Orlando Navy Week kicks off today with a variety of virtual events designed to give Americans an opportunity to learn about their Navy, its people, and its importance to national security.
The Navy Week program has served as the Navy’s principal outreach effort into areas of the nation without a significant Navy presence, with over 250 Navy Weeks held in 80 different U.S. cities.
Among the events scheduled to view online through April 18 are:
- Watch video messages from Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demings and City of Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer today at noon (April 12) officially kicking off Navy Week.
- The Lake Eola Fountain will be lit BLUE in honor of Navy Week this evening (April 12).
- Take a tour of the USS Constitution today at 1pm (April 12), and go behind-the-scenes during the Evening Colors for Orlando presentation tomorrow at 7:22pm (April 13)
- Join a conversation featuring top Women in Navy Tech for a panel discussion on achieving success in the male-dominated tech industry and STEM fields on April 14 at 10am.
- Enjoy Navy Band Southeast’s performance of the “Mr. Rogers Medley” by the late Fred Rogers on April 14 at 12:45pm.
Orlando used to be home to a naval training center, in what is now known as Baldwin Park. The Orlando NTC made military history in 1973 when female recruits began training at the site alongside the men. It was closed in stages, beginning in 1995, with final closure in April 1999. The land was bought by developers who then transformed it into what is now known as Baldwin Park.
The Blue Angels, the Navy Parachute Team, Navy bands, Navy divers, namesake ship and submarine crews, hometown Sailors, medical personnel, Nav environmental, USS Constitution Sailors and equipment, and Navy recruiting all participate in the Navy Week program.
For more information, including the full calendar of events and links to watch, visit outreach.navy.mil/Virtual-Outreach.
- Taco Bell Tests Vegan Crunchwrap in Orlando - June 8, 2023
- Out and About: Broadway Takes Orlando “Into the Woods” And It’s a Hilarious Journey - June 7, 2023
- Fun Spot America Theme Parks Celebrates 25th Anniversary with $25 Ticket Deal on June 10, 2023 - June 6, 2023
- Daytona Lagoon in Daytona Beach Launches Summer Character Series June 4, 2023 - May 30, 2023
- Dr. Phillips Center to Host Broadway’s ‘Into the Woods’ For Only Florida Shows June 6-11, 2023 - May 28, 2023
- Orlando VA Healthcare System to Host Memorial Day Ceremony on May 26, 2023 - May 24, 2023
- Lonely Dog Immersive Experience Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 27-28, 2023 - May 22, 2023
- Visit Orlando Announces Increase in Visitation Numbers for 2022 Ranking City #1 U.S. Travel Destination - May 12, 2023
- The 32nd Annual Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival Kicks Off May 16, 2023 - May 9, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks To Celebrate Mother’s Day 2023 - May 7, 2023