During its recent hiatus, Give Kids The World Village revamped its popular ice cream parlor, and it has reopened as Henri’s Starlite Scoops.
With the help of some of Walt Disney World Imagineers, in collaboration with Universal Creative and with support from community partners and individual donors, this sweet retreat was designed with accessibility in mind, and given a space-theme makeover.
Custom-built 28-inch tall ice cream chests in lieu of the traditional 34-inch cases make it possible for all children, including those in wheelchairs, to pick out their favorite flavors.
The shop also features lower countertops, an accessible ice cream toppings bar and an open floorplan to enable those in wheelchairs easy navigation within the venue and enjoy its immersive theming.
Walls inside the rotunda feature false windows that offer a glimpse into space, as if guests are dining inside a 30-foot flying saucer, which sits atop the building. Historic photos and NASA memorabilia – including a space suit, moon rover, and a Give Kids The World flag which John Glenn took with him on a Space Shuttle Mission – complete the out-of-this-world venue, which pays tribute to the life and legacy of Give Kids The World founder Henri Landwirth.
For 35 years, the 89-acre, whimsical nonprofit resort has delivered happiness and hope to critically ill children and their families through week-long, cost-free wish vacations. It is one of my favorite charities to support, and rated Four Stars by Charity Navigator, with 90 cents of every dollar going to its mission. Learn more at GKTW.org.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Guide to 2022 Holiday Events in Central Florida - November 30, 2022
- Places to Donate on Giving Tuesday 2022 in Central Florida - November 29, 2022
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The Holidays - November 25, 2022
- Central Florida And Orlando Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals For 2022 - November 24, 2022
- Celebrate Orlando’s Diversity at the Free FusionFest This Weekend - November 23, 2022
- Out and About: Christmas Nights in Lights is a Fun Family Holiday Drive-Through Event - November 21, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2022 In Orlando - November 18, 2022
- Out and About: SeaWorld Orlando Gives First Look at Ride Vehicle for New ‘Pipeline’ Coaster at IAAPA - November 16, 2022
- Out and About: 2022 Festival of Trees at Orlando Museum of Art Kicks off the Holidays - November 13, 2022
- 2022 Veterans Day Events And Deals In Central Florida - November 7, 2022