Aiming to fight hunger for a third year, Beth McKee and the Swamp Sistas Songwriter Circle will launch the La La Summer Hope Virtual Food Drive at Casselberry’s Earth Fest in Lake Concord Park on Saturday, April 28.
Admission to the Earth Fest and the Swamp Sistas Songwriter Circle is free.
The campaign will run from April 28 until the end of the La La May 19 at Orlando Fringe, where cash and check donations will also be accepted.
Donations can be made to the Virtual Food Drive at lalasummerhope.com.
Other events will include a volunteer day at the 2nd Harvest Warehouse, a preview of the La La festival, and the La La at the Orlando Fringe Festival:
May 2: The Swamp Sistas Songwriter Circle will host their third annual Volunteer Jam at Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida on Wednesday, May 2. Friends are invited to volunteer for a food sorting session at 6 p.m. Afterwards, everyone will enjoy snacks provided by 2nd Harvest’s “Catering For Good” program in the Darden Community Center and the Swamp Sistas Songwriter Circle will perform. Volunteers may sign up at http://vhub.at/LalaSummerHopeforkids. Catering for Good is a program through the 2nd Harvest Food Bank which provides an opportunity for people to be a part of a culinary team. This special culinary team will provide the food for the Volunteer Jam.
May 9: The La La Day of Giving means matched donations. Last spring, the Swamp Sistas’ La La Summer Hope campaign helped provide an additional 52,000 meals to area kids over the summer months and this year, two generous donors will be matching donations made on or before May 9. A $20 donation at lalasummerhope.com becomes $40, $50 becomes $100, and so on. Beth’s enthusiasm for the effort is infectious. “What a tremendous opportunity, to make a difference in the lives of so many children, right here in our community, just make a donation on or before May 9 and the gift is doubled.”
When McKee talks about the La La’s and their community mission, her enthusiasm is evident:
“Over the past two years, we’ve raised $25,000 for this cause, and this year we aim to raise another $25,000 which will mean an additional 100,000 meals for kids in low-income families in our community, this summer.”
To learn more visit swampsistas.com, or call (407)579-0439
- Electric Ocean Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Memorial Day Weekend - May 23, 2018
- Orlando Officially Named Host City For 2022 Special Olympics USA Games - May 21, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup May 19, 2018: Taste Central Florida, Habit Burger, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, and More - May 19, 2018
- IAAPA Breaks Ground on New International Headquarters in Orlando - May 18, 2018
- MEGACON Orlando to give First Look at New Madame Tussauds’ Justice League Exhibit - May 16, 2018
- Headliners Announced for Rock the Universe 2018 at Universal Orlando - May 14, 2018
- Out and About: Orlando Welcomes 72 Million Visitors in 2017 #VisitOrlando - May 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Mother’s Day 2018 - May 10, 2018
- Schedule Announced for Sunset Music Festival in Tampa May 26-27, 2018 #SMF2018 - May 9, 2018
- Reading is Magical with Disney on Ice and the Orlando Public Library on May 10, 2018 - May 8, 2018