Darden Restaurants has announced it is partnering with Feeding America and Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida to increase access to food for those in need in Orlando, via refrigerated trucks.
According to Feeding America, food insecurity has increased to impact one out of every six Americans, and rates are disproportionately high among communities of color. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Feeding America projects that one in six people could experience food insecurity, and people of color are even more likely to be impacted.
Through a $500,000 grant from the Darden Restaurants, Inc. Foundation and additional
support from Darden’s partners, Penske Truck Leasing and Lineage Logistics, five Feeding America food banks, including Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, will each receive a 26-foot refrigerated box truck to help increase access to nutritious food and address transportation needs in communities that need the help.
“As a restaurant company, we are uniquely positioned to make a meaningful difference in the fight against hunger, and we are proud to partner with Feeding America to make a positive impact in communities where it is needed most,” said Gene Lee, Chairman and CEO of Darden, in a press release.
These efforts go hand-in-hand with Darden’s Harvest program. Each day, every Darden restaurant collects surplus food that is not served to guests and prepares it for donation to local nonprofit partners. Since its inception, more than 120 million pounds of food — totaling more than 100 million meals — have been donated through the Harvest program.
Darden is a restaurant company headquartered in Orlando with a portfolio of brands that includes Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, Yard House, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Bahama Breeze, and Eddie V’s.
[Image courtesy of Darden]
- Taco Bell Tests Vegan Crunchwrap in Orlando - June 8, 2023
- Out and About: Broadway Takes Orlando “Into the Woods” And It’s a Hilarious Journey - June 7, 2023
- Fun Spot America Theme Parks Celebrates 25th Anniversary with $25 Ticket Deal on June 10, 2023 - June 6, 2023
- Daytona Lagoon in Daytona Beach Launches Summer Character Series June 4, 2023 - May 30, 2023
- Dr. Phillips Center to Host Broadway’s ‘Into the Woods’ For Only Florida Shows June 6-11, 2023 - May 28, 2023
- Orlando VA Healthcare System to Host Memorial Day Ceremony on May 26, 2023 - May 24, 2023
- Lonely Dog Immersive Experience Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 27-28, 2023 - May 22, 2023
- Visit Orlando Announces Increase in Visitation Numbers for 2022 Ranking City #1 U.S. Travel Destination - May 12, 2023
- The 32nd Annual Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival Kicks Off May 16, 2023 - May 9, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks To Celebrate Mother’s Day 2023 - May 7, 2023