On Jan. 14, a baby Masai giraffe was born on the savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, and on March 12, it was reintroduced to the Kilimanjaro Safaris savanna.
The calf’s name is Jabari, which means “brave one” in Swahili, and he is described as a bold, curious and courageous calf.
Jabari’s parents, Mara and George, were chosen to breed through the Species Survival Plan (SSP), overseen by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. This program ensures the responsible breeding of threatened and endangered species, thereby guaranteeing healthy future generations.
Standing seven feet tall, Jabari has spent the past two months bonding with his mom, Mara, in a backstage habitat.
True to his name, Jabari has quickly reached all his key developmental milestones, so on March 12, 2019, he was reintroduced to the savanna at the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction.
Have you spotted him yet? We’re told he has a special heart-shaped spot on his neck.
[photo courtesy Walt Disney World/David Roark, photographer]
- SeaWorld Orlando Salutes First Responders with Half Off Admission Through July 31 #SeaWorldOrlando - July 16, 2019
- Apollo 11 Moon landing 50th Anniversary Events This Week in Central Florida #Apollo11 - July 15, 2019
- Dates Unveiled for the 2019 Epcot International Festival of the Holidays #WaltDisneyWorld - July 14, 2019
- Win a Family 4-Pack of Tickets to Disney’s Newsies at Osceola Arts! @Osceola_Arts #Giveaway - July 10, 2019
- LEGOLAND Florida Hosts THE LEGO MOVIE DAYS Weekends in July and August 2019 #BuiltForKids - July 9, 2019
- Osceola Arts Presents Disney’s ‘Newsies’ Starting July 12 @Osceola_Arts - July 8, 2019
- July 4th Fireworks To Live Stream From Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Tonight - July 4, 2019
- Fourth of July Street Closures and Parking Info in Downtown Orlando - July 3, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events for July 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - July 2, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2019 In Central Florida #4thofJuly - June 30, 2019