Henri Landwirth, the beloved founder of Give Kids The World Village, passed away on April 16, 2018 at the age of 91.
Landwirth was a Holocaust survivor, a US Army veteran, a successful hotelier, a father, and philanthropist.
In 1969, Landwirth opened his first Holiday Inn franchise in Orlando, and by the 1980s, he began offering free rooms to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for use by families of terminally ill children, many of whom wished to visit Disney.
He started Give Kids The World in 1986, with the goal to grant vacations to terminally-ill children and their families. This led him to open the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee three years later to provide the accommodations and fun for his guests.
Since then, the resort has grown to 84 acres with 166 villa-style accommodations, restaurants, an ice-cream parlor, a movie/entertainment theater, rides, and so much more.
From the press release email GKTW sent out:
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Give Kids The World Village Founder Henri Landwirth at the age of 91. Henri leaves behind a legacy of making wishes and dreams come true for children with critical illnesses and their families.
The mission has continued at Give Kids The World for 32 years, and we will carry out Henri’s legacy here for as long as there is a need.”
His family will host a celebration of Henri Landwirth’s life April 28 , from 2pm to 3pm, at the Give Kids the World Village (210 South Bass Road; Kissimmee, FL 34746). They request you RSVP online at gktw.org.
[image courtesy of Give Kids The World]
- Electric Ocean Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Memorial Day Weekend - May 23, 2018
- Orlando Officially Named Host City For 2022 Special Olympics USA Games - May 21, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup May 19, 2018: Taste Central Florida, Habit Burger, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, and More - May 19, 2018
- IAAPA Breaks Ground on New International Headquarters in Orlando - May 18, 2018
- MEGACON Orlando to give First Look at New Madame Tussauds’ Justice League Exhibit - May 16, 2018
- Headliners Announced for Rock the Universe 2018 at Universal Orlando - May 14, 2018
- Out and About: Orlando Welcomes 72 Million Visitors in 2017 #VisitOrlando - May 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Mother’s Day 2018 - May 10, 2018
- Schedule Announced for Sunset Music Festival in Tampa May 26-27, 2018 #SMF2018 - May 9, 2018
- Reading is Magical with Disney on Ice and the Orlando Public Library on May 10, 2018 - May 8, 2018