Henri Landwirth, the beloved founder of Give Kids The World Village, passed away on April 16, 2018 at the age of 91.
Landwirth was a Holocaust survivor, a US Army veteran, a successful hotelier, a father, and philanthropist.
In 1969, Landwirth opened his first Holiday Inn franchise in Orlando, and by the 1980s, he began offering free rooms to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for use by families of terminally ill children, many of whom wished to visit Disney.
He started Give Kids The World in 1986, with the goal to grant vacations to terminally-ill children and their families. This led him to open the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee three years later to provide the accommodations and fun for his guests.
Since then, the resort has grown to 84 acres with 166 villa-style accommodations, restaurants, an ice-cream parlor, a movie/entertainment theater, rides, and so much more.
From the press release email GKTW sent out:
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Give Kids The World Village Founder Henri Landwirth at the age of 91. Henri leaves behind a legacy of making wishes and dreams come true for children with critical illnesses and their families.
The mission has continued at Give Kids The World for 32 years, and we will carry out Henri’s legacy here for as long as there is a need.”
His family will host a celebration of Henri Landwirth’s life April 28 , from 2pm to 3pm, at the Give Kids the World Village (210 South Bass Road; Kissimmee, FL 34746). They request you RSVP online at gktw.org.
[image courtesy of Give Kids The World]
- Bite30 Returns July 15-August 16, 2020 To Tantalize Taste Buds .. #Bite30 #Foodies #OrlandoRestaurants - July 13, 2020
- Spooky Empire Cancels 2020 Events and Announces 2021 Dates .. #SpookyEmpire #HorrorConventions - July 12, 2020
- SeaWorld Orlando Hosts “Flicks & Fireworks” This Weekend .. #SeaWorldOrlando #FlicksFireworks - July 8, 2020
- Tango Cares Needs Your Help to Feed Orlando’s Unemployed Hospitality Workers .. #TangoCares #MiasItalianKitchen #CafeTuTuTango - July 6, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 5, 2020: The Old Jailhouse, Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream, Chef Bruno Fonseca, Shake Shack, And More .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoRestaurants - July 5, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2020 .. #4thofJuly #Fireworks #Grilling - July 1, 2020
- The Bourne Stuntacular to Grand Open at Universal Orlando June 30, 2020 with Sneak Peek Online June 29 .. #UniversalOrlando #BourneStuntacular #ThemeParkNews - June 29, 2020
- Florida Suspends Alcohol Consumption at Bars Again Due to COVID-19 .. #FloridaBars #DoYourPart - June 28, 2020
- Orange County Florida Launches New “Safer, Stronger, Together” Campaign for Businesses & Residents to Combat COVID-19 Spread .. #DoYourPartORL #VisitOrlando @OrangeCoFL - June 27, 2020
- Walt Disney World to Give Magic Kingdom’s Splash Mountain New ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Theme .. #WaltDisneyWorld #SplashMountain #ThePrincessandtheFrog #Tiana - June 26, 2020