Busch Gardens Tampa has announced it will open Florida’s tallest launch coaster in spring 2019, called Tigris.
According to the park, the triple-launch, tiger-themed roller coaster will hurl riders down more than 1,800 feet of steel track, 150 feet into the sky, turn them upside down and swirl through curves at 60 miles per hour. It will also move backward at one point in the journey.
In the words of project manager Andrew Schaffer:
“It’s going to launch you forward out of the station, up the tower. It’s going to stop and then come backward through the station and launch you backward up the other tower.
You’ll get about three-quarters of the way up that tower and then come back down again and launch over 60 miles per hour one last time, forward through the station. And that will take you one last time up to the top of the ride, 150 feet in the air.
Then you will have a slow inversion called a heartline roll..and that is when you are going to lose your lunch.”
Taking its name from that of the world’s largest cat species, Panthera tigris, Tigris is being constructed in the Stanleyville area of the theme park adjacent to Jungala, which houses the park’s endangered Bengal tigers.
The Tigris queue will include educational content about the plight of tigers in the wild and what conservationists – including the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund – are doing to help save them.
In addition to announcing Tigris, Busch Gardens Tampa also stated that a “big attraction” is coming in 2020 in the space currently occupied by the closed wooden roller coaster Gwazi. No further information was given.
Are you excited by the Tigris announcement? Sounds like this will be one extreme coaster ride.
[Images courtesy of Busch Gardens Tampa]
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts The Wallflowers Oct 26 @HRHUniversalORL @TheWallflowers - October 16, 2018
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces New Annual Pass Program - October 15, 2018
- Wild Florida Hosts Sloth Week with Free Admission Oct 15-20 @WildFlorida - October 14, 2018
- Out and About: Sonny’s BBQ Celebrates National Pulled Pork Day 2018 with New Limited Menu Items - October 12, 2018
- Orlando International Airport Has Raised Parking Prices - October 11, 2018
- Annual Pink Off Park Celebration Returns October 19 in Winter Park - October 8, 2018
- Come Out With Pride 2018 Celebrates Orlando’s LGBTQ+ Community Oct 8-14 #KeepDancingOrlando @OrlandoPride - October 7, 2018
- Celebrate #NationalTacoDay 2018 on October 4 With These Orlando-Area Restaurants - October 4, 2018
- Infinity Falls to Open at SeaWorld Orlando October 4, 2018 - October 3, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events For October 2018 - October 1, 2018