There’s a lot of foodie and dining news happening around Central Florida right now. From openings to closings to special menus, here is the news you need to know this week:
Cracker Barrel has acquired Jacksonville-based Maple Street Biscuit Company, which has locations in Oviedo and Tampa Bay. The breakfast and lunch-focused fast casual restaurant specialized in biscuit-based dishes.
Cracker Barrel also owns the similarly focused Holler & Dash, which has a location in Celebration, and says it plans to convert its Holler & Dash Biscuit House locales into Maple Street Biscuit Company locations in the coming months.
As a Holler & Dash fan, I hope they keep some of their classic dishes in the transfer.
Beginning October 12, Sonny’s BBQ is serving up 3 new limited time menu items in honor of National Pulled Pork Day:
- Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
- Pulled Pork Tacos
They’ll be available through November 3, 2019, at all Central Florida Sonny’s BBQ locations.
Ocean Prime Orlando will frost its signature coconut cake with pink icing in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Plus, $1 from each slice sold will benefit the local Central Florida charity Compassionate Hearts and Hands, who provide support to local breast cancer patients in Central Florida.
North Carolina BBQ joint Brother Jimmy’s announced plans to open their first Central Florida location at The Marketplace at Dr. Phillips. The restaurant brand has celebrated over 25 years of legendary North Carolina, slow-smokin’ barbeque, and plans to open by Spring 2020.
Orlando ranks in the Top 15 Best Coffee Cities in America, according to a recent WalletHub survey.
WalletHub compared the 100 largest cities across 14 key indicators of a strong coffee culture. The data set ranges from coffee shops, coffee houses and cafés per capita to average price per pack of coffee.
According to the results, Orlando ranks 6th for the number of Coffee Shops, Coffee Houses & Cafés Per Capita, and 15th overall in the Top 100. We are indeed a caffeinated city!
Red Door Lakeland has launched a new lunch menu this month, and it will be only available on Fridays + Saturdays, from 11:30am-1:30pm. Sample items from the menu: Ultimate Grilled Cheese ($10) featuring caramelized onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheddar, swiss, pimento; and Fried Brussel Sprouts ($10) served with house-made kimchee, candied nuts, and hot honey.
If you know of any Central Florida dining news, let us know in comments or via our contact form. We’ll give you credit if we use it!
- The 13th Annual UCF-Orlando Jazz Festival Comes to UCF Feb 28-29 .. @UCF #OrlandoArts - February 23, 2020
- The TODAY Show to Broadcast Live from Universal Orlando on Feb 28, 2020 .. @UniversalOrlando @TODAYshow - February 22, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating National Margarita Day Feb 22, 2020 .. #NationalMargaritaDay - February 21, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando 2020/2021 Season .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 20, 2020
- The Masked Singer National Tour Comes to Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center This Summer .. #TheMaskedSinger @DrPhillipsCtr - February 17, 2020
- Orlando’s Exploria Stadium Enters Into New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America .. #Pepsi @OrlandoCitySC @ORLPride - February 16, 2020
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to Debut at Walt Disney World in 2021 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #StarWars - February 15, 2020
- Fresh Kitchen to Open Lake Mary Location February 24, 2020 .. @EatFreshKitchen - February 14, 2020
- City Works Eatery & Pour House Opens at Disney Springs .. @DisneySprings #CityWorks @CityWorksUS - February 13, 2020
- Walt Disney World Raises Annual Pass Prices Feb 2020 .. #WaltDisneyWorld - February 12, 2020