I first became interested in music theater as a child, but it was when I saw Betty Buckley in Cats, that like became love. She was just phenomenal.
So I was extremely excited to see Hello, Dolly! at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts this week, which starred Ms. Buckley herself.
This may have been a touring production of Hello, Dolly!, but it was as big and exuberant as any show on Broadway, with a top notch cast and high production values.
Buckley, in the lead role of Miss Dolly Gallagher Levi, a meddling matchmaker, truly embodied the character with all the joy and desperation and bravado it deserved. And hilarity – as best evidenced in a scene involving Dolly eating a turkey dinner.
Her voice, a little worn at the edges from touring, still made good use of the Walt Disney Theater’s acoustics and was full of emotion…and a twinkle of mischief at times.
She was also backed by a strong cast: Lewis J. Stadlen as Grouchy businessman Horace Vandergelder; Nic Rouleau and Jess LeProtto as his adventure-seeking clerks Cornelius and Barnaby; Analisa Leaming as young widow Irene Molloy; and Kristen Hahn as Minney Fay, Irene’s assistant.
Nic Rouleau and Jess LeProtto also deserve major kudos. Rouleau for his strong voice and LeProtto for his spirited dancing.
In fact the dancers themselves deserve a nod, especially for their timing on the show’s lengthy centerpiece, “Waiters’ Gallop.” I was exhausted just watching them.
If you love classic musicals, you definitely won’t want to miss Hello, Dolly! while it’s in Orlando this week, through December 2. Ticket are available online at DrPhillipsCenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received a pair of tickets for review as a media partner. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own
- Party for the Planet Returns to Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 20-22, 2019 #EarthDay2019 #PartyforthePlanet - April 17, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Digital Ticket Lottery for Dear Evan Hansen #YouWillBeFound #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - April 12, 2019
- Five Reasons You Should Attend the 2019 Florida Film Festival #FFF2019 - April 11, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events for April 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - April 7, 2019
- Out and About: CityArts Opens in Historic Roger Kiene Building in Downtown Orlando - March 31, 2019
- Out and About: Tony Roma’s Serves Up Delicious New Classics Menu Through April 28, 2019 @TonyRomas - March 27, 2019
- Orlando Shakes and Michael Andrew Bring to Life the World Premiere of Jack and the Beanstalk April 4 – May 4, 2019 @OrlandoShakes - March 25, 2019
- Walt Disney World Announces A New Pavilion and More Coming to #Epcot - March 24, 2019
- Fun Spot America Announces New Interactive Water Experience Coming to Orlando Park this Summer @FunSpotAmerica - March 20, 2019
- Baby Giraffe Born at #Disney’s Animal Kingdom Reintroduced to Park’s Savanna - March 17, 2019