This month marks the 50th Anniversary of the debut of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, and Rollins College in Winter Park is honoring its famous alumnus with a self-guided walking tour.
Now through March 20, the tour will showcase Mister Rogers’ memorabilia on display at the Rollins College campus.
The tour begins at the Cornell Fine Arts Museum, where Mister Rogers’ sweater and sneakers, which he gave to the College, will be on display.
It then visits four other stops:
- Tiedtke Concert Hall, home to a large portrait of Rogers, painted by local artist Don Sondag
- Rogers’ old dormitory at Lyman Hall, which features a stone from his hometown in Latrobe, Pennsylvania
- Strong Hall, where a marble plaque engraved with Rogers’ motivational phrase “Life is for Service,” is mounted
- Olin Library, where his personal collection of books, letters and photos are there for all to see.
Rogers graduated magna cum laude from Rollins College in 1951 with a degree in music composition. He met his wife, Sara Joanne Byrd, while attending classes. In 1996 the McFeely-Rogers Foundation established a scholarship at Rollins for aspiring musicians.
“The walking tour is our way of honoring the time that Fred Rogers spent on our campus as a student and the many ways he continues to influence the Rollins community,” says President Grant Cornwell. “His messages of self-esteem, inclusiveness, and respect still resonate clearly in our community engagement endeavors and beyond.”
For more information, visit rollins.edu.
[Images courtesy Rollins College]
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces 2019-2020 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando Season @drphillipsctr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 15, 2019
- Out and About: Cheddar’s Adds New Comfort Food Dishes to the Menu #CheddarsScratchKitchen #csktvtheloop - February 14, 2019
- Pentatonix and Rachel Platten Bring World Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center June 1 #PTXTheWorldTour - February 13, 2019
- Walt #Disney World Offering New Dining Package for Final Months of IllumiNations at Epcot - February 13, 2019
- 142nd Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 15-17, 2019 #SilverSpursRodeo - February 12, 2019
- Free Indie-Folkfest 2019 Returns to the Mennello Museum of American Art Feb 16 @MennelloMuseum - February 11, 2019
- Weekend of the Arts Festival Returns to Winter Park Feb 15-18, 2019 #WPInspires - February 10, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Valentine’s Day 2019 in Orlando and Central Florida - February 9, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando’s Seven Seas Food Festival Celebrates International Street Food Feb 9 – May 5, 2019 - February 8, 2019
- Osceola County Fair Celebrates 75th Anniversary Starting Feb 8, 2019 @OsceolaCoFair #OsceolaCountyFair - February 7, 2019