Forget Shark Week. Wild Florida will hold its annual Gator Week May 7-12, and best of all, admission is free to its Gator and Wildlife Park during that week.
Even though many view alligators as fierce carnivores always on the hunt, that’s not actually the case. To help dispel the myths, Wild Florida decided to dedicate an entire week to educating and debunking many common misunderstandings surrounding these reptiles through live demonstrations and interactive experiences.
Here is what is scheduled for Gator Week 2018:
Monday, May 7 – Gator Smash Demo
- See the power of an alligator’s and crocodile’s bite and time their reflexes through a bite demonstration with fruits and vegetables.
Tuesday, May 8 – Gator Jumpathon
- People often think alligators can only hunt for food that happens to go for a swim but, their powerful tails can help propel half of their body out of the air. Join Wild Florida at 11:30am and 3pm at the Gator Pond to see just how high alligators can jump!
- In between all the gator-themed activities for the day, there will also be bounce houses available for kids to enjoy!
Wednesday, May 9 – Best Gator Call and Race Competition
- Just like a cat or a dog, alligators make a very distinct sound that everyone can master. Join Wild Florida at 12pm in the Exotic Animal Pavilion where they’ll host the first ever Gator Call competition! Not only will the winner take home bragging rights for being the best gator caller but will take a home a special prize from one of the sponsors!
- Stick around for a Gator Race where the winning gator will determine what charity all the money placed during the race will go to.
Thursday, May 10 – Bite Force Comparison
- You might know that alligators have a strong bite. But just how strong is it? Join Wild Florida at the Gator Feeding Show pavilion as they’ll measure the bite force of a snapping turtle, freshwater crocodile, alligator, and caiman.
Friday, May 11 – ‘Taste of Gator Cook-off’
- You’ve probably had a shrimp po’boy before, but what about a gator po’boy? There are a ton of dishes you can cook up with alligator meat, and their chef, Ramon, will cook up a variety of gator dishes and have local food bloggers judge the flavor of each dish. Later that evening, Wild Florida will have an alligator and BBQ buffet available for you to see if alligator really tastes like chicken.
- And, if you’re feeling brave enough, you can even dine and paint with Wild Florida’s biggest alligator, Crusher!
Saturday, May 12 – Meet Wild Florida’s Biggest Gator, Crusher!
- For all you thrill seekers out there, this is your night. To end Wild Florida’s 2nd Annual Gator Week with a blast, they’re staying open past 6pm and holding a night edition of their Gator Feeding Show and Jumpathon to dispel the rumor that alligators will only jump during the day.
- Throughout the evening, they’ll also be offering discounted night airboat rides so everyone can see what takes place at night at Wild Florida.
Wild Florida is located at 3301 Lake Cypress Rd, Kenansville, FL 34739, just south of Kissimmee via the Turnpike. Hours are 9am to 6pm Monday through Saturday; closed on Sunday.
- Walt Disney World To Cut Theme Park Hours Starting in September .. #WaltDisneyWorld - August 11, 2020
- Enchanted Fairy Doors Returns to Harry P. Leu Gardens … #LeuGardens #FairyDoors - August 10, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For August 7, 2020: Pig Floyd’s, Framework Craft Coffee Bar, The New Standard, Paddlefish, Eola General, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - August 7, 2020
- The 2020 Florida Film Festival Goes Virtual August 8-20 .. #FFF2020 - August 6, 2020
- Country Thunder Florida Cancels 2020 Festival and Announces 2021 Dates .. #CountryThunder #musicfestivals #Kissimmee - August 5, 2020
- Walt Disney World Replaces Beauty and the Beast Show at Disney’s Hollywood Studios .. #WaltDisneyWorld #BeautyandtheBeast - August 4, 2020
- Walt Disney World Swan Resort Reopens With Deal for Florida Resident and WDW Passholders .. #SwanandDolphin #FloridaResidentDeals - August 4, 2020
- Universal Orlando Offers Special ‘Buy a Day’ Deal to Florida Residents for Limited Time .. #UniversalOrlando #FloridaResidentDeals - August 3, 2020
- Florida Back To School Sales Tax Holiday Returns August 2020 .. #SchoolTaxHoliday #BacktoSchool - July 31, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 30, 2020: Sister Honey’s, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Finca, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - July 30, 2020