We’re kicking off June 2020 with a lot of Central Florida foodie and dining news to report on this week, including new restaurants, some closings, free meals for hospitality workers, and more.
Here is the news you need to know this week:
ARP, which owns and operates Café Tu Tu Tango and Mia’s Italian Kitchen on International Drive in Orlando, will begin distributing free family meals to hospitality workers in need in the Central Florida area.
These family meals serve four, and will be distributed every Wednesday and Thursday at 1pm and 5pm at Mia’s Italian Kitchen until further notice. There is a vegetarian option.
Hospitality workers can sign up using this online form, where they can choose which day and pick-up time best works for their schedule.
PS: Everything I’ve eaten at Mia’s is delicious, so these are quality meals you’ll be enjoying. Thanks to ARP for looking out for Orlando hospitality workers!
Smoke & Donuts, which serves up oak-smoked BBQ and fresh hot donuts, had their food truck’s generator stolen last week. They’re still serving up their delicious offerings, but for the time being they’re asking customers to come to them.
Order online for contact-less pick-up at their College Park location (2545 Coolidge Avenue).
Black Business Orlando put together this handy list of black-owned restaurants in Orlando, if you’re interested in giving these eateries some business:
Belanger Bagels soft-opened in Orlando’s College Park neighborhood last week, serving up “Montreal-style bagels.” Montreal style bagels are boiled in honey water bath, so they are crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and slightly sweeter than a regular bagel.
They are open 8am-3pm at 4339 Edgewater Dr. The company originally started at East End Market, where they still operate.
BREAKING: As this post went to press, we learned as of this morning, Belanger Bagels will also fill the space at Eola General in downtown Orlando that was vacated when Swan City Bagels abruptly left last week after a series of controversial Tweets by its owner, Racine Richman, came to light.
Little Greek Fresh Grill opened last month at 3030 E Semoran Boulevard in Apopka. The brand has several other Central Florida locations including Altamonte Springs, Lee Vista, and Lakeland.
Ceviche Tapas Bar and Restaurant in downtown Orlando has announced it will not reopen in a message on its Facebook page:
According to the restaurant’s Facebook page, the new eatery will have a BBQ-influenced menu that includes ribs, fried chicken, fried pickles, salads, and slaws, plus some vegan options as well.
According to food journalist Scott Joseph, Executive Chef Bram Fowler has chosen to leave The Old Jailhouse restaurant in Sanford, which has been temporarily closed since early April. No word on why or who will replace him if/when the restaurant chooses to open.
The Tampa Business Journal reports Mitchell’s Fish Market, which is owned by Houston-based Landry’s Inc., has closed its Tampa location in Westshore Plaza.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that Celebrity chef Fabio Viviani, of Bravo’s Top Chef fame, announced Thursday he was cutting ties with Nocturnal Hospitality Group and its Tampa Bay establishments after co-owner Lanfranco Pescante was accused of posting controversial comments on social media that caused widespread criticism.
Those restaurants – Osteria Bar + Kitchen, Mole Y Abuela, and Franklin Manor – have all closed “indefinitely.”
- ‘Hadestown’ Comes to the Dr. Phillips Center in Orlando December 13–18, 2022 - December 2, 2022
- The Santa Workshop Experience Returns To Orlando’s ICON Park for 2022 - December 1, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Guide to 2022 Holiday Events in Central Florida - November 30, 2022
- Places to Donate on Giving Tuesday 2022 in Central Florida - November 29, 2022
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The Holidays - November 25, 2022
- Central Florida And Orlando Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals For 2022 - November 24, 2022
- Celebrate Orlando’s Diversity at the Free FusionFest This Weekend - November 23, 2022
- Out and About: Christmas Nights in Lights is a Fun Family Holiday Drive-Through Event - November 21, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2022 In Orlando - November 18, 2022
- Out and About: SeaWorld Orlando Gives First Look at Ride Vehicle for New ‘Pipeline’ Coaster at IAAPA - November 16, 2022