The Florida State League announced its 2018 All-Star Game rosters on Friday, and Brett Cumberland, Cristian Pache and Chad Sobotka will represent the Florida Fire Frogs for the North squad.
The game will take place Saturday, June 16 at George M. Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. The North division will be managed by Dunedin Blue Jays manager, Casey Candaele.
Brett Cumberland has appeared in 43 games for the Fire Frogs, including 26 starts as Florida’s backstop. The product of Cal has thrown out 14 out of 30 potential base stealers in 2018, posting a mark of 47 percent, which ranks tied for second in the league, along with teammate Lucas Herbert, for catcher’s who have appeared in more than 20 games behind the plate.
The 22-year-old enters the weekend against the Clearwater Threshers (PHI) tied for second in the league with 29 walks at the plate this season, with 12 of those coming during his current 10-game on-base streak. The native of Turlock, Calif. currently leads the Fire Frogs with a .275 on-base percentage entering the month of June.
Cristian Pache leads the Atlanta Braves’ Advanced-A affiliate in hits (52), doubles (9) and triples (3), and has also collected his first two professional home runs in 2018. The 19-year-old has also pieced together three hitting streaks of seven games, or more, this season, and is currently in the midst of a seven-game streak entering the weekend.
Chad Sobotka ended his tenure as a Fire Frog on a 7.2-scoreless innings streak before being promoted to Double-A Mississippi on May 15. The hard-throwing right-hander went 2-0 with a 2.20 ERA (5er/20.1ip) in his time at the High-A level in 2018 (13 games/1 start), compiling 28 strikeouts, and holding opponents to a .121 batting average out of the bullpen.
First pitch of the 2018 All-Star game is scheduled for 6:30pm, and there will be a post-game fireworks display. There will also be a home run derby on Friday, June 15, beginning at 6:30pm.
For more information, please contact the Tampa Tarpons at (813) 673-3045, or visit MILB.com for tickets.
The Florida Fire Frogs are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves and compete in the Florida State League. The Fire Frogs play their home games at Osceola County Stadium, located at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Fla. For more information, please visit FloridaFireFrogs.com.
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts The Wallflowers Oct 26 @HRHUniversalORL @TheWallflowers - October 16, 2018
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces New Annual Pass Program - October 15, 2018
- Wild Florida Hosts Sloth Week with Free Admission Oct 15-20 @WildFlorida - October 14, 2018
- Out and About: Sonny’s BBQ Celebrates National Pulled Pork Day 2018 with New Limited Menu Items - October 12, 2018
- Orlando International Airport Has Raised Parking Prices - October 11, 2018
- Annual Pink Off Park Celebration Returns October 19 in Winter Park - October 8, 2018
- Come Out With Pride 2018 Celebrates Orlando’s LGBTQ+ Community Oct 8-14 #KeepDancingOrlando @OrlandoPride - October 7, 2018
- Celebrate #NationalTacoDay 2018 on October 4 With These Orlando-Area Restaurants - October 4, 2018
- Infinity Falls to Open at SeaWorld Orlando October 4, 2018 - October 3, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events For October 2018 - October 1, 2018