .. @LEGOLANDFlorida - November 19, 2019
- 4th Annual Florida Tiny House Festival Comes to Orlando November 22-24 .. @UnitedTinyHouse - November 18, 2019
- Out and About: Mia’s Italian Kitchen on I-Drive Adds Bottomless Dining Option to Menu .. @MiasItalian_Orl - November 17, 2019
- Aquatica Orlando Announces Florida’s First Dueling Water Slide to Debut in 2020 .. @AquaticaOrlando #RiptideRace - November 15, 2019
- Festival of Trees Turns Orlando Museum of Art Into Winter Wonderland Nov 16-24, 2019 .. @OMAOrlando #FestivalofTrees - November 14, 2019
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Presents ‘Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir’ Nov 15-23 .. @rollinscollege #OrlandoArts - November 12, 2019
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019