For nearly four decades, the streets of downtown Orlando would come alive with the year-ending Orlando Citrus Parade. This month, parade organizers announced the end of this signature event.
Spearheaded by Florida Citrus Sports, the event featured marching bands from high schools across the country as well as the participating Big Ten and SEC universities in the Citrus Bowl, making the event one of the largest sports-affiliated parades in the nation.
It began in 1980 and was traditionally held before New Year’s Day to celebrate bowl games at what is now Camping World Stadium.
Known for its signature citrus floats, decorated with oranges, grapefruits and tangerines, the parade also featured local and national celebrities, theme park characters from Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando, and more.
Unfortunately for the non-profit organization, operating costs, which averaged around $400,000 annually, just became too much. Rather than scale back the parade, they decided to end it on a high note.
Of course, never say never. Florida Citrus Sports says they would love to bring the Citrus Parade back if they could find the right sponsors.
Until then, in remembrance of a parade that lit up downtown Orlando every year in shades and smells of citrus, here are photos from the Orlando Citrus Parade in past years:
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Halloween 2020 In Central Florida .. #OrlandoHalloween #LoveOrlando - October 23, 2020
- Plaza Live Launches Outdoor ‘Front Porch Concerts’ Series .. #OrlandoArts #PlazaLiveOrlando - October 22, 2020
- Out and About: Burger World Tour Dining at Teak Neighborhood Grill .. #OrlandoRestaurants #DiningReview @TeakOrlando - October 21, 2020
- Tame Impala Announces Rescheduled Orlando Tour Date at Amway Center for 2021 .. @AmwayCenter @TameImpala - October 19, 2020
- LEGOLAND Florida Celebrates 9th Birthday with Special Pass Pricing and Peek at 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #ThemeParkNews - October 16, 2020
- Central Florida Zoo wins AZA award for the Urban Wildlife Information Network .. @CentralFLZoo @CitySanfordFL #CFLAttractions - October 15, 2020
- Out and About: Bottomless Brunching at Cafe Tu Tu Tango in Orlando .. @CafeTuTuTangoFL #OrlandoBrunch #OrlandoRestaurants - October 14, 2020
- Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream and Gideon’s Bakehouse Collaborate for National Dessert Day Oct 14 .. #OrlandoIceCream #OrlandoBakery - October 13, 2020
- I-Drive Businesses Form Orlando Entertainment District .. #IDrive #LoveOrlando @IDriveFun - October 13, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For October 12, 2020: Sonny’s BBQ, The New Standard, Tapa Toro, Orlando Meats, Rokka’s Market, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - October 12, 2020