The Orlando Museum of Art (OMA) announces three new initiatives as part of an aggressive relaunch leading up to its centennial celebration in 2024.
The first is a series of six major upcoming exhibitions featuring works of noted artists Rembrandt, Botticelli, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Jackson Pollock. The new exhibits begin late September, and represent a departure from the Museum’s usual contemporary offerings, demonstrating a bold new vision which incorporates attention to traditional and other highly sought-after works of art as well.
Following the initial rollout, the Museum will unveil a singular, never-before-published masterpiece in January 2022. It is a signature massive drip painting from 1949 by the great American artist Jackson Pollock – Jackson Pollock and the Comstock Pollock: Newly Discovered, First Time Exhibited.
Second, the Museum’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously to file a letter of intent to pursue a downtown expansion of OMA as part of the SDG, LLC and Summa Development Group, LLC planned 33-story, 1 million-square-foot modern glass tower at Church, Lake and Pine Streets. The artist rendering is above, and it looks amazing.
The potential expansion would feature interactive educational facilities, offices, visitor services and notably, 30,000 square feet of additional exhibition space which would house some of the new exhibits and new collections.
The third initiative includes plans for renovation and repair of the Museum’s current Loch Haven location.
“We are celebrating our 2024 centennial with a commitment to be an even greater force in our community with two locations, highly regarded and sought-after works of art, and ultimately, a new dimension of unforgettable experiences at Orlando Museum of Art,” said Cynthia Brumback, Chair of the OMA Board of Trustees.
[image courtesy of Orlando Museum of Art]
- Orlando VA Healthcare System to Host Memorial Day Ceremony on May 26, 2023 - May 24, 2023
- Lonely Dog Immersive Experience Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 27-28, 2023 - May 22, 2023
- Visit Orlando Announces Increase in Visitation Numbers for 2022 Ranking City #1 U.S. Travel Destination - May 12, 2023
- The 32nd Annual Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival Kicks Off May 16, 2023 - May 9, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks To Celebrate Mother’s Day 2023 - May 7, 2023
- Broadway In Orlando Presents ‘My Fair Lady’ at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center May 9-14, 2023 - May 1, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Reveals Opening Date of Pipeline Coaster - April 30, 2023
- Out and About: ‘The Great Florida Road Trip’ Opens at The Wheel at ICON Park Orlando - April 28, 2023
- Limited Time ‘Shrimpwich’ Comes to Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips at ICON Park - April 26, 2023
- Broadway In Orlando Presents ‘Chicago’ 25th Anniversary Tour at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center April 18-23, 2023 - April 7, 2023