Busch Gardens Tampa has announced it will open Florida’s tallest launch coaster in spring 2019, called Tigris.
According to the park, the triple-launch, tiger-themed roller coaster will hurl riders down more than 1,800 feet of steel track, 150 feet into the sky, turn them upside down and swirl through curves at 60 miles per hour. It will also move backward at one point in the journey.
In the words of project manager Andrew Schaffer:
“It’s going to launch you forward out of the station, up the tower. It’s going to stop and then come backward through the station and launch you backward up the other tower.
You’ll get about three-quarters of the way up that tower and then come back down again and launch over 60 miles per hour one last time, forward through the station. And that will take you one last time up to the top of the ride, 150 feet in the air.
Then you will have a slow inversion called a heartline roll..and that is when you are going to lose your lunch.”
Taking its name from that of the world’s largest cat species, Panthera tigris, Tigris is being constructed in the Stanleyville area of the theme park adjacent to Jungala, which houses the park’s endangered Bengal tigers.
The Tigris queue will include educational content about the plight of tigers in the wild and what conservationists – including the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund – are doing to help save them.
In addition to announcing Tigris, Busch Gardens Tampa also stated that a “big attraction” is coming in 2020 in the space currently occupied by the closed wooden roller coaster Gwazi. No further information was given.
Are you excited by the Tigris announcement? Sounds like this will be one extreme coaster ride.
[Images courtesy of Busch Gardens Tampa]
- Dr Phillips Center Hosts Auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar National Tour on Saturday, April 20 @drphillipsctr #JesusChristSuperstar - April 18, 2019
- Party for the Planet Returns to Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 20-22, 2019 #EarthDay2019 #PartyforthePlanet - April 17, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2019 Picks For Easter Dining And Family Fun In Orlando - April 16, 2019
- Monster Jam World Finals XX Roll Into Orlando’s Camping World Stadium May 10-11, 2019 #MonsterJam - April 15, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Digital Ticket Lottery for Dear Evan Hansen #YouWillBeFound #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - April 12, 2019
- Five Reasons You Should Attend the 2019 Florida Film Festival #FFF2019 - April 11, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events for April 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - April 7, 2019
- Out and About: CityArts Opens in Historic Roger Kiene Building in Downtown Orlando - March 31, 2019
- Out and About: Tony Roma’s Serves Up Delicious New Classics Menu Through April 28, 2019 @TonyRomas - March 27, 2019
- Orlando Shakes and Michael Andrew Bring to Life the World Premiere of Jack and the Beanstalk April 4 – May 4, 2019 @OrlandoShakes - March 25, 2019