Darden Restaurants has announced it is partnering with Feeding America and Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida to increase access to food for those in need in Orlando, via refrigerated trucks.
According to Feeding America, food insecurity has increased to impact one out of every six Americans, and rates are disproportionately high among communities of color. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Feeding America projects that one in six people could experience food insecurity, and people of color are even more likely to be impacted.
Through a $500,000 grant from the Darden Restaurants, Inc. Foundation and additional
support from Darden’s partners, Penske Truck Leasing and Lineage Logistics, five Feeding America food banks, including Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, will each receive a 26-foot refrigerated box truck to help increase access to nutritious food and address transportation needs in communities that need the help.
“As a restaurant company, we are uniquely positioned to make a meaningful difference in the fight against hunger, and we are proud to partner with Feeding America to make a positive impact in communities where it is needed most,” said Gene Lee, Chairman and CEO of Darden, in a press release.
These efforts go hand-in-hand with Darden’s Harvest program. Each day, every Darden restaurant collects surplus food that is not served to guests and prepares it for donation to local nonprofit partners. Since its inception, more than 120 million pounds of food — totaling more than 100 million meals — have been donated through the Harvest program.
Darden is a restaurant company headquartered in Orlando with a portfolio of brands that includes Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, Yard House, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Bahama Breeze, and Eddie V’s.
[Image courtesy of Darden]
- Seven Seas Food Festival Returns To SeaWorld Orlando Feb 3-May 7, 2023 - January 27, 2023
- ‘Rock of Ages’ to Play Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Jan 25-Feb 26, 2023 - January 18, 2023
- Universal Orlando Reveals Mardi Gras 2023 Details Including Live Concert Line-Up - January 17, 2023
- ‘Wicked’ Returns To Orlando’s Dr Phillips Center For Extended Engagement Jan 25–Feb 12, 2023 - January 16, 2023
- The ‘Riverdance’ 25th Anniversary Show Dances into Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center Jan 20-22, 2023 - January 12, 2023
- Walt Disney World News: Opening Date for ‘TRON Lightcycle / Run’, Nighttime Shows Returning, and Updates for Guests and Passholders - January 10, 2023
- Chase Padgett Brings Acclaimed ‘6 Guitars’ Show to Orlando’s Renaissance Theatre Company January 6-29, 2023 - January 4, 2023
- Daytona Boat Show Returns to Daytona International Speedway Jan 13-15, 2023 - January 3, 2023
- ‘Tina – The Tina Turner Musical’ Rocks Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center Jan 10-15, 2023 - January 2, 2023
- Out And About: A New Publix Has Opened at Town Center at O-Town West - January 1, 2023