On Saturday, May 30, 2015, four space shuttle astronauts will be inducted into the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame during a public ceremony held at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction.
This year marks the historic 25th anniversary of the Hall of Fame, which was conceived in the 1980s by the six remaining Mercury astronauts as a place where space explorers could be remembered. Past Hall of Fame inductees include Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle astronauts.
The inductees for 2015 include: John Grunsfeld, Ph. D., a mission specialist and payload commander who flew five missions; on three of these, he performed extensive extravehicular activities (EVAs) to repair the ailing Hubble Space Telescope; Steven Lindsey (Colonel, USAF, Ret.) and Kent Rominger (Captain, USN, Ret.), former military aviators who became space shuttle pilots and commanders, each flying five space shuttle missions critical to the construction and support of the International Space Station; and M. Rhea Seddon, M.D., a medical doctor and one of NASA’s first female astronauts, who served as a mission specialist and payload commander on three life sciences missions.
More than 20 legendary astronauts are scheduled to attend including NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana, Apollo astronauts Walt Cunningham and Al Worden, and numerous space shuttle astronauts such as Bob Crippen, Eileen Collins, Dan Brandenstein, Charlie Precourt and Brewster Shaw.
Astronaut appearances, signing and photo opportunities will take place on the top floor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, prior to the ceremony on May 30:
- 10:30 – 11:30 am: Astronauts Dick Covey and Frank Culbertson
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Astronauts Al Worden and Bob Crippen
The 2015 Astronaut Hall of Fame Induction will take place at 2pm on Saturday, May 30. Admittance into the ceremony is included in admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; however, seating is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating National Margarita Day - February 21, 2019
- Florida Strawberry Festival Brings The Yum To Plant City Feb 28-Mar 10, 2019 #BerryFest19 - February 20, 2019
- MegaCon Orlando Brings Star-Studded Fandom Fun May 16-19, 2019 #MegaConOrlando19 - February 19, 2019
- Chef José Andrés to open Jaleo and Pepe Restaurants at #Disney Springs Winter 2019 @ChefJoseAndres - February 18, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces 2019-2020 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando Season @drphillipsctr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 15, 2019
- Out and About: Cheddar’s Adds New Comfort Food Dishes to the Menu #CheddarsScratchKitchen #csktvtheloop - February 14, 2019
- Pentatonix and Rachel Platten Bring World Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center June 1 #PTXTheWorldTour - February 13, 2019
- Walt #Disney World Offering New Dining Package for Final Months of IllumiNations at Epcot - February 13, 2019
- 142nd Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 15-17, 2019 #SilverSpursRodeo - February 12, 2019
- Free Indie-Folkfest 2019 Returns to the Mennello Museum of American Art Feb 16 @MennelloMuseum - February 11, 2019