Henri Landwirth, the beloved founder of Give Kids The World Village, passed away on April 16, 2018 at the age of 91.
Landwirth was a Holocaust survivor, a US Army veteran, a successful hotelier, a father, and philanthropist.
In 1969, Landwirth opened his first Holiday Inn franchise in Orlando, and by the 1980s, he began offering free rooms to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for use by families of terminally ill children, many of whom wished to visit Disney.
He started Give Kids The World in 1986, with the goal to grant vacations to terminally-ill children and their families. This led him to open the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee three years later to provide the accommodations and fun for his guests.
Since then, the resort has grown to 84 acres with 166 villa-style accommodations, restaurants, an ice-cream parlor, a movie/entertainment theater, rides, and so much more.
From the press release email GKTW sent out:
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Give Kids The World Village Founder Henri Landwirth at the age of 91. Henri leaves behind a legacy of making wishes and dreams come true for children with critical illnesses and their families.
The mission has continued at Give Kids The World for 32 years, and we will carry out Henri’s legacy here for as long as there is a need.”
His family will host a celebration of Henri Landwirth’s life April 28 , from 2pm to 3pm, at the Give Kids the World Village (210 South Bass Road; Kissimmee, FL 34746). They request you RSVP online at gktw.org.
[image courtesy of Give Kids The World]
- Out and About: Walt Disney World Opens Space 220 Restaurant at EPCOT .. #Space220 #EPCOT #DisneyDining #WaltDisneyWorld - September 21, 2021
- Space 220 Restaurant Opens at EPCOT Sept 20, 2021 .. #Space220 #EPCOT #DisneyDining - September 17, 2021
- SeaWorld Orlando Welcomes Families to SeaWorld Spooktacular® Starting Sept 18, 2021 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #HalloweenSpooktacular - September 16, 2021
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Returns Oct 29-30, 2021 .. #SwanandDolphin #FoodandWineClassic #OrlandoFoodies - September 15, 2021
- Visit Orlando Extends Magical Dining Until October 17, 2021 .. #VisitOrlando #MagicalDining #OrlandoRestaurants - September 14, 2021
- Out and About: Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining at JALEO at Disney Springs .. #VisitOrlando #MagicalDining #Jaleo #DisneySprings - September 13, 2021
- SeaWorld Orlando Extends Craft Beer Festival Through October 31, 2021 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #CraftBeer - September 12, 2021
- ICON Park honors First Responders on 20th Anniversary of 9/11 .. #ICONPark #FirstResponders - September 10, 2021
- Ramen Rumble 4 Comes to Morimoto Asia at Disney Springs Sept 28, 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #RamenRumble4 - September 10, 2021
- Rib & Whiskey Menu Returns to Marlow’s Tavern Locations .. #MarlowsTavern #RibsAndWhiskey - September 9, 2021