Busch Gardens Tampa has announced it will open Florida’s tallest launch coaster in spring 2019, called Tigris.
According to the park, the triple-launch, tiger-themed roller coaster will hurl riders down more than 1,800 feet of steel track, 150 feet into the sky, turn them upside down and swirl through curves at 60 miles per hour. It will also move backward at one point in the journey.
In the words of project manager Andrew Schaffer:
“It’s going to launch you forward out of the station, up the tower. It’s going to stop and then come backward through the station and launch you backward up the other tower.
You’ll get about three-quarters of the way up that tower and then come back down again and launch over 60 miles per hour one last time, forward through the station. And that will take you one last time up to the top of the ride, 150 feet in the air.
Then you will have a slow inversion called a heartline roll..and that is when you are going to lose your lunch.”
Taking its name from that of the world’s largest cat species, Panthera tigris, Tigris is being constructed in the Stanleyville area of the theme park adjacent to Jungala, which houses the park’s endangered Bengal tigers.
The Tigris queue will include educational content about the plight of tigers in the wild and what conservationists – including the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund – are doing to help save them.
In addition to announcing Tigris, Busch Gardens Tampa also stated that a “big attraction” is coming in 2020 in the space currently occupied by the closed wooden roller coaster Gwazi. No further information was given.
Are you excited by the Tigris announcement? Sounds like this will be one extreme coaster ride.
[Images courtesy of Busch Gardens Tampa]
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces 2019-2020 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando Season @drphillipsctr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 15, 2019
- Out and About: Cheddar’s Adds New Comfort Food Dishes to the Menu #CheddarsScratchKitchen #csktvtheloop - February 14, 2019
- Pentatonix and Rachel Platten Bring World Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center June 1 #PTXTheWorldTour - February 13, 2019
- Walt #Disney World Offering New Dining Package for Final Months of IllumiNations at Epcot - February 13, 2019
- 142nd Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 15-17, 2019 #SilverSpursRodeo - February 12, 2019
- Free Indie-Folkfest 2019 Returns to the Mennello Museum of American Art Feb 16 @MennelloMuseum - February 11, 2019
- Weekend of the Arts Festival Returns to Winter Park Feb 15-18, 2019 #WPInspires - February 10, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Valentine’s Day 2019 in Orlando and Central Florida - February 9, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando’s Seven Seas Food Festival Celebrates International Street Food Feb 9 – May 5, 2019 - February 8, 2019
- Osceola County Fair Celebrates 75th Anniversary Starting Feb 8, 2019 @OsceolaCoFair #OsceolaCountyFair - February 7, 2019