Darden Restaurants has announced it is partnering with Feeding America and Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida to increase access to food for those in need in Orlando, via refrigerated trucks.
According to Feeding America, food insecurity has increased to impact one out of every six Americans, and rates are disproportionately high among communities of color. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Feeding America projects that one in six people could experience food insecurity, and people of color are even more likely to be impacted.
Through a $500,000 grant from the Darden Restaurants, Inc. Foundation and additional
support from Darden’s partners, Penske Truck Leasing and Lineage Logistics, five Feeding America food banks, including Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, will each receive a 26-foot refrigerated box truck to help increase access to nutritious food and address transportation needs in communities that need the help.
“As a restaurant company, we are uniquely positioned to make a meaningful difference in the fight against hunger, and we are proud to partner with Feeding America to make a positive impact in communities where it is needed most,” said Gene Lee, Chairman and CEO of Darden, in a press release.
These efforts go hand-in-hand with Darden’s Harvest program. Each day, every Darden restaurant collects surplus food that is not served to guests and prepares it for donation to local nonprofit partners. Since its inception, more than 120 million pounds of food — totaling more than 100 million meals — have been donated through the Harvest program.
Darden is a restaurant company headquartered in Orlando with a portfolio of brands that includes Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, Yard House, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Bahama Breeze, and Eddie V’s.
[Image courtesy of Darden]
- Universal Orlando Reopens Tonight After Hurricane Ian with Halloween Horror Nights .. #UniveralOrlando #HurricaneIan - September 30, 2022
- Walt Disney World to Reopen In Phases After Hurricane Ian Starting Sept 30, 2022 .. #HurricaneIan #WaltDisneyWorld - September 29, 2022
- Hurricane Ian Cancellations, Postponements, And More For Orlando and Central Florida * UPDATED * .. #HurricaneIan - September 27, 2022
- Rosen Hotels & Resorts Reduces Pricing Ahead of Hurricane Ian .. @RosenHotels #HurricaneIan - September 27, 2022
- ‘Festival of Trees’ Returns to Orlando Museum of Art Nov 11-20, 2022 .. @OMAOrlando #FestivalofTrees #Councilof101 - September 26, 2022
- Dr. Phillips Center Hosts ‘SIX The Musical’ in Orlando October 4–9, 2022 .. @DrPhillipsCtr @SIXBroadway #OrlandoBroadwaySeries #OrlandoArts - September 19, 2022
- Pirates Dinner Adventure to host Halloween-themed Vampirates Dinner Show .. #PiratesDinnerAdventure #Vampirates #Halloween - September 16, 2022
- Orlando Weekly’s ‘Orlando Burger Week’ Offers $7 Burger Deals Sept 14-28, 2022 .. #OrlandoBurgerWeek #OrlandoFoodies @OrlandoWeekly - September 9, 2022
- Teak Neighborhood Grill to Host Annual “Burger World Tour” Month With $7 Daily Burgers Starting Sept 1, 2022 .. @TeakOrlando #TeakOrlando #OrlandoBurgers #Foodies - August 29, 2022
- Out and About: Magical Dining at Taverna Opa in Orlando .. #TavernaOpa #VisitOrlando #MagicalDining - August 24, 2022