In honor of April being Autism Awareness Month, the world-renowned Blue Man Group have unveiled a yearlong partnership with Autism Speaks.
The BMG company pledges to give a $25,000 donation to the cause and will host at least one sensory-friendly show, suitable for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), in each of its markets.
For the sensory-friendly shows, slight modifications will be made including reducing sound and light levels at various moments during the performance and making headphones available upon request. The Blue Men will limit the amount of “chair walking” and keep their approach to the audience more subdued. Blue Man Group will also create calming environments in each theater’s lobby for families seeking a break from the excitement.
“We’ve heard from many families affected by autism that their children responded to the Blue Man character in a very moving way. We don’t know the exact reason. We can only speculate that it has to do with the Blue Men communicating in their own unique way — non-verbally, through visuals, touch and sound. Their message often resonates on a deeper, more sincere level,” said Phil Stanton, Blue Man Group Co-Founder. “Once we knew that we could be helpful or provide an outlet for those affected by autism, we felt it was important to do more. With our sensory-friendly shows, we want to create a safe and welcoming environment for individuals and families affected by this disorder, in the hopes that they can have an entertaining and joyful experience together.”
The sensory-friendly performance schedule can be found at blueman.com/autismspeaks. Fans can also keep up with Blue Man Group through Twitter at @bluemangroup, Facebook, Instagram or the hashtag #DareToLive. To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit AutismSpeaks.org.
- Places To Donate On #GivingTuesday 2023 In Central Florida - November 28, 2023
- Out and About: Jeff’s Bagel Run Introduces Holiday Flavors for the Season - November 22, 2023
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens Nov. 25, 2023-Jan. 01, 2024 - November 13, 2023
- The Holidays at Universal Orlando Return Nov. 17 Throughout the Resort - November 11, 2023
- HOLIDAYS at LEGOLAND Florida Return Nov. 24-Dec. 31, 2023 - November 10, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando’s 2023 Christmas Celebration Kicks Off Nov. 10 - November 9, 2023
- Get Free Tickets to ‘Thanksgiving’ Advance Movie Screening In Orlando - November 8, 2023
- Victory Productions Presents ‘Moonshine & Mistletoe: An Appalachian Christmas Tale’ at Garden Theatre in Winter Garden - November 7, 2023
- Wekiva Island Hosts 9th Annual Central Florida Fall EggFest Nov. 11, 2023 - November 6, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Guide to 2023 Veterans Day Events And Deals In Central Florida - November 5, 2023