In the shadow of the current public health crisis, a network of local restaurants, hotels and hospitality industry organizations have joined forces with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to launch Feed the Need Florida
This is a program that will provide needed meals to food-insecure students and their families across Orange County and the state of Florida.
The Florida Department of Agriculture’s Summer Food Service Program provides funding to distribute meals to students in need, however the program does not provide meals for other family members.
4Roots, the nonprofit entity spearheaded by Chef John Rivers, is sponsoring the Feed the Need Florida program, which will work alongside the local public school systems throughout the state to provide donated meals to the many families in need.
The 4R Restaurant Group will leverage its 4 Rivers BBQ resources to support the meal preparation and distribution across the state in coordination with the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association and the Florida Department of Agriculture.
4Roots has activated a 25,000-sq-ft warehouse space in Orlando to receive food from the hospitality and restaurant industry to prepare meals in the 4 Rivers 8,000-square-foot commissary kitchen in Orlando.
They will also partner with the state to establish food collection, meal prep and distribution points to fill gaps in other counties via the 14 restaurant locations 4 Rivers has throughout Florida.
As the program expands, Feed the Need Florida will develop a network of restaurant and catering partners to serve the anticipated growing need to address community hunger.
— Feed The Need – Florida Community Kitchens (@FeedTheNeedFL) March 28, 2020
“There is an unprecedented need for students and families to have immediate and easy access to fresh, nutritious meals,” said John Rivers, CEO and founder of 4Roots and 4R Restaurant Group.
“In the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, we felt an obligation to rally the industry to help fill gaps in Florida’s ‘grab and go’ program, and also ensure that the families of these students likewise have access to meals. We are so thankful to have in this effort state government as well as restaurant, hotel, food distributor and corporate partners who share our heart to step up and meet this need. We are blessed to be in a position to serve in this capacity and hope individuals and businesses alike will join us in meeting the need.”
There are two ways individuals and corporations can participate:
- Donate now at feedtheneedfl.org. 4Roots is accepting monetary donations as well as food donations from restaurants, the hospitality industry and other corporations.
- Spread the word and encourage others to contribute to support Feed the Need Florida via social media using the hashtag #FeedtheNeedFL.
For more information, visit feedtheneedfl.org.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Halloween 2020 In Central Florida .. #OrlandoHalloween #LoveOrlando - October 23, 2020
- Plaza Live Launches Outdoor ‘Front Porch Concerts’ Series .. #OrlandoArts #PlazaLiveOrlando - October 22, 2020
- Out and About: Burger World Tour Dining at Teak Neighborhood Grill .. #OrlandoRestaurants #DiningReview @TeakOrlando - October 21, 2020
- Tame Impala Announces Rescheduled Orlando Tour Date at Amway Center for 2021 .. @AmwayCenter @TameImpala - October 19, 2020
- LEGOLAND Florida Celebrates 9th Birthday with Special Pass Pricing and Peek at 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #ThemeParkNews - October 16, 2020
- Central Florida Zoo wins AZA award for the Urban Wildlife Information Network .. @CentralFLZoo @CitySanfordFL #CFLAttractions - October 15, 2020
- Out and About: Bottomless Brunching at Cafe Tu Tu Tango in Orlando .. @CafeTuTuTangoFL #OrlandoBrunch #OrlandoRestaurants - October 14, 2020
- Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream and Gideon’s Bakehouse Collaborate for National Dessert Day Oct 14 .. #OrlandoIceCream #OrlandoBakery - October 13, 2020
- I-Drive Businesses Form Orlando Entertainment District .. #IDrive #LoveOrlando @IDriveFun - October 13, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For October 12, 2020: Sonny’s BBQ, The New Standard, Tapa Toro, Orlando Meats, Rokka’s Market, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - October 12, 2020