This week, Beautiful – The Carole King Musical is at Dr. Phillips Center, and I had the opportunity to see the show opening night.
The musical tells the story of singer-songwriter Carole King, starting with her teenage years in the 1950’s when she met her husband Gerry Goffin and the two began writing songs together.
I knew King had written a few of the classics from the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was amazed at how many songs she wrote that I didn’t know about.
Among the King/Goffin hits performed in the musical are “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” by The Shirelles, “One Fine Day” by The Chiffons, “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters, and “Pleasant Valley Sunday” by The Monkees.
They even wrote a song for their babysitter Little Eva – “The Loco-Motion” hit #1 on the charts and has been covered by Kylie Minogue in the 80s.
The musical also delves into King’s personal life, including troubles with her husband, and the birth of their daughter.
All of this leads up to King writing her hit album, Tapestry, and includes several songs from that, including “I Feel the Earth Move,” which closes the show.
This was an amazing show. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is at turns witty and funny, then poignant and emotional, and the musical performances take you right back to that era. I highly recommend seeing it if you can.
Tickets are still available for Beautiful – The Carole King Musical for shows through Sunday, May 8, at drphillipscenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received tickets for this review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 23, 2018: Pig Floyd’s, Pizza Bruno, Be Our Guest, and More - February 23, 2018
- February 22 is National Margarita Day – Where to Celebrate in the Orlando Area - February 22, 2018
- Busch Gardens Tampa Announces Concert Line-Up For 2018 Food & Wine Fest Starting March 3 - February 21, 2018
- 10th Annual Downtown Food & Wine Fest Returns to Lake Eola Park in Orlando Feb 24-25, 2018 - February 20, 2018
- Sonny’s BBQ Smokin’ Showdown Comes to Orlando March 3 + Win Tickets! #sonnysbbq - February 19, 2018
- Out and About: Selena Comes to Madame Tussauds Orlando - February 18, 2018
- Walt Disney World Announces Toy Story Land to Open June 30, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 16, 2018: The Glass Knife, MidiCi, Pammie’s Sammies, and More - February 16, 2018
- Universal Orlando Adds Jason Derulo and Jessie J to 2018 Mardi Gras Headliners - February 15, 2018
- MidiCi Kissimmee Hosts #IHeartMidiCi Charity Pizza Drive During Feb 2018 - February 14, 2018