In honor of April being Autism Awareness Month, the world-renowned Blue Man Group have unveiled a yearlong partnership with Autism Speaks.
The BMG company pledges to give a $25,000 donation to the cause and will host at least one sensory-friendly show, suitable for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), in each of its markets.
For the sensory-friendly shows, slight modifications will be made including reducing sound and light levels at various moments during the performance and making headphones available upon request. The Blue Men will limit the amount of “chair walking” and keep their approach to the audience more subdued. Blue Man Group will also create calming environments in each theater’s lobby for families seeking a break from the excitement.
“We’ve heard from many families affected by autism that their children responded to the Blue Man character in a very moving way. We don’t know the exact reason. We can only speculate that it has to do with the Blue Men communicating in their own unique way — non-verbally, through visuals, touch and sound. Their message often resonates on a deeper, more sincere level,” said Phil Stanton, Blue Man Group Co-Founder. “Once we knew that we could be helpful or provide an outlet for those affected by autism, we felt it was important to do more. With our sensory-friendly shows, we want to create a safe and welcoming environment for individuals and families affected by this disorder, in the hopes that they can have an entertaining and joyful experience together.”
The sensory-friendly performance schedule can be found at blueman.com/autismspeaks. Fans can also keep up with Blue Man Group through Twitter at @bluemangroup, Facebook, Instagram or the hashtag #DareToLive. To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit AutismSpeaks.org.
- ‘Art in Bloom’ returns to Orlando Museum of Art March 24-26, 2023 - March 21, 2023
- Out and About: JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando - March 20, 2023
- ‘TRON Lightcycle / Run’ at Magic Kingdom Enters Soft Opening Phase - March 19, 2023
- Little Radical Theatrics Presents ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ March 24-April 2, 2023 - March 15, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Adds St. Patrick’s Day Celebration and More Concerts to Seven Seas Food Festival - March 14, 2023
- Broadway In Orlando Presents ‘Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird’ at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center March 21-26, 2023 - March 13, 2023
- JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando March 18, 2023 - March 10, 2023
- Sloppy Joe’s Sponsors The Wheel at ICON Park With Special Offer for Guests in March - March 7, 2023
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Broadway in Orlando 23/24 Season Titles - March 6, 2023
- Universal Orlando Invites Foodies to Enjoy Mardi Gras 2023 at Its Resorts - March 3, 2023