CityArts has relocated to the historic Roger Kiene Building in downtown Orlando and it features two levels of great local arts.
The street level features the Downstairs Signature Gallery, which currently houses the Earth, Water & Land presented by OUC the Reliable One exhibit.
It will also be home to the future Create Café, scheduled to open Summer 2019, featuring local roasted coffee, quick service food, beer and wine in an artistic atmosphere.
The second level is home to four signature galleries, plus a hallway featuring more art. It is accessible via stairs or an elevator, though the hallway may not be wheelchair/scooter friendly if there’s a crowd.
The main room is the Upstairs Signature Gallery, which currently features the Arts in Medicine exhibit, with artwork created by patients in the Integrative Medicine department at Orlando Health. The theme is the Lee Ann Womack classic song, “I Hope You Dance,” and the artwork features the patient’s interpretations of what dance means to them.
Other exhibits on the upper level are Attachment Hunger with Scott Donald and Sean Hartman (Redefine Gallery); Solo exhibition by Vicki Wilson (Spotlight Gallery); and Artwork created by artists ages 15-21 (Young Artists Gallery presented by Orlando Magic).
My two favorite pieces in the various galleries were Light and Shadow by Joyo in the Young Artists Gallery, and a photo-realistic painting of Breaking Bad’s Walter White with tiny crystal shards glued onto it so it glittered (I didn’t see the artist name).
The best part of touring the CityArts galleries is that most everything is for sale, and many are priced at less than $100.
Support the Central Florida arts and visit CityArts. It’s open from 11am to 6pm, except Mondays, and admission is free. There’s limited street parking, but the Library Garage on Central Ave is a block away.
- The 28th Annual Florida Film Festival Announces Grand Jury and Audience Award Winners #FFF2019 - April 22, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Hosts Auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar National Tour on Saturday, April 20 @drphillipsctr #JesusChristSuperstar - April 18, 2019
- Party for the Planet Returns to Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 20-22, 2019 #EarthDay2019 #PartyforthePlanet - April 17, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2019 Picks For Easter Dining And Family Fun In Orlando - April 16, 2019
- Monster Jam World Finals XX Roll Into Orlando’s Camping World Stadium May 10-11, 2019 #MonsterJam - April 15, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Digital Ticket Lottery for Dear Evan Hansen #YouWillBeFound #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - April 12, 2019
- Five Reasons You Should Attend the 2019 Florida Film Festival #FFF2019 - April 11, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events for April 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - April 7, 2019
- Out and About: CityArts Opens in Historic Roger Kiene Building in Downtown Orlando - March 31, 2019
- Out and About: Tony Roma’s Serves Up Delicious New Classics Menu Through April 28, 2019 @TonyRomas - March 27, 2019