Discover Dr. Ruth’s remarkable life story when Orlando Shakes presents “Becoming Dr. Ruth” at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center from Jan 8 – Feb 9, 2020.
In this incredible one-woman performance, actress Eileen DeSandre embodies media personality Dr. Ruth in a tell-all reflection of her extraordinary life.
“So many people know Dr. Ruth Westheimer as the radio and TV sex therapist. However, there is so much more to her incredible life journey,” says Valeria Shapiro, Orlando Shakes Board Secretary and sponsor of this production.
“In the play, Becoming Dr. Ruth, by the well known playwright Mark St. Germain (Best of Enemies, Freud’s Last Session), we learn the amazing real story of Dr. Ruth, the Holocaust survivor, who refused to define herself by her early experience and, instead, has lived and continues to live a life of determined optimism, helping and inspiring others to this day. This is a great story of resilience and hope that we want to share with all our friends in Central Florida.”
The artistic team includes Director Cynthia White, Scenic Designer Bert Scott, Lighting & Projection Designer Rob Siler, Costume Designer Alison Reid, and Sound Designer Britt Sandusky.
“Becoming Dr. Ruth” has a warning for strong sexual content.
Ticket and performance information is below. Visit OrlandoShakes.org for more information or to purchase tickets.
PERFORMANCE INFORMATION AND RELATED EVENTS
- Preview Dates: January 8 & 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Opening Date: January 10 at 7:30 p.m.
- Senior Matinees: January 15, 22, 29, & February 5 at 2 p.m.
- Talk Back Performance: January 26 at 2 p.m.
- Opening Night Party & Pre-Show Chat: Friday, January 10
Arrive at 6:15 p.m. to enjoy free light appetizers, followed by a brief, informative discussion about the creative process with the director and members of the creative team. Free to all opening night ticket holders. No RSVP necessary.
- Guest Talkback: A Holocaust Survivor’s: Sunday, January 19
After the performance on Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 2:00 pm, the Holocaust Memorial Resource and Education Center of Florida will host an intimate moderated chat with local Holocaust survivor, Sonja Marchensano. Listen to her story of hope, survival, and the challenges her family faced through the Holocaust.
- Wednesdays – Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and every Sunday and select Saturdays at 2:00 p.m. – starting at $30
- Preview Performances and Senior Matinees – starting at $20
DISCOUNTS (May not be combined with any other offers)
- Group Sales: 20% off groups of 10+
- Student Rush: $15 – 30 minutes prior to show w/ valid student ID
- Student and Active/Retired Military: $10 off single ticket prices w/ valid ID (Only available in Price Levels A and B)
- $25 Under 35: Patrons under 35 years old can purchase $25 tickets for evening and weekend matinee performances during January 22 – 26. Call the Box Office at (407) 447-1700 ext. 1 or purchase online with code word: 25UNDER35 (Only available in Price Levels B and C.)
- Aloma Bowl to Host Karaoke Idol Second Season Starting Jan 31 .. @Aloma_Bowl #karaoke - January 27, 2020
- Universal Orlando Mardi Gras 2020 Kicks Off Feb 1 With Parades, Live Concerts, and More .. @UniversalOrlando #MardiGras - January 26, 2020
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream Disney on Broadway Concert from Epcot Jan 25, 2020 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #Epcot #Disney - January 25, 2020
- Hawkers Asian Street Fare To Celebrate Chinese New Year Jan 25, 2020 .. #EatatHawkers - January 24, 2020
- First Look at ‘Harmonious’ Coming Epcot in 2020 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #Epcot - January 24, 2020
- ICON Park to Host Free Pro-Football Fan Nights Jan 24-25, 2020 .. @IconParkOrlando - January 23, 2020
- Space 220 Restaurant to Open Soon at Epcot - January 22, 2020
- Lucky’s Market to Close Nearly All Central Florida Stores by February 2020 .. @LuckysMarket - January 21, 2020
- Poo-Pourri Giant Poo Experience Tour to Make Orlando Stop January 24-26, 2020 .. @PooPourri - January 21, 2020
- 2020 AMP’d Series Showcases Local Talent at Dr. Phillips Center .. @DrPhillipsCtr - January 20, 2020