I first became interested in music theater as a child, but it was when I saw Betty Buckley in Cats, that like became love. She was just phenomenal.
So I was extremely excited to see Hello, Dolly! at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts this week, which starred Ms. Buckley herself.
This may have been a touring production of Hello, Dolly!, but it was as big and exuberant as any show on Broadway, with a top notch cast and high production values.
Buckley, in the lead role of Miss Dolly Gallagher Levi, a meddling matchmaker, truly embodied the character with all the joy and desperation and bravado it deserved. And hilarity – as best evidenced in a scene involving Dolly eating a turkey dinner.
Her voice, a little worn at the edges from touring, still made good use of the Walt Disney Theater’s acoustics and was full of emotion…and a twinkle of mischief at times.
She was also backed by a strong cast: Lewis J. Stadlen as Grouchy businessman Horace Vandergelder; Nic Rouleau and Jess LeProtto as his adventure-seeking clerks Cornelius and Barnaby; Analisa Leaming as young widow Irene Molloy; and Kristen Hahn as Minney Fay, Irene’s assistant.
Nic Rouleau and Jess LeProtto also deserve major kudos. Rouleau for his strong voice and LeProtto for his spirited dancing.
In fact the dancers themselves deserve a nod, especially for their timing on the show’s lengthy centerpiece, “Waiters’ Gallop.” I was exhausted just watching them.
If you love classic musicals, you definitely won’t want to miss Hello, Dolly! while it’s in Orlando this week, through December 2. Ticket are available online at DrPhillipsCenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received a pair of tickets for review as a media partner. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own
- Orange County Launches Crowdsourced 2018 Holiday Lights Map - December 7, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Christmas Bricktacular Brings LEGO Fun to the Holidays @LEGOLANDFlorida - December 6, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up for Dec 5, 2018: Wondermade, PokéStop, Orange County Brewers, and More - December 5, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events for December 2018 **UPDATED** #OrlandoFoodies - December 4, 2018
- Gaylord Palms Hosts Sounds of the Season Concert Series for 2018 Holidays #CAGP18 - December 3, 2018
- Elton John’s Orlando and Tampa Shows Have Been Rescheduled @AmwayCenter @Amalie Arena #EltonJohn - November 29, 2018
- Out and About: Hello, Dolly! Feat. @BettyBuckley at Dr. Phillips Center is a Masterclass in Musical Theater @DrPhillipsCtr - November 28, 2018
- Elton John Cancels Orlando and Tampa Shows Due to Illness @AmwayCenter @Amalie Arena #EltonJohn - November 27, 2018
- Out and About: Oklahoma Joe’s Brings Competition Quality BBQ to Central Florida #OklahomaJoesOneDaytona - November 25, 2018
- Central Florida Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals For 2018 - November 22, 2018