Here is the latest Central Florida foodie and dining news to report on, including Florida bars reopening, special celebrations, limited-time menus, restaurant openings and closings, and much more.
Are you hungry? Let’s dive in…
The big news this week is that Florida bars can serve alcohol again starting Monday, September 14, at 12:01am, after 2 1/2 months of being closed due to the pandemic. Bars will again be allowed to operate at 50% capacity, pending they adhere to safety guidelines.
We are rescinding amended EO 20-09 from DBPR as of Monday. Starting Monday, all bars will be reopened at 50% occupancy. pic.twitter.com/YqQR2MkJpR
— HalseyBeshears (@HalseyBeshears) September 10, 2020
Last month, Taste! Central Florida took their annual gala online for 2020, due to the pandemic, and offered videos of local chefs cooking their finest recipes. They also partnered with 9 Family Connection for a day of on-air reports on WFTV. The support of the virtual campaign will provide over 80,000 meals to local children in need. Bravo Taste! Central Florida! There is still time to donate – visit TasteCFl.org to do so.
MX Taco will be celebrating Mexican Independence Day on Wednesday, September 16, from 5:30-6:30pm, with live Mariachi, and giveaways from MX Taco and other local businesses.
Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream is introducing two new flavors for September at its locations. Midnight Crunch (pictured below) will be available all month, and features dark chocolate peanut butter ice cream with fudge and Butterfinger pieces.
Then on Sept 21, from 3pm until sell-out, they’ll be offering the limited flavor Reverse Ore-Dough. Kelly’s is taking one of its fan favorites, Ore-Dough, and turning it upside down. This time made with chocolate ice cream, golden Oreos, chocolate cookie dough and white chocolate chips.
Jason and Sue Chin’s Good Salt Restaurant Group (Seito Sushi, Reyes Mezcaleria, The Osprey Orlando) will soon be adding a new eatery to its collective. Their newest concept, The Monroe Orlando, opens next year inside The Julian Apartments at Creative Village in downtown Orlando.
I haven’t seen an menu concept, but a press release states the name pays homage to Dr. William “Monroe” Wells, an African-American physician who opened the Wells’ Built Hotel in Parramore in 1926.
According to the release, Jason Chin also plans to engage The Monroe Orlando in Valencia College at Creative Village curriculum programs via mentorship in the restaurant.
If you lived in Orlando in the early 2000’s, you may remember Donatos Pizza, famous for its edge to edge topping pizzas. Well, after a 12-year absence, the Columbus-based brand is dipping its toes back in the Orlando waters with a newly opened location at 4058 N. Goldenrod (corner of N. Goldenrod and University Ave.). I haven’t made it out to this new location yet, but I did love Donatos back in the day.
Also returning to the Orlando market is Lime Fresh Mexican Grill. The brand had locations in Doctor Phillips, Winter Park and Lake Mary, about a decade ago, but a number of the restaurants closed under former parent company Ruby Tuesday.
The current owners bought the company in 2018, and will soon open a location at 13000 Narcoossee Road in Lake Nona. The fast-casual brand offers tacos, burritos, salads, queso, street corn and margaritas, with a weekday happy hour. You can read our review from 2011 for more information. Hopefully they still have that awesome hot sauce bar.
Marlow’s Tavern has brought back its Ribs & Whiskey promotion. In addition to offering slow-cooked St. Louis-style ribs with your choice of Carolina BBQ sauce or Jack Daniel’s Glaze, the limited-time menu includes Jack-glazed salmon, Mustard Blazed chicken, a pulled-pork sandwich topped with a Jack Daniel’s Honey Whiskey glaze, and Bourbon Bread Pudding to cap the meal. All items are available for dine-in or to-go.
Teachers and faculty can save 35% off food & beverage at Disney Springs restaurants Paddlefish and Terralina Italian through the end of September with valid I.D.
During the month of September, teachers and faculty can save 35% off food & beverage at @PaddlefishORL and @TerralinaItalia as a special thank you! ?? ? ? (Must present valid I.D. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts.) #DisneySprings pic.twitter.com/RUaZN8zSVL
— Disney Springs (@DisneySprings) September 6, 2020
Barnie’s Coffee & Tea Co. is offering a limited-time Pumpkin Spice medium roast coffee, available now through mid-November while supplies last.
Pumpkin Spice is also back at Krispy Kreme. In addition to the return of Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake, Pumpkin Spice Original Glazed, and Pumpkin Spice Cake, Krispy Kreme is also introducing the all-new Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll doughnut. All flavors are available through Sept. 30 at all Central Florida locations.
Park Lights Hospitality, the owners of Luma on Park, announced they will be closing the upscale Winter Park eatery, after they and the landlord failed to come to terms on the restaurant’s lease at 290 S. Park Ave., where it had been operating for 15 years.
Park Lights Hospitality also operates Prato in Winter Park and Luke’s Kitchen & Bar in Maitland. The company’s other partners are Tim Noelke, operating partner, and Austin Tate, managing partner.
They plan to look for another space for a future restaurant, which may be another Luma or an entirely new concept. Due to space limitations on Park Ave, the new restaurant will also probably not be located there. More information as I get it.
- Holidays In Space Returns To Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Dec 17 – 31, 2021 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #HolidaysInSpace - November 29, 2021
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘The Prom’ At Dr. Phillips Center Dec 7-12, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @ThePromMusical #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - November 28, 2021
- 4th Annual FusionFest Returns To Downtown Orlando Nov 27-28, 2021 .. #FusionFest #OrlandoArts - November 23, 2021
- Holidays At LEGOLAND Return To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 26, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #OrlandoHolidays #HolidaysatLEGOLAND - November 22, 2021
- Iron Chef Morimoto Returns to Morimoto Asia to Host Events in Dec 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #OrlandoFoodies - November 21, 2021
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2021 In Orlando .. #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingDinners #ThanksgivingBrunch - November 20, 2021
- 2021 Orlando Walk for Apraxia Takes Place Nov. 20 in Casselberry .. #WalkForApraxia @apraxia_kids - November 16, 2021
- The New Walt Disney World Swan Reserve Hotel Officially Opens in Orlando .. #WaltDisneyWorldSwanReserve #SwanReserve #OrlandoHotels #DisneyHotels - November 15, 2021
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The 2021 Holidays Starting Nov. 19 .. #DazzlingNights @Creative_Proj @LeuGardens - November 12, 2021
- Immersive Van Gogh Exhibition Debuts in Orlando November 26, 2021 .. #ImmersiveVanGogh #OrlandoArt - November 11, 2021