Forget Shark Week. Wild Florida will hold its annual Gator Week May 7-12, and best of all, admission is free to its Gator and Wildlife Park during that week.
Even though many view alligators as fierce carnivores always on the hunt, that’s not actually the case. To help dispel the myths, Wild Florida decided to dedicate an entire week to educating and debunking many common misunderstandings surrounding these reptiles through live demonstrations and interactive experiences.
Here is what is scheduled for Gator Week 2018:
Monday, May 7 – Gator Smash Demo
- See the power of an alligator’s and crocodile’s bite and time their reflexes through a bite demonstration with fruits and vegetables.
Tuesday, May 8 – Gator Jumpathon
- People often think alligators can only hunt for food that happens to go for a swim but, their powerful tails can help propel half of their body out of the air. Join Wild Florida at 11:30am and 3pm at the Gator Pond to see just how high alligators can jump!
- In between all the gator-themed activities for the day, there will also be bounce houses available for kids to enjoy!
Wednesday, May 9 – Best Gator Call and Race Competition
- Just like a cat or a dog, alligators make a very distinct sound that everyone can master. Join Wild Florida at 12pm in the Exotic Animal Pavilion where they’ll host the first ever Gator Call competition! Not only will the winner take home bragging rights for being the best gator caller but will take a home a special prize from one of the sponsors!
- Stick around for a Gator Race where the winning gator will determine what charity all the money placed during the race will go to.
Thursday, May 10 – Bite Force Comparison
- You might know that alligators have a strong bite. But just how strong is it? Join Wild Florida at the Gator Feeding Show pavilion as they’ll measure the bite force of a snapping turtle, freshwater crocodile, alligator, and caiman.
Friday, May 11 – ‘Taste of Gator Cook-off’
- You’ve probably had a shrimp po’boy before, but what about a gator po’boy? There are a ton of dishes you can cook up with alligator meat, and their chef, Ramon, will cook up a variety of gator dishes and have local food bloggers judge the flavor of each dish. Later that evening, Wild Florida will have an alligator and BBQ buffet available for you to see if alligator really tastes like chicken.
- And, if you’re feeling brave enough, you can even dine and paint with Wild Florida’s biggest alligator, Crusher!
Saturday, May 12 – Meet Wild Florida’s Biggest Gator, Crusher!
- For all you thrill seekers out there, this is your night. To end Wild Florida’s 2nd Annual Gator Week with a blast, they’re staying open past 6pm and holding a night edition of their Gator Feeding Show and Jumpathon to dispel the rumor that alligators will only jump during the day.
- Throughout the evening, they’ll also be offering discounted night airboat rides so everyone can see what takes place at night at Wild Florida.
Wild Florida is located at 3301 Lake Cypress Rd, Kenansville, FL 34739, just south of Kissimmee via the Turnpike. Hours are 9am to 6pm Monday through Saturday; closed on Sunday.
- Walt Disney World Resort to Offer Special 4-Park Magic Tickets in 2019 - January 17, 2019
- LEGOLAND® Florida Offers New Free Florida Resident Preschool Pass - January 15, 2019
- Don’t Miss Your Shot! Hamilton Comes to the Dr. Phillips Center Jan 22-Feb 10, 2019! @DrPhillipsCtr - January 14, 2019
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks For Free On January 17, 2019 - January 14, 2019
- 2019 Preschool Card Returns for Free Admission to SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica for Florida Kids - January 13, 2019
- The 2019 Florida State Fair Comes to Tampa Feb 7-18 + Win Tickets! #MyFloridaStateFair @FLStateFair - January 12, 2019
- Go Behind-The-Scenes at SeaWorld Orlando During Inside Look Weekends in January - January 11, 2019
- Orlando Science Center Hosts #Otronicon Edition of Science Night Live Jan 19, 2019 - January 10, 2019
- Aquatica® Orlando Becomes First Water Park In The World To Be A Certified Autism Center - January 9, 2019
- Go Back 20 Years with The Pauses 1998 Tribute Show Weekend at Will’s Pub Jan 11-12 - January 8, 2019