On Saturday, May 30, 2015, four space shuttle astronauts will be inducted into the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame during a public ceremony held at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction.
This year marks the historic 25th anniversary of the Hall of Fame, which was conceived in the 1980s by the six remaining Mercury astronauts as a place where space explorers could be remembered. Past Hall of Fame inductees include Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle astronauts.
The inductees for 2015 include: John Grunsfeld, Ph. D., a mission specialist and payload commander who flew five missions; on three of these, he performed extensive extravehicular activities (EVAs) to repair the ailing Hubble Space Telescope; Steven Lindsey (Colonel, USAF, Ret.) and Kent Rominger (Captain, USN, Ret.), former military aviators who became space shuttle pilots and commanders, each flying five space shuttle missions critical to the construction and support of the International Space Station; and M. Rhea Seddon, M.D., a medical doctor and one of NASA’s first female astronauts, who served as a mission specialist and payload commander on three life sciences missions.
More than 20 legendary astronauts are scheduled to attend including NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana, Apollo astronauts Walt Cunningham and Al Worden, and numerous space shuttle astronauts such as Bob Crippen, Eileen Collins, Dan Brandenstein, Charlie Precourt and Brewster Shaw.
Astronaut appearances, signing and photo opportunities will take place on the top floor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, prior to the ceremony on May 30:
- 10:30 – 11:30 am: Astronauts Dick Covey and Frank Culbertson
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Astronauts Al Worden and Bob Crippen
The 2015 Astronaut Hall of Fame Induction will take place at 2pm on Saturday, May 30. Admittance into the ceremony is included in admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; however, seating is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
- Michael Bublé Returns to Central Florida Feb 2019 with Shows in Orlando and Tampa - November 18, 2018
- The Central Florida International Auto Show Rolls Into Orlando Thanksgiving Weekend + Ticket #Giveaway - November 14, 2018
- Backstreet Boys Return to Orlando with Amway Center Show Aug 24, 2019 @backstreetboys @amwaycenter - November 13, 2018
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces #HAMILTON Single Ticket On Sale Date For Orlando Shows @drphillipsctr - November 12, 2018
- Orlando Science Center to Host Thanksgiving Break Camps for Kids Nov 19-21, 2018 - November 12, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up – November 10: Urbain 40, Ford’s Garage, Taverna Opa, and More - November 10, 2018
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Welcomes Conductor Laura Jackson for Tchaikovsky & Mozart - November 8, 2018
- Get Your DIY On at Maker Faire Orlando November 10-11 #OrlandoMakers - November 6, 2018
- KIDZ BOP Weekend Returns to LEGOLAND Florida Nov 10-12, 2018 #BuiltForKids - November 3, 2018
- Festival Of Trees Returns to Orlando Museum Of Art Nov 10-18, 2018 @omaorlando - November 2, 2018