Here is the latest Central Florida foodie and dining news to report on, including several charity events, food events, restaurant and grocer openings, and so much more.
Are you hungry? Let’s dive in…
First off, a quick reminder that Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining has been extended to October 31, 2020, so you still have time to enjoy those delicious $35 prix fixe menus.
For three consecutive Mondays in October, starting with National Pulled Pork Day on Oct 12 (today), Orlando-based Sonny’s BBQ will donate $1 to No Kid Hungry for each Pulled Pork, Sweet Carolina, Whole Hog and Sonny’s Cuban sandwich purchased, which can provide up to 10 meals to kids in need.
The restaurant group will also give away free pulled pork for a year to five lucky winners. Fans can enter to win the grand prize on the contest’s website from Monday, Oct. 12 to Monday, Nov. 3.
October Featured Flavors at all locations are Chocolate Fluffer Nutter, Malted Vanilla, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Salted Caramel, and Nutella Swirl.
The New Standard in Winter Park has launched “Courses for Causes” series of prix fixe dinners benefiting local charities. The first menu in the series runs through Sunday, Oct. 18, and benefits the Edible Education Experience, home of the Emeril Lagasse Foundation Kitchen House & Culinary Garden. Edible Education Experience empowers students and the community through seed-to-table experiences aimed at curbing food insecurity.
The four-course meal is $45 (+ tax/gratuity), and $10 from the sale of each menu will go directly to the charity at the end of the promotion. Reservations are recommended and can be made at NewStandardWP.com.
The next Courses for Causes dinner will benefit the Adult Literacy League, and will run Oct. 20 through Nov. 1.
The Spanish tapas restaurant Tapa Toro is hosting its first cooking class for the fall season on October 15. Enjoy an evening of safe cooking and eating around the paella pit as the restaurant’s talented chefs guide you in creating some of their favorite recipes. Cost is $54 (+ tax/gratuity).
On the menu:
- Cod Croquettes – yucca / cod / citrus aioli
- Cornish Hen – honey-glazed / chorizo stuffing / manchego mashed potatoes
- Apple Cinnamon Tartlet- served with salted caramel ice cream
Orlando Meats has announced they are relocating to Winter Park in the former Todo Sushi space at 1035 Orlando Ave. They’ve gotten too big for their Ivanhoe Village location and the new space will give them more seating, parking, and space for a full bar.
Partners/spouses Eliot Hillis and Seth Parker also plan to offer a wider menu, including pasta, house made hot sauces, and items from their Recess Pizza concept. Congratulations to the duo for this next chapter!
The 11th Annual Día de los Muertos & Monster Event opens at CityArts in downtown Orlando this Thursday, October 15, with an outdoor dining experience. Food is provided by Tamale Co. Mexican Street Food, and includes one shared appetizer, one box meal per person, one drink per person, and a guaranteed entry time to the exhibit. A table for two starts at $70.
Bulla Gastrobar in Winter Park is hosting a Wine Dinner on Thursday, October 15. Enjoy a five-course Spanish menu with wines from Grupo Bodegas Palacio. Cost is $80 per person, sold in pairs for social distancing, and diners must be 21+.
The Restaurant & Allied Partnership of Central Florida for Restaurant Recovery presents Monster Mash – a Mask-for-Aid Ball on Thursday, October 29, at The Doctor Phillips House at Lake Lucerne.
Enjoy mouth-watering dishes from some of Central Florida’s premier restaurants, domestic and international wine, beer & liquor stations set up throughout venue, and live entertainment. There will also be a silent auction.
Tickets are $125 per person for general admission, and $250 for VIP, which also includes early entrance, a table seat, access to special wine and cigar/whiskey areas, and more.
A portion of the proceeds from gala go directly to the participating restaurant partners to assist in their recovery during this pandemic.
À La Cart Orlando is hosting PumpkinFest from October 23-31. Each of the food vendors are going to be whipping up some unique pumpkin dishes to accompany a variety of available pumpkin brews.
Food items available:
- Pokekai: Homemade Pumpkin Hummus
- Smoke & Donuts: Smokin’ Pumpkin Donut
- Steak It Easy: Pumpkin Cheese Balls
- Korgette: Pumpkin & Candied Walnut Pita Tacos (Available Monday – Thursday)
- SwedeDISH Food Truck: Pumpkin, Beef, and Black Been Chili (Available Friday – Sunday)
- Dulce Pecado: Pumpkin Dulce Pecado Waffle
Orlando’s Milk District is offering a coupon book early in November to those who join its Stay Milky membership program in October, with discounts available at a variety of businesses like A La Cart, Bad As’s Sandwich, Dixie Dharma, Eola General, Gringos Locos, MX Taco, and Pom Pom’s Teahouse and Sandwicheria, among others. Memberships start at $35.
On October 20, Orlando’s SoDo District is hosting a Pop Up Dinner To-Go event. The three-course menu is provided by Baos Castle and The Aardvark, with drinks by Orlando Brewing and Swirlery Wine Bar, and includes a pumpkin. Cost is $40 per person. Menu at the link.
My Indi Kitchen has also opened in Lakeland, serving up Indian cuisine at 2810 Lakeland Highlands Rd.
One more new Lakeland eatery of note: Herby’s Kitchen has opened at 2844 Lakeland Highlands Rd. in the Winn-Dixie plaza. The Southern food brunch menu includes dishes like The Pork Stack (cheddar grits, smoked pork, coleslaw, bbq sauce, and pickles), and the Mac Burger (two fried Mac and cheese “buns” stacked on top of a burger, tomato, lettuce, and onion). Their hours are Tuesday- Saturday 7am-2:30pm.
What do you call baked cheddar grits, smoked pork , cole slaw, bbq sauce and pickles ? The Pork Stack and it’s our special today . See you soon !
Best selling dips Roast Beef and Pastrami are available at the centers, along with all three of the concept’s homemade chip flavors including Salted, BBQ and Salt & Vinegar.
The centers are also offering a special deal called Cowboy Dips & Chips Plus Sips, which will include two dip sandwiches, two side of chips, and two domestic beers or non-alcoholic beverages for $24.
Da Kine Poke has opened a new location at 33 S. Charles Richard Beall Blvd. in DeBary. It joins locations in downtown Orlando, Winter Park, and New Smyrna Beach.
Charley’s Steakhouse on I-Drive in Orlando reopens on October 15, and to celebrate, they’re giving away a colossal Madagascar shrimp when you order a filet mignon.
We’re opening Charley’s Steak House on 10/15 and everybody gets a colossal Madagascar shrimp with your filet mignon compliments of Charley. Available through 10/18
Rokka’s Market has opened at 6507 Old Brick Road in Windermere, offering a Brazilian grocery, butchery, and bakery, along with a restaurant offering picanha bbq, sausage, rice, beans, and more.
Outpost Kitchen, Bar, & Provisions in Maitland has announced Chef Nick Sierputowski (Ravenous Pig, Luma on Park, Norman’s) has joined the culinary team at the restaurant. Congratulations Chef Nick!
CHEF NICK SIERPUTOWSKI TO LEAD THE KITCHEN TEAM AT THE NEW OUTPOST IN MAITLAND[ORLANDO, FL, October 2020] — The former…
Orlando Weekly‘s Faiyaz Kara reports Soseki, a 10-seat modern omakase concept by Taglish chef-owner Mike Collantes and former Kaizen Izakaya chef Denni Cha, will open on Fairbanks Avenue in Winter Park early next year.
- Tame Impala Announces Rescheduled Orlando Tour Date at Amway Center for 2021 .. @AmwayCenter @TameImpala - October 19, 2020
- LEGOLAND Florida Celebrates 9th Birthday with Special Pass Pricing and Peek at 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #ThemeParkNews - October 16, 2020
- Central Florida Zoo wins AZA award for the Urban Wildlife Information Network .. @CentralFLZoo @CitySanfordFL #CFLAttractions - October 15, 2020
- Out and About: Bottomless Brunching at Cafe Tu Tu Tango in Orlando .. @CafeTuTuTangoFL #OrlandoBrunch #OrlandoRestaurants - October 14, 2020
- Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream and Gideon’s Bakehouse Collaborate for National Dessert Day Oct 14 .. #OrlandoIceCream #OrlandoBakery - October 13, 2020
- I-Drive Businesses Form Orlando Entertainment District .. #IDrive #LoveOrlando @IDriveFun - October 13, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For October 12, 2020: Sonny’s BBQ, The New Standard, Tapa Toro, Orlando Meats, Rokka’s Market, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - October 12, 2020
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Offers Brevard County Resident Discount Oct 12-18 .. #BrevardCounty @ExploreSpaceKSC #LoveFL - October 10, 2020
- Brick or Treat Returns to LEGOLAND Florida For Family Friendly Halloween Fun .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #BrickorTreat #BuiltForKids #LoveFL - October 7, 2020
- Broadway in Orlando 20/21 Season Delayed Until April 2021 at Dr. Phillips Center .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - October 6, 2020