The Florida State League announced its 2018 All-Star Game rosters on Friday, and Brett Cumberland, Cristian Pache and Chad Sobotka will represent the Florida Fire Frogs for the North squad.
The game will take place Saturday, June 16 at George M. Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. The North division will be managed by Dunedin Blue Jays manager, Casey Candaele.
Brett Cumberland has appeared in 43 games for the Fire Frogs, including 26 starts as Florida’s backstop. The product of Cal has thrown out 14 out of 30 potential base stealers in 2018, posting a mark of 47 percent, which ranks tied for second in the league, along with teammate Lucas Herbert, for catcher’s who have appeared in more than 20 games behind the plate.
The 22-year-old enters the weekend against the Clearwater Threshers (PHI) tied for second in the league with 29 walks at the plate this season, with 12 of those coming during his current 10-game on-base streak. The native of Turlock, Calif. currently leads the Fire Frogs with a .275 on-base percentage entering the month of June.
Cristian Pache leads the Atlanta Braves’ Advanced-A affiliate in hits (52), doubles (9) and triples (3), and has also collected his first two professional home runs in 2018. The 19-year-old has also pieced together three hitting streaks of seven games, or more, this season, and is currently in the midst of a seven-game streak entering the weekend.
Chad Sobotka ended his tenure as a Fire Frog on a 7.2-scoreless innings streak before being promoted to Double-A Mississippi on May 15. The hard-throwing right-hander went 2-0 with a 2.20 ERA (5er/20.1ip) in his time at the High-A level in 2018 (13 games/1 start), compiling 28 strikeouts, and holding opponents to a .121 batting average out of the bullpen.
First pitch of the 2018 All-Star game is scheduled for 6:30pm, and there will be a post-game fireworks display. There will also be a home run derby on Friday, June 15, beginning at 6:30pm.
For more information, please contact the Tampa Tarpons at (813) 673-3045, or visit MILB.com for tickets.
The Florida Fire Frogs are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves and compete in the Florida State League. The Fire Frogs play their home games at Osceola County Stadium, located at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Fla. For more information, please visit FloridaFireFrogs.com.
- Pirates Dinner Adventure To Reopen July 4 After Hurricane Irma Damage - June 19, 2018
- Chef Gary Appelsies Launches Free Central Florida YMCA Summer Food Tour - June 18, 2018
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Debuts New ‘Jurassic World’ Kids’ Suites - June 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup June 16, 2018: Cask & Larder, Pizza Bruno, Pharmacy, Paddlefish, and More - June 16, 2018
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts Ron Pope June 29, 2018 - June 15, 2018
- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Removes All Single-Use Plastic Shopping Bags and Plastic Straws from its 12 Theme Parks - June 14, 2018
- Nicki Minaj And Future bring their ‘NickiHndrxx’ Tour to Amway Center Oct 20, 2018 - June 13, 2018
- Orlando Science Center Celebrates Superhero Week June 14-17, 2018 - June 12, 2018
- Coke Zero Sugar 400 Weekend Roars Into Daytona International Speedway July 5-7, 2018 @DISupdates - June 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Father’s Day 2018 *UPDATED* - June 10, 2018