On June 12, 2016, Orlando witnessed a devastating tragedy, and in honor of the 49 lives lost, and all of those affected by the Pulse tragedy, The City of Orlando deemed June 12 Orlando United Day – A Day of Love and Kindness.
As we approach Orlando United Day 2019, venues around the city will mark the three-year anniversary with memorials, exhibits, and more.
Here is what is scheduled so far:
Friday, June 7
Provincetown Community Compact’s Prayer Ribbon Installation
Where: City Hall Plaza, Orlando
Details: The Prayer Ribbons Exhibit will be shown at Orlando City Hall Plaza June 7-16 where visitors are encouraged to add a prayer ribbon to leave a measure or name to honor. The Provincetown Community Compact members are bringing the memorial strand of Prayer Ribbons to Orlando.
Saturday, June 8
Third Annual CommUNITY Rainbow Run Benefiting onePULSE Foundation
Where: Wadeview Park, Orlando
Details: The third annual 4.9K run will take runners past the Orlando Health Trauma Center and onto the Pulse site on the “Remembrance Journey.”
The 49 Fund 2019 Scholarship Recipients
Where: City Hall, Orlando
Details: Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings will be among The 49 Fund founder Barry Miller to announce the 10 recipients of The 49 Fund’s 2019 college scholarships in the amount of $4,900.
Recordemos Our 49: Bilingual Vigil
Where: Joy Metropolitan Community Church, 2351 S. Fern Creek Ave., Orlando
Details: A special evening of prayer will be held to bring together the bilingual community to remember the 49 lost in the tragedy.
Love Speaks: Artistic Responses to the Pulse Nightclub Tragedy
When: Now through Sept. 22, 2019
Where: Orange County Regional History Center, Orlando
Details: The exhibition shares artwork from across the nation — from paintings to basketry to graphic novels — created in the wake of the Pulse attack. Admission to the OCRHC will be free June 8 to June 16.
Sunday, June 9
Love and Kindness On The Lawn
Where: Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando
Details: Live music and food trucks will begin the event at 12:30pm and at 1:30pm a “human heart” will be formed with attendees. Loving Kindness meditation will close out the event. This event is free.
FilmSlam: #OrlandoUnited Edition
Where: Enzian Theater, Maitland
Details: The short film lineup will celebrate LGBTQ+ filmmakers & how our community came together & stayed united after the tragedy at Pulse Orlando.
Monday, June 10
UCF Remembers Ceremony
Where: Live Oak Event Center, 4115 Pyxis Lane, Orlando
Details: A memorial quilt will be unveiled which was stitched together using fabric that was personalized by the attendees of the 2018 remembrance ceremony.
Wednesday, June 12
Orlando United Day Community Clean Up
Where: Zebra Coalition, 911 Mills Ave, Orlando
Details: Join in cleaning up the Mills50 neighborhood. Supplies provided.
One Pulse Foundation Donation Day
When: Open to Close
Where: MX Taco, 207 N. Bumby Ave., Orlando
Details: MX Taco will be donating the proceeds for the day (after expenses) to support the One Pulse Foundation.
Where: First United Methodist Church, 142 E Jackson St, Orlando
Details: Bells around the world will toll 49 times in unison as tribute to the victims. Mothers of those who died organize the event and, in Orlando, read the names of the victims. Those who wish to attend should arrive at the church by 11:45am.
Orlando United Day Youth Art Exhibit
Where: Zebra Coalition, 911 N. Mills, Orlando
Details: Community Open House for their youth art exhibit in honor of Orlando United Day.
PULSE Benefit Silent Yoga: Remembering & Healing
Where: Warrior ONE, 2822 Corrine Dr, Orlando
Details: One hour of healing silent power yoga with Danielle. Minimum donation $20. Proceeds will benefit the Dru Project.
2019 Annual Remembrance Ceremony at Pulse
Where: Pulse, South Orange Avenue
Details: Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings will be at the OnePULSE Foundation ceremony to honor the 49 victims, the survivors and first responders at the Pulse interim memorial.
Friday, June 14
Brews For Drew
Where: World of Beer – Downtown, Orlando
Details: Every dollar from Left Hand beers purchased at this event goes straight to The Dru Project scholarship fund, in honor of Christopher Andrew Leinonen, one of the Pulse 49.
- LEGO® NINJAGO® Days Take Over LEGOLAND Florida Weekends In January and February 2020 .. #BuiltForKids @LegolandFlorida - January 19, 2020
- Disney’s ALADDIN Tour Members To Host ‘SONGS FROM A WHOLE NEW WORLD’ Benefit on Jan 27, 2020 .. @aladdin - January 18, 2020
- Christian Music Fest ‘Rock The Universe’ Returns to Universal Orlando Jan 24-25, 2020 .. #RocktheUniverse @UniversalOrlando - January 17, 2020
- Central Florida Fair to Add New Livestock and Event Pavilion .. @CentralFLFair - January 17, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the Orlando Returns of ‘Hamilton’ and ‘Wicked’ .. #OrlandoBroadwaySeries @DrPhillipsCtr @HamiltonMusical @WICKED_Musical #FAIRWINDSBway - January 16, 2020
- Frontier Airlines Announces Plans for OIA Maintenance Hangar and Opens Training Facility in Orlando .. @FlyFrontier @MCO - January 16, 2020
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2020 Events in Central Florida .. #MLK2020 #MLKDay - January 15, 2020
- Blake Shelton’s Ole Red Orlando Restaurant to Open at ICON Park in April 2020 .. @OleRedOrlando @BlakeShelton - January 15, 2020
- Three New Film Experiences Coming to Epcot January 17, 2020 .. #Epcot @WaltDisneyWorld - January 14, 2020
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Announces New Executive Director .. @OrlandoPhilOrch - January 14, 2020