Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex has officially announced Lockheed Martin as the title sponsor for the new Astronaut Training Experience® (ATX).
The occasion was marked with fanfare and celebrations as representatives from Lockheed Martin pressed a ceremonial “launch” button to signify the official beginning of the relationship with Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
In addition, students from Stone Middle School and Southwest Middle School tested their skills in the Astronaut Training Experience program during which they discovered what it would be like to train like the next generation of space explorers who will travel to Mars.
As part of its title sponsorship, Lockheed Martin has loaned Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex a full-scale mock-up of an interactive deep space habitat that visitors can walk through to see concepts of how astronauts will soon walk in orbit around the Moon.
Lockheed Martin is working with NASA under its NextSTEP program to develop a prototype of a lunar orbiting habitat for NASA’s Gateway. Visitors will be able to walk through the mock-up display and see concepts of how astronauts will soon work in orbit around the Moon.
Lisa Callahan, vice president and general manager for Commercial Civil Space at Lockheed Martin said during the announcement, “This is an exciting time in human spaceflight. We’re building the Orion spacecraft here at the Kennedy Space Center, and it’s my hope that one of the students learning in the Astronaut Training Experience will one day be one of the astronauts that flies Orion to Mars.”
Through the rest of this year, fifth graders (for fall of 2018) throughout the country who visit with a full-admission-paying-adult*, will receive free, one-day admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and be able to explore on their own, though the Astronaut Training Experience and Mars Base 1 are add-on experiences. Limit three free children’s tickets per paying adult. Not valid for use with any other offers (Florida resident, military, etc.)
For more information or to book a visit, go to KennedySpaceCenter.com.
[Photo courtesy Kennedy Space Center]
- Out and About: Mean Girls is More Than Just Another High School Musical .. @DrPhillipsCtr @MeanGirlsBway - February 26, 2020
- 14th Annual Wekiva Paint Out Returns March 1-7 at Wekiva Island .. @WekivaIsland - February 26, 2020
- Luke Combs Brings 2020 Tour to Amway Center in Orlando in November .. @AmwayCenter @LukeCombs - February 25, 2020
- Orlando Fringe Hosts Peace, Love, & Fringe! Fundraiser at Orlando Museum of Art Feb 28, 2020 .. @OrlandoFringe #PeaceLoveFringe - February 24, 2020
- The Weeknd Brings After Hours Tour to Amway Center in Orlando July 2020 .. @AmwayCenter @TheWeeknd - February 24, 2020
- The 13th Annual UCF-Orlando Jazz Festival Comes to UCF Feb 28-29 .. @UCF #OrlandoArts - February 23, 2020
- The TODAY Show to Broadcast Live from Universal Orlando on Feb 28, 2020 .. @UniversalOrlando @TODAYshow - February 22, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating National Margarita Day Feb 22, 2020 .. #NationalMargaritaDay - February 21, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando 2020/2021 Season .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 20, 2020
- The Masked Singer National Tour Comes to Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center This Summer .. #TheMaskedSinger @DrPhillipsCtr - February 17, 2020