Knife and Spoon is a new signature steak & seafood restaurant that will be opening this fall at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, and I attended a media preview to get a first look at what to expect.
Chef John Tesar, of Knife Steakhouse in Dallas, and Chef de Cuisine Gerald Sombright, of Ario at the the JW, Marco Island, are collaborating for this high end steak, seafood, and craft cocktail concept.
Both Chefs met while competing on Season 14 of Bravo TV’s “Top Chef” competition, and were pitted against each other in a sudden death cook off on the season’s very first episode. Though Chef John ultimately won the cook off, what began from that point was more than a competition, it was a meeting of the food minds.
At Knife and Spoon, the steaks are dry aged 45 days all the way to 240, resulting in a more flavorful and tender cut of beef. The meat develops a white mold, a combination of mold and salt that protects the meat and adds to its flavor (don’t fret – the white mold is cut off before serving).
We were able to sample some of the steaks during our visit, and you could taste the quality.
But steaks will not be the only star of Knife and Spoon…seafood will also take center stage, creating a menu for meat lovers and fish connoisseurs alike.
A cocktail cart will be rolled through the dining room during service, allowing guests to design their own libations; and the wine menu will feature esoteric wines from Australia, California and more.
I had the opportunity to try the Ancestor, a blended red from Halter Ranch Vineyards in Paso Robles, California. This same vineyard will also produce a wine exclusively for the Knife and Spoon restaurant, though it’s variety is still being kept under wraps.
Knife and Spoon will take the place of fan favorite Norman’s, which closed in 2019. The space will be brightened and redesigned, removing the heavy dark curtains and taking advantage of the room’s expansive windows.
The Ritz Carlton Orlando is eyeing an October 2020 opening for Knife and Spoon. Keep an eye on CitySurfing Orlando for updates!!
[Photos: Anna-Marie Walsh for CitySurfingOrlando]
- First Look at Knife and Spoon Opening at Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes in Orlando .. #KnifeandSpoon @RC_ORLANDO @ChefJohnTesar - August 30, 2020
- Out and About: A Sneak Preview of the Visit Orlando Magical Dining Menu at Bulla Gastrobar - August 21, 2018
- Out and About: Let’s Move for a Better World with YMCA and Stuff the Orlando Magic Mascot - April 1, 2017
- Out and About: The Orchestra feat. Members of ELO at Plaza Live! Orlando - August 30, 2016
- Out and About: Food Fight Write at the World Food Championships in Celebration, FL - November 10, 2015