At a special presentation at the ESPN Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World, Special Olympics North America and Special Olympics Florida announced Orlando has been officially awarded and named the host city for the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games.
The Games are expected to be hosted at various venues across the Orlando area including, the YMCA Aquatic Center, the U.S. Tennis Association campus in Lake Nona, Walt Disney World Resort, and Boardwalk Bowl.
Additionally, the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games will also celebrate the 50th anniversary of Special Olympics Florida.
Taking place from June 5 through June 10 in 2022, more than 4,000 athletes, 10,000 volunteers, 1,500 coaches, and 75,000 fans from all 50 states and the District of Columbia will travel across the U.S. to unite and participate in one of the world’s most cherished sporting events.
Hosting the Games in the Orlando area comes with the potential to generate as much as $61 million dollars in economic impact for Central Florida.
“After a year-long bid process, we are proud that so many of our athletes, coaches, volunteers, families and fans will get to visit Florida for the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games,” said Joe Dzaluk, President and CEO of 2022 Special Olympics USA Games. “The USA Games will open our hearts and minds towards people with intellectual disabilities. This monumental endeavor will create a pivotal stage for Special Olympics and brings to light the passionate work Floridians have long been doing, including helping the outstanding athletes achieve their dreams and promote health, education, inclusion and acceptance.”
To learn more about the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games, or to get involved locally, please visit Special Olympics Florida’s website at specialolympicsflorida.org.
[photo courtesy Special Olympics Florida]
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party at Amway Center Sept 7-9 + Ticket Giveaway! - August 15, 2018
- Hyundai Hope On Wheels Presents Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children With $100,000 Award to Support Pediatric Cancer Research - August 14, 2018
- iHeart Radio Hosts Free Monster Jam® Triple Threat “Feast with the Beast” Zombie Bash at Ace Cafe Orlando Aug 17 - August 12, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup August 11, 2018: Tijuana Flats, Highball & Harvest, Foxtail Coffee, and More - August 11, 2018
- SeaWorld Orlando Hosts Thrill Fest Ride Night Aug 17 @seaworld - August 9, 2018
- Geek Out at Orlando Science Center’s ‘Science Night Live’ August 18 - August 8, 2018
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts The Fixx Aug 23, 2018 - August 6, 2018
- Westgate Resorts Opens All-Suite Cocoa Beach Resort - August 5, 2018
- Writer’s Block Bookstore and Quantum Leap Winery Present Author Sandra Brown Aug 9 - August 3, 2018
- Busch Gardens Tampa Offers Summer Deal on Howl-O-Scream 2018 Tickets #NowhereToHide @BuschGardens - August 2, 2018