Spaceship Earth has served as an icon of EPCOT since the park opened on October 1, 1982. Since that time, minor updates have occurred (mostly to the sponsor area at the end of the ride), but the ride has pretty much remained the same.
But word comes that on May 26, 2020, Spaceship Earth will close to undergo a massive reimagining that will take several months, if not longer.
As shared at last year’s D23 Expo, the next iteration of Spaceship Earth will focus on the story of humanity, following our long journey from prehistoric humans to today.
In creating the unique story, many of the moments you know and love will be updated and blended with brand-new scenes to tell a story about our human experience. (Please keep the burning wood smell!)
Throughout the revamped attraction, you’ll hear new narration (no narrator named yet), and see how light plays a central role in our shared human journey, coming to life in dynamic ways in a celebration of the magic that’s possible when we all come together.
But not everything is changing with the attraction. A spokesperson for Walt Disney World assured me that not only will it still be called Spaceship Earth, but the iconic exterior will remain the same.
This will be the first major story update since 1994, when three scenes toward the end of the attraction (a computer in a boy’s bedroom of the mid 1980s, a woman’s office of the mid 1980s, and a network operations center of the early 1980s), were all removed and replaced with one scene depicting a boy and girl using the internet to communicate between America and Asia.
It’s also part of a complete reimagining of the entrance to the park, which sees Future World becoming three new areas: World Celebration, World Discovery and World Nature. Spaceship Earth will be a part of World Celebration.
Are you looking forward to seeing the new story or are you satisfied with the way it is?
[artist rendering courtesy of Disney Parks]
- Tango Cares Needs Your Help to Feed Orlando’s Unemployed Hospitality Workers .. #TangoCares #MiasItalianKitchen #CafeTuTuTango - July 6, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 5, 2020: The Old Jailhouse, Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream, Chef Bruno Fonseca, Shake Shack, And More .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoRestaurants - July 5, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2020 .. #4thofJuly #Fireworks #Grilling - July 1, 2020
- The Bourne Stuntacular to Grand Open at Universal Orlando June 30, 2020 with Sneak Peek Online June 29 .. #UniversalOrlando #BourneStuntacular #ThemeParkNews - June 29, 2020
- Florida Suspends Alcohol Consumption at Bars Again Due to COVID-19 .. #FloridaBars #DoYourPart - June 28, 2020
- Orange County Florida Launches New “Safer, Stronger, Together” Campaign for Businesses & Residents to Combat COVID-19 Spread .. #DoYourPartORL #VisitOrlando @OrangeCoFL - June 27, 2020
- Walt Disney World to Give Magic Kingdom’s Splash Mountain New ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Theme .. #WaltDisneyWorld #SplashMountain #ThePrincessandtheFrog #Tiana - June 26, 2020
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex to Host ‘MLS is Back’ Tournament This Summer .. #WaltDisneyWorld #ESPN #WWoS #MLSisBack #Soccer - June 21, 2020
- Walt Disney World Cancels Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party for 2020 .. #Disney #MNSSHP #Halloween - June 20, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Father’s Day 2020 .. #FathersDay #VisitOrlando #OrlandoRestaurants - June 18, 2020