The Tuesday following Black Friday is designated as Giving Tuesday, which is a movement that encourages people to help others through donations of money and time.
Thousands of organizations in the state have signed up to participate, including the Orlando and Central Florida area.
If you don’t have a specific cause in mind, may we suggest the following organizations we feel do a lot of good in Central Florida:
90.7 WMFE, Central Florida’s public radio station, is holding a silent drive to pay for news and programming without the pressure of commercial interests.
Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida, which works to transform the lives of homeless men, women and children by providing crucial services to end their crisis of homelessness.
The Dru Project, founded in honor of Pulse victim Christopher Andrew Leinonen, honors his legacy with scholarships and support for gay-straight alliances at high schools.
Friends of the Orange County Library System, which exists to support programs and supply resources that are not otherwise covered by the library’s annual operating budget.
Give Kids the World, a nonprofit “storybook” resort in Central Florida, offers children with critical illnesses and their families are treated to weeklong, cost-free vacations. On #GivingTuesday, your donations will be matched, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Harbor House of Central Florida, which seeks to help those affected by domestic abuse, and work to prevent it from happening.
Heart of Florida United Way, which funds some of Central Florida’s most critical health and human service programs.
Hero Spark, a nerd-nonprofit that teaches kids how to learn through unplugged games and gaming. (unfortunately this non-profit has closed since this post was made)
LGBT+ Center Orlando, which works to promote and empower the LGBT Community and its allies through information, education, advocacy and support.
Lil Rascals Dog Rescue, which works to help the abused, abandoned and neglected dogs of Central Florida.
MicheLee Puppets, Inc., which leverages the power of puppets to help children and youth in schools talk about difficult subjects like bullying, abuse, and even teen suicide.
The Mustard Seed of Central Florida, a furniture and clothing bank that helps rebuild the lives of people who have suffered through tragedy.
Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando, which provides food, medical care and shelter for dogs and cats in Orange, Seminole, and Osceola counties until they find their new homes.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Florida, which provides a home away from home for families with children receiving treatment at hospitals and medical facilities in Orlando. Every donation the receive (up to $10,000) on #GivingTuesday will be doubled, thanks to a generous sponsor.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, which helps kids, families and seniors experiencing hunger in Central Florida.
Shepherd’s Hope, which provides free medical care for thousands of Central Florida families every year, who otherwise would go without.
Victim Service Center of Central Florida, which helps victims of sexual assault, violent crime, and traumatic circumstance through free and confidential crisis intervention, therapy, advocacy and outreach.
You can also search at GivingTuesday.org for more Central Florida organizations in need of donations.
- Museum of Illusions Has Opened at ICON Park Orlando .. #MuseumOfIllusionsOrlando @ICONParkOrlando #OrlandoAttractions #TicketDeals - January 19, 2021
- Dinosaur Invasion Returns to Orlando’s Leu Gardens Jan 18-April 18 .. #LeuGardens #Dinosaurs - January 18, 2021
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For January 15, 2021: Gideon’s Bakehouse, Portillo’s, Major’s Project Pop, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - January 15, 2021
- Grande Lakes Orlando to Host Inaugural “Curated Experiences” Event Jan 29-31, 2021 .. #GrandeLakesOrlando #JWMarriottOrlando #Staycation #RitzCarltonOrlando #LuxuryTravel - January 10, 2021
- Gatorland Offers $9.99 Florida Resident Deal For January .. #Gatorland #FLResident - January 8, 2021
- 2021 Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Arts Kicks Off Jan 8 .. #WaltDisneyWorld #EPCOT #Disney - January 6, 2021
- Orlando Fringe Partners With Subly For Increased Accessibility Online .. #OrlandoFringe #Subly #OrlandoArts - January 6, 2021
- New Local Haitian TV Station Debuts in Central Florida .. #AyitiTV #OrlandoTV - January 5, 2021
- Visit Orlando Hires New President & CEO .. #VisitOrlando #OrlandoTourism - January 5, 2021
- Park Hopper Option Returns to Walt Disney World for 2021 .. #WaltDisneyWorld #ParkHopping - January 4, 2021