On Saturday, May 30, 2015, four space shuttle astronauts will be inducted into the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame during a public ceremony held at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction.
This year marks the historic 25th anniversary of the Hall of Fame, which was conceived in the 1980s by the six remaining Mercury astronauts as a place where space explorers could be remembered. Past Hall of Fame inductees include Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle astronauts.
The inductees for 2015 include: John Grunsfeld, Ph. D., a mission specialist and payload commander who flew five missions; on three of these, he performed extensive extravehicular activities (EVAs) to repair the ailing Hubble Space Telescope; Steven Lindsey (Colonel, USAF, Ret.) and Kent Rominger (Captain, USN, Ret.), former military aviators who became space shuttle pilots and commanders, each flying five space shuttle missions critical to the construction and support of the International Space Station; and M. Rhea Seddon, M.D., a medical doctor and one of NASA’s first female astronauts, who served as a mission specialist and payload commander on three life sciences missions.
More than 20 legendary astronauts are scheduled to attend including NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana, Apollo astronauts Walt Cunningham and Al Worden, and numerous space shuttle astronauts such as Bob Crippen, Eileen Collins, Dan Brandenstein, Charlie Precourt and Brewster Shaw.
Astronaut appearances, signing and photo opportunities will take place on the top floor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, prior to the ceremony on May 30:
- 10:30 – 11:30 am: Astronauts Dick Covey and Frank Culbertson
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Astronauts Al Worden and Bob Crippen
The 2015 Astronaut Hall of Fame Induction will take place at 2pm on Saturday, May 30. Admittance into the ceremony is included in admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; however, seating is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
- Electric Ocean Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Memorial Day Weekend - May 23, 2018
- Orlando Officially Named Host City For 2022 Special Olympics USA Games - May 21, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup May 19, 2018: Taste Central Florida, Habit Burger, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, and More - May 19, 2018
- IAAPA Breaks Ground on New International Headquarters in Orlando - May 18, 2018
- MEGACON Orlando to give First Look at New Madame Tussauds’ Justice League Exhibit - May 16, 2018
- Headliners Announced for Rock the Universe 2018 at Universal Orlando - May 14, 2018
- Out and About: Orlando Welcomes 72 Million Visitors in 2017 #VisitOrlando - May 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Mother’s Day 2018 - May 10, 2018
- Schedule Announced for Sunset Music Festival in Tampa May 26-27, 2018 #SMF2018 - May 9, 2018
- Reading is Magical with Disney on Ice and the Orlando Public Library on May 10, 2018 - May 8, 2018