CityArts has relocated to the historic Roger Kiene Building in downtown Orlando and it features two levels of great local arts.
The street level features the Downstairs Signature Gallery, which currently houses the Earth, Water & Land presented by OUC the Reliable One exhibit.
It will also be home to the future Create Café, scheduled to open Summer 2019, featuring local roasted coffee, quick service food, beer and wine in an artistic atmosphere.
The second level is home to four signature galleries, plus a hallway featuring more art. It is accessible via stairs or an elevator, though the hallway may not be wheelchair/scooter friendly if there’s a crowd.
The main room is the Upstairs Signature Gallery, which currently features the Arts in Medicine exhibit, with artwork created by patients in the Integrative Medicine department at Orlando Health. The theme is the Lee Ann Womack classic song, “I Hope You Dance,” and the artwork features the patient’s interpretations of what dance means to them.
Other exhibits on the upper level are Attachment Hunger with Scott Donald and Sean Hartman (Redefine Gallery); Solo exhibition by Vicki Wilson (Spotlight Gallery); and Artwork created by artists ages 15-21 (Young Artists Gallery presented by Orlando Magic).
My two favorite pieces in the various galleries were Light and Shadow by Joyo in the Young Artists Gallery, and a photo-realistic painting of Breaking Bad’s Walter White with tiny crystal shards glued onto it so it glittered (I didn’t see the artist name).
The best part of touring the CityArts galleries is that most everything is for sale, and many are priced at less than $100.
Support the Central Florida arts and visit CityArts. It’s open from 11am to 6pm, except Mondays, and admission is free. There’s limited street parking, but the Library Garage on Central Ave is a block away.
- Iration to Bring ‘Live From Paradise!’ Tour to Central Florida for Two Shows July 2019 @Iration - June 17, 2019
- Pointe Orlando Announces Upcoming ‘Tranformative Redevelopment’ @PointeOrlando - June 15, 2019
- Disney Springs Offers ‘Flavors of Florida’ Promotion This Summer @DisneySprings #DisneyDining - June 14, 2019
- Sonny’s BBQ Launches Limited Time Smoke & Fire Menu for Summer @SonnysBBQ - June 11, 2019
- The Fortress at Full Sail University Hosts NBA 2K League Presents THE TICKET June 13-15 @NBA2KLeague @FullSail - June 10, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Father’s Day 2019 #FathersDay - June 9, 2019
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Appoints Interim Executive Director @OrlandoPhilOrch - June 8, 2019
- 2019 Pulse Memorials And Events in Central Florida #OrlandoUnitedDay #ActLoveGive - June 7, 2019
- The CitySurfing Orlando Guide to Free Donuts for National Donut Day 2019 #NationalDonutDay - June 6, 2019
- Tibby’s New Orleans Kitchen Launches Summer in the Bayou Limited Menu @EatatTibbys - June 5, 2019