The Tuesday following Black Friday is designated as Giving Tuesday, which is a movement that encourages people to help others through donations of money and time.
Thousands of organizations in the state have signed up to participate, including the Orlando and Central Florida area. And the need is even greater with the pandemic and subsequent job losses this year.
Even $1-$5 will help, when multiplied by others giving, and some donations will be matched when made today.
If you don’t have a specific cause in mind, may we suggest the following organizations we feel do a lot of good in Central Florida:
90.7 WMFE – Central Florida’s public radio station is accepting donations to pay for news and programming without the pressure of commercial interests.
Association to Preserve the Eatonville Community – This organization provides academic support to Eatonville’s elementary school students, sponsors the Zora Neale Hurston National Museum of Fine Arts, and seeks to preserve the heritage of Eatonville.
Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida – Works to transform the lives of homeless men, women and children by providing crucial services to end their crisis of homelessness.
The Dru Project – Founded in honor of Pulse victim Christopher Andrew Leinonen, honors his legacy with scholarships and support for gay-straight alliances at high schools.
Friends of the Orange County Library System – Exists to support programs and supply resources that are not otherwise covered by the library’s annual operating budget.
Give Kids the World – A nonprofit “storybook” resort in Central Florida, offers children with critical illnesses and their families are treated to weeklong, cost-free vacations. On #GivingTuesday, your donations will be matched, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Orlando & Osceola County – Part of a global, nonprofit housing organization whose vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Harbor House of Central Florida – Seeks to help those affected by domestic abuse, and work to prevent it from happening.
Heart of Florida United Way – Funds some of Central Florida’s most critical health and human service programs.
Hero Spark – A local nerd-nonprofit that teaches kids how to learn through unplugged games and gaming. (unfortunately this non-profit has closed since this post was made)
LGBT+ Center Orlando – Works to promote and empower the LGBT Community and its allies through information, education, advocacy and support.
Lil Rascals Dog Rescue – Works to help the abused, abandoned and neglected dogs of Central Florida.
MicheLee Puppets, Inc. – Leverages the power of puppets to help children and youth in schools talk about difficult subjects like bullying, abuse, and even teen suicide.
The Mustard Seed of Central Florida – A furniture and clothing bank that helps rebuild the lives of people who have suffered through tragedy.
Opera Orlando – Help support this local arts group. On #GivingTuesday, your donations will be matched, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra – Help the OPO continue to bring the community musical performances. On #GivingTuesday, your donations will be matched, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Orlando Shakes – Support this local theater group so they can produce new plays and share educational experiences with guests of all ages each year.
Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando – Provides food, medical care and shelter for dogs and cats in Orange, Seminole, and Osceola counties until they find their new homes.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Florida – Provides a home away from home for families with children receiving treatment at hospitals and medical facilities in Orlando.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida – Helps kids, families and seniors experiencing hunger in Central Florida. On #GivingTuesday, your donations will be matched, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Shepherd’s Hope – Provides free medical care for thousands of Central Florida families every year, who otherwise would go without.
Victim Service Center of Central Florida – Helps victims of sexual assault, violent crime, and traumatic circumstance through free and confidential crisis intervention, therapy, advocacy and outreach.
If you prefer to give in person, iHeartMedia and Hard Rock Cafe are hosting a non-perishable food collection drive to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida today from 10am to 1pm. Everyone who donates will receive a FREE serving of O-Town Mac n’ Cheese, a free coupon for a One Night in Bangkok Shrimp app, and some special surprises from the local iHeartMedia radio stations while supplies last.
You can also search at GivingTuesday.org for more Central Florida organizations in need of donations.
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘Ain’t Too Proud – The Life and Times of The Temptations’ At Dr. Phillips Center Jan 25-30, 2022 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @AintTooProud #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - January 17, 2022
- Actor/Comedian Bob Saget Passes Away in Orlando at 65 .. #BobSaget - January 9, 2022
- Out and About: Live Entertainment and a New Menu Return to Mango’s Tropical Café in Orlando .. #MangosOrlando #IDrive @OrlandoMangos - December 13, 2021
- Opera Orlando Presents ‘The Secret River’ World Premiere at Dr. Phillips Center Dec. 17-19, 2021 .. #OperaOrlando #TheSecretRiver #DrPhillipsCenter - December 10, 2021
- Out and About: Hawkers Asian Street Food Has Fun New Cocktails for the 2021 Holidays .. #EatHawkers #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoDrinks - December 9, 2021
- Holidays In Space Returns To Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Dec 17 – 31, 2021 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #HolidaysInSpace - November 29, 2021
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘The Prom’ At Dr. Phillips Center Dec 7-12, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @ThePromMusical #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - November 28, 2021
- 4th Annual FusionFest Returns To Downtown Orlando Nov 27-28, 2021 .. #FusionFest #OrlandoArts - November 23, 2021
- Holidays At LEGOLAND Return To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 26, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #OrlandoHolidays #HolidaysatLEGOLAND - November 22, 2021
- Iron Chef Morimoto Returns to Morimoto Asia to Host Events in Dec 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #OrlandoFoodies - November 21, 2021