The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex has announced that it will open the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit on June 29, 2013.
This $100 million project will feature the shuttle as its centerpiece. Atlantis will be suspended off the ground and placed at a 43-degree angle with its payload doors open and its robotic arm extended.
The 90,000-square-foot exhibit will also include 60 interactive stations detailing the history of the space shuttle program.
“Although the multimillion-dollar interactive exhibit encompasses much, much more than the display of Atlantis, there is no denying, she is truly the star of the show,” said Bill Moore, chief operating officer of Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. “We know that this majestic beauty, which safely ferried men and women to space and back on 33 successful missions, is the real reason that our guests will travel thousands of miles, across oceans and across continents to visit Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to see her in all her glory. There are no words to accurately describe the emotions and insights guests will gain when this attraction opens this summer, for there has truly never been anything like it before.”
Atlantis was rolled to its new home in a ceremony we covered last November. It has been covered in shrink wrap since then to protect it from construction dust and debris, and will be unwrapped in May, prior to the exhibit opening.
For more information on the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit, go to kennedyspacecenter.com.
- ‘Art in Bloom’ returns to Orlando Museum of Art March 24-26, 2023 - March 21, 2023
- Out and About: JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando - March 20, 2023
- ‘TRON Lightcycle / Run’ at Magic Kingdom Enters Soft Opening Phase - March 19, 2023
- MegaCon Orlando 2023: What You Need to Know - March 16, 2023
- Little Radical Theatrics Presents ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ March 24-April 2, 2023 - March 15, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Adds St. Patrick’s Day Celebration and More Concerts to Seven Seas Food Festival - March 14, 2023
- Broadway In Orlando Presents ‘Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird’ at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center March 21-26, 2023 - March 13, 2023
- JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando March 18, 2023 - March 10, 2023
- Sloppy Joe’s Sponsors The Wheel at ICON Park With Special Offer for Guests in March - March 7, 2023
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Broadway in Orlando 23/24 Season Titles - March 6, 2023