In 2021, ICON Park Orlando will become the “land of the giants” with the opening of two world record-breaking attractions: the ICON Park Slingshot™ and ICON Park Drop Tower.
Ground was broken for both on the southwest corner of the complex on January 29. In the group photo below (from left to right) are: Chris Jaskiewicz (ICON Park president and CEO), Commissioner Siplin, Maria Triscari (President and CEO of the International Drive Resort Area Chamber of Commerce) and Ritchie Armstrong (Owner of the two new attractions).
The ICON Park Slingshot will stand at 300 feet, making it the world’s tallest slingshot. The two-tower attraction will launch two riders out of an “exploding volcano” approximately 450 feet straight up into the sky, reaching speeds of up to 100 mph.
The ICON Park Drop Tower will stand at 430 feet, making it the world’s tallest free-standing drop tower. Thirty riders will be able to embrace the beautiful sites of ICON Park and I-Drive as the ride vehicle rotates around the gigantic tower and rises high into the skyline.
Once the ride vehicle reaches the top, it’ll tilt forward 30 degrees and face the ground for a brief moment before free falling nearly 400 feet at speeds reaching over 75 mph.
Expect many screams to be coming from that corner of ICON Park before the end of the year, as both attractions are scheduled to open in December 2021.
The $250 million, 20-acre complex is already home to the world’s tallest swing ride, the Orlando StarFlyer, which stands at 450 feet just north of the two new rides.
Learn more at ICONParkOrlando.com.
[Images courtesy ICON Park Orlando]
- Universal Orlando Reveals Mardi Gras 2023 Details Including Live Concert Line-Up - January 17, 2023
- ‘Wicked’ Returns To Orlando’s Dr Phillips Center For Extended Engagement Jan 25–Feb 12, 2023 - January 16, 2023
- The ‘Riverdance’ 25th Anniversary Show Dances into Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center Jan 20-22, 2023 - January 12, 2023
- Walt Disney World News: Opening Date for ‘TRON Lightcycle / Run’, Nighttime Shows Returning, and Updates for Guests and Passholders - January 10, 2023
- Chase Padgett Brings Acclaimed ‘6 Guitars’ Show to Orlando’s Renaissance Theatre Company January 6-29, 2023 - January 4, 2023
- Daytona Boat Show Returns to Daytona International Speedway Jan 13-15, 2023 - January 3, 2023
- ‘Tina – The Tina Turner Musical’ Rocks Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center Jan 10-15, 2023 - January 2, 2023
- Out And About: A New Publix Has Opened at Town Center at O-Town West - January 1, 2023
- The Wheel at ICON Park Evacuated After Power Outage on New Year’s Eve - January 1, 2023
- “Jurassic World Live Tour” Roars Into Orlando’s Amway Center Jan 13-16, 2023 + We Have a Discount Code! - December 30, 2022