Henri Landwirth, the beloved founder of Give Kids The World Village, passed away on April 16, 2018 at the age of 91.
Landwirth was a Holocaust survivor, a US Army veteran, a successful hotelier, a father, and philanthropist.
In 1969, Landwirth opened his first Holiday Inn franchise in Orlando, and by the 1980s, he began offering free rooms to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for use by families of terminally ill children, many of whom wished to visit Disney.
He started Give Kids The World in 1986, with the goal to grant vacations to terminally-ill children and their families. This led him to open the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee three years later to provide the accommodations and fun for his guests.
Since then, the resort has grown to 84 acres with 166 villa-style accommodations, restaurants, an ice-cream parlor, a movie/entertainment theater, rides, and so much more.
From the press release email GKTW sent out:
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Give Kids The World Village Founder Henri Landwirth at the age of 91. Henri leaves behind a legacy of making wishes and dreams come true for children with critical illnesses and their families.
The mission has continued at Give Kids The World for 32 years, and we will carry out Henri’s legacy here for as long as there is a need.”
His family will host a celebration of Henri Landwirth’s life April 28 , from 2pm to 3pm, at the Give Kids the World Village (210 South Bass Road; Kissimmee, FL 34746). They request you RSVP online at gktw.org.
[image courtesy of Give Kids The World]
- Walt Disney World Resort to Offer Special 4-Park Magic Tickets in 2019 - January 17, 2019
- LEGOLAND® Florida Offers New Free Florida Resident Preschool Pass - January 15, 2019
- Don’t Miss Your Shot! Hamilton Comes to the Dr. Phillips Center Jan 22-Feb 10, 2019! @DrPhillipsCtr - January 14, 2019
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks For Free On January 17, 2019 - January 14, 2019
- 2019 Preschool Card Returns for Free Admission to SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica for Florida Kids - January 13, 2019
- The 2019 Florida State Fair Comes to Tampa Feb 7-18 + Win Tickets! #MyFloridaStateFair @FLStateFair - January 12, 2019
- Go Behind-The-Scenes at SeaWorld Orlando During Inside Look Weekends in January - January 11, 2019
- Orlando Science Center Hosts #Otronicon Edition of Science Night Live Jan 19, 2019 - January 10, 2019
- Aquatica® Orlando Becomes First Water Park In The World To Be A Certified Autism Center - January 9, 2019
- Go Back 20 Years with The Pauses 1998 Tribute Show Weekend at Will’s Pub Jan 11-12 - January 8, 2019