In my younger days, the circus coming to town meant the promise of three rings of spectacular entertainment, buckets of popcorn, and dreams of running away from home to be a part of the show. The performers seemed larger than life, attempting feats of strength and bravery that few would even dare. When you needed a little relief, the clowns were there to cheer you up. I get all sniffly with nostalgia just thinking about it.
Today the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus attempts to keep that nostagia alive with its show “Legends.” Combining a variety of acts from around the globe, Ringling Bros. has shrunk the show from 3 rings to 1 (well one and a half). There’s not as much to see, but what you do see is high quality.
Of all the acts, the one we most look forward to is the elephants. Ringling Bros. is actually retiring the elephant acts from its shows beginning this May. So it was great to see them used in multiple portions of the show. I also enjoyed the The Riders of the Wind equestrian act and the Torres Family motorcycle stunts.
Be sure to arrive at the arena at least an hour early to take advantage of the All Access Pre-Show. You can walk the arena floor, meet performers, try on costumes, and see some of the acts up close, including a good bit of clowning around. Bring your camera and get photos that you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Learn more about Legends and be sure to see The Greatest Show on Earth when it comes to your town. In Orlando, you can still get tickets for the last performance today, Monday Jan 18th, at amwaycenter.com.
[Disclaimer: I was provided with tickets in exchange for a review. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.]
- Out and About: Jersey Boys Comes to Orlando…Is it Worth Seeing? - October 31, 2018
- Out and About: Arrival of Chef Tim Keating Makes Urbain 40 a Rising Star - June 6, 2017
- Out and About: Sampling the New LakeHouse Restaurant at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress - February 1, 2016
- Out and About: Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Legends – The Circus Comes to Town and Nostalgia Looms - January 18, 2016
- The Republic Ups the Game for Theatrical Audiences in Orlando Through July 25 - June 10, 2015