I’ve loved musical theater ever since I was introduced to it as a child, but every once in a while, there’s a show that just exceeds all expectations. Such was my experience with seeing Hamilton last night at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in Orlando.
Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the musical tells the story of one of America’s Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton, who also was the founder of the nation’s financial system, the Federalist Party, the United States Coast Guard, and the New York Post newspaper.
But what Miranda did was take the normally boring subject of a historical figure and set it to a soundtrack infused with modern day rhythms and rap cadences.
And the cast of the touring production that performed last night’s show brought the musical to life by imbuing it with a vibrancy and playfulness that pulled the entire audience into the experience.
So many great performances that it’s difficult to single out just one, but I do have to say Joseph Morales as Hamilton really anchored the show with his energetic and nuanced performance.
Also of note were Shoba Narayan as Hamilton’s wife Eliza, Nik Walker as Aaron Burr, and Ta’Rea Campbell as Eliza’s sister Angelica. All were amazing singers, with voices full of emotion.
Furthermore, I have to give a shout out to Jon Patrick Walker, whose portrayal of King George called to mind Monty Python-era Eric Idle. He was the humorous high point of the show.
Hamilton is musical theater at its best, and I highly encourage you to see it before it leaves Orlando on February 10!
Disclaimer: I received tickets for the purposes of a review. As always, my opinions are my own, and 100% honest.
- The 28th Annual Florida Film Festival Announces Grand Jury and Audience Award Winners #FFF2019 - April 22, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Hosts Auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar National Tour on Saturday, April 20 @drphillipsctr #JesusChristSuperstar - April 18, 2019
- Party for the Planet Returns to Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 20-22, 2019 #EarthDay2019 #PartyforthePlanet - April 17, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2019 Picks For Easter Dining And Family Fun In Orlando - April 16, 2019
- Monster Jam World Finals XX Roll Into Orlando’s Camping World Stadium May 10-11, 2019 #MonsterJam - April 15, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Digital Ticket Lottery for Dear Evan Hansen #YouWillBeFound #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - April 12, 2019
- Five Reasons You Should Attend the 2019 Florida Film Festival #FFF2019 - April 11, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events for April 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - April 7, 2019
- Out and About: CityArts Opens in Historic Roger Kiene Building in Downtown Orlando - March 31, 2019
- Out and About: Tony Roma’s Serves Up Delicious New Classics Menu Through April 28, 2019 @TonyRomas - March 27, 2019