Spaceship Earth has served as an icon of EPCOT since the park opened on October 1, 1982. Since that time, minor updates have occurred (mostly to the sponsor area at the end of the ride), but the ride has pretty much remained the same.
But word comes that on May 26, 2020, Spaceship Earth will close to undergo a massive reimagining that will take several months, if not longer.
As shared at last year’s D23 Expo, the next iteration of Spaceship Earth will focus on the story of humanity, following our long journey from prehistoric humans to today.
In creating the unique story, many of the moments you know and love will be updated and blended with brand-new scenes to tell a story about our human experience. (Please keep the burning wood smell!)
Throughout the revamped attraction, you’ll hear new narration (no narrator named yet), and see how light plays a central role in our shared human journey, coming to life in dynamic ways in a celebration of the magic that’s possible when we all come together.
But not everything is changing with the attraction. A spokesperson for Walt Disney World assured me that not only will it still be called Spaceship Earth, but the iconic exterior will remain the same.
This will be the first major story update since 1994, when three scenes toward the end of the attraction (a computer in a boy’s bedroom of the mid 1980s, a woman’s office of the mid 1980s, and a network operations center of the early 1980s), were all removed and replaced with one scene depicting a boy and girl using the internet to communicate between America and Asia.
It’s also part of a complete reimagining of the entrance to the park, which sees Future World becoming three new areas: World Celebration, World Discovery and World Nature. Spaceship Earth will be a part of World Celebration.
Are you looking forward to seeing the new story or are you satisfied with the way it is?
[artist rendering courtesy of Disney Parks]
- SeaWorld Parks Provide Free Online Animal and Nature Classroom Resources .. @SeaWorld #ClassroomResources - April 4, 2020
- Creative City Project Presents “Stimulate the Arts” Online Fundraiser .. @Creative_Proj #OrlandoArts - April 3, 2020
- Orlando’s East End Market Launches Mobile Delivery Service .. @EastEndMkt - April 2, 2020
- Feed the Need Florida to Distribute Meals to Families Impacted by COVID-19 .. #FeedtheNeedFL - March 31, 2020
- Monster Jam World Finals 2020 in Orlando Has Been Cancelled .. @MonsterJam #MonsterJam - March 30, 2020
- Enzian Theater Now Offers On Demand Streaming of Indie Movies .. @EnzianTheater @bacuraufilme @TheBandFilm @TheWhistlers #saintfrances - March 29, 2020
- Southern Fried Sunday to Host Free Online #StayHome Music Fest March 29 With Optional Food Supplied by Winter Park’s #NewStandard .. #SFS - March 28, 2020
- Where to Find Restaurants Offering Take-Out and Delivery in the Orlando Area .. #SupportLocalRestaurants #GoodToGoOrlando #OrlandoToGo #VisitOrlando - March 28, 2020
- Crayola Experience Orlando Launches Search for “Kid CEO for the Day” .. @VisitCrayolaORL @VisitCrayola - March 27, 2020
- MEGACON™ Orlando Has Been Postponed to June 4-7, 2020 .. @MegaConOrlando #MegaConOrlando - March 24, 2020