NASA announced it has selected eight new research teams to collaborate on research into the intersection of space science and human space exploration as part of the Solar System Exploration Research Virtual Institute (SSERVI).
One of those teams is the Center for Lunar and Asteroid Surface Science (CLASS), led by Dan Britt at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
They will join current SSERVI teams to conduct fundamental and applied research about the Moon, near Earth asteroids, and the Martian moons Phobos and Deimos, and their near space environments.
The UCF team will study regolith – soil-like material on other planetary bodies – of the Moon and asteroids, specifically looking at the physical properties and resources of regolith and its behavior in the space environment.
CLASS also will create soil simulants that will help other teams and the broader science community in this research area.
SSERVI will support the new teams for five years at a combined total of about $10.5 million per year, funded by NASA’s Science and Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorates.
For more information about SSERVI, visit sservi.nasa.gov.
[images courtesy NASA]
- SeaWorld Orlando Salutes First Responders with Half Off Admission Through July 31 #SeaWorldOrlando - July 16, 2019
- Apollo 11 Moon landing 50th Anniversary Events This Week in Central Florida #Apollo11 - July 15, 2019
- Dates Unveiled for the 2019 Epcot International Festival of the Holidays #WaltDisneyWorld - July 14, 2019
- Win a Family 4-Pack of Tickets to Disney’s Newsies at Osceola Arts! @Osceola_Arts #Giveaway - July 10, 2019
- LEGOLAND Florida Hosts THE LEGO MOVIE DAYS Weekends in July and August 2019 #BuiltForKids - July 9, 2019
- Osceola Arts Presents Disney’s ‘Newsies’ Starting July 12 @Osceola_Arts - July 8, 2019
- July 4th Fireworks To Live Stream From Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Tonight - July 4, 2019
- Fourth of July Street Closures and Parking Info in Downtown Orlando - July 3, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events for July 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - July 2, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2019 In Central Florida #4thofJuly - June 30, 2019