On Saturday, May 30, 2015, four space shuttle astronauts will be inducted into the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame during a public ceremony held at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction.
This year marks the historic 25th anniversary of the Hall of Fame, which was conceived in the 1980s by the six remaining Mercury astronauts as a place where space explorers could be remembered. Past Hall of Fame inductees include Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle astronauts.
The inductees for 2015 include: John Grunsfeld, Ph. D., a mission specialist and payload commander who flew five missions; on three of these, he performed extensive extravehicular activities (EVAs) to repair the ailing Hubble Space Telescope; Steven Lindsey (Colonel, USAF, Ret.) and Kent Rominger (Captain, USN, Ret.), former military aviators who became space shuttle pilots and commanders, each flying five space shuttle missions critical to the construction and support of the International Space Station; and M. Rhea Seddon, M.D., a medical doctor and one of NASA’s first female astronauts, who served as a mission specialist and payload commander on three life sciences missions.
More than 20 legendary astronauts are scheduled to attend including NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana, Apollo astronauts Walt Cunningham and Al Worden, and numerous space shuttle astronauts such as Bob Crippen, Eileen Collins, Dan Brandenstein, Charlie Precourt and Brewster Shaw.
Astronaut appearances, signing and photo opportunities will take place on the top floor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, prior to the ceremony on May 30:
- 10:30 – 11:30 am: Astronauts Dick Covey and Frank Culbertson
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Astronauts Al Worden and Bob Crippen
The 2015 Astronaut Hall of Fame Induction will take place at 2pm on Saturday, May 30. Admittance into the ceremony is included in admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; however, seating is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
- The 2018 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival Food and Drink Menus - February 25, 2018
- 2018 Atlanta Braves Spring Training Comes to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex - February 24, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 23, 2018: Pig Floyd’s, Pizza Bruno, Be Our Guest, and More - February 23, 2018
- February 22 is National Margarita Day – Where to Celebrate in the Orlando Area - February 22, 2018
- Busch Gardens Tampa Announces Concert Line-Up For 2018 Food & Wine Fest Starting March 3 - February 21, 2018
- 10th Annual Downtown Food & Wine Fest Returns to Lake Eola Park in Orlando Feb 24-25, 2018 - February 20, 2018
- Sonny’s BBQ Smokin’ Showdown Comes to Orlando March 3 + Win Tickets! #sonnysbbq - February 19, 2018
- Out and About: Selena Comes to Madame Tussauds Orlando - February 18, 2018
- Walt Disney World Announces Toy Story Land to Open June 30, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 16, 2018: The Glass Knife, MidiCi, Pammie’s Sammies, and More - February 16, 2018