Henri Landwirth, the beloved founder of Give Kids The World Village, passed away on April 16, 2018 at the age of 91.
Landwirth was a Holocaust survivor, a US Army veteran, a successful hotelier, a father, and philanthropist.
In 1969, Landwirth opened his first Holiday Inn franchise in Orlando, and by the 1980s, he began offering free rooms to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for use by families of terminally ill children, many of whom wished to visit Disney.
He started Give Kids The World in 1986, with the goal to grant vacations to terminally-ill children and their families. This led him to open the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee three years later to provide the accommodations and fun for his guests.
Since then, the resort has grown to 84 acres with 166 villa-style accommodations, restaurants, an ice-cream parlor, a movie/entertainment theater, rides, and so much more.
From the press release email GKTW sent out:
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Give Kids The World Village Founder Henri Landwirth at the age of 91. Henri leaves behind a legacy of making wishes and dreams come true for children with critical illnesses and their families.
The mission has continued at Give Kids The World for 32 years, and we will carry out Henri’s legacy here for as long as there is a need.”
His family will host a celebration of Henri Landwirth’s life April 28 , from 2pm to 3pm, at the Give Kids the World Village (210 South Bass Road; Kissimmee, FL 34746). They request you RSVP online at gktw.org.
[image courtesy of Give Kids The World]
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts The Wallflowers Oct 26 @HRHUniversalORL @TheWallflowers - October 16, 2018
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces New Annual Pass Program - October 15, 2018
- Wild Florida Hosts Sloth Week with Free Admission Oct 15-20 @WildFlorida - October 14, 2018
- Out and About: Sonny’s BBQ Celebrates National Pulled Pork Day 2018 with New Limited Menu Items - October 12, 2018
- Orlando International Airport Has Raised Parking Prices - October 11, 2018
- Annual Pink Off Park Celebration Returns October 19 in Winter Park - October 8, 2018
- Come Out With Pride 2018 Celebrates Orlando’s LGBTQ+ Community Oct 8-14 #KeepDancingOrlando @OrlandoPride - October 7, 2018
- Celebrate #NationalTacoDay 2018 on October 4 With These Orlando-Area Restaurants - October 4, 2018
- Infinity Falls to Open at SeaWorld Orlando October 4, 2018 - October 3, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events For October 2018 - October 1, 2018