Legendary singer/songwriter Richard Marx is bringing his catalog of hits to the Plaza Live Orlando for a show on March 18, 2018, and it’s one not to miss.
The Chicago native has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide, starting with his self-titled debut which went to #8 and spawned four Top 5 singles, including the chart-topping “Hold on to the Nights.” The first single, “Don’t Mean Nothing,” also earned him a Grammy nomination for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance.
But his career path was influenced early in his life by growing up with two parents who were in the business, including a father who wrote jingles.
“I started singing my dad’s jingles when I was about 5.” said Marx in an interview I conducted with him this week. “Didn’t start writing songs until I was 14 or 15. But the first song I ever recorded was at age 10 when I recorded a song as a present for my father. It was Elvis’ “The Next Step Is Love.” There’s an old cassette tape of it somewhere.”
After graduating high school, Marx headed west at the urging of Lionel Richie, and began writing songs for others, including a partnership with legendary producer David Foster. Marx’s songs have been hits for artists as varied as Kenny Rogers, Chicago, N’Sync, and Freddie Jackson.
He has scored an amazing total of fourteen #1 singles (including Keith Urban’s #1 smash “Long Hot Summer”) both as a performer and songwriter/producer, and Marx holds the honor of being one of a handful of artists who have had a number one hit in each of the past four decades.
“Did he ever wish there was a song he wrote for someone else that he’d kept for himself?” I asked in our interview.
Marx replied, “Never. I write so many songs. And the ones that are the most personal to me are the ones I record. It’s also very possible that the hits I’ve had that were sung by other artists might not have become hits if I’d sung them.”
Turns out he picked the right songs to keep. Marx had a stream of hit singles in the late 1980s and 1990s, including “Endless Summer Nights,” “Right Here Waiting,” “Now and Forever,” “Should’ve Known Better,” “Satisfied,” and “Too Late to Say Goodbye.” I know a lot his music was the soundtrack for a lot of my memories during that time period.
Even today Marx is writing song for himself and others. When I asked how he kept the music fresh after three decades in the business, Marx replied, ” I still get the most intense thrill from writing and recording new material. And I’ve never enjoyed performing more. I just feel profoundly grateful that I still get to do it for a living. Why would I want to do anything else? I just wrote a gorgeous song with Burt Bacharach. He’ll be 90 in May. And all he wants to do is write more songs. That’s inspiring.”
He also finds his fans provide incentive to do what he does: “I truly do love meeting them and hearing from them. I’ve had great and loyal fans. And I’m keenly aware that concert tickets aren’t cheap, so I give everything I’ve got onstage. But I’m very appreciative to be able to do this for a living.”
I’ll have the full interview with Richard Marx up next week, but in the meantime, don’t miss this great singer/songwriter when he comes to town for the Plaza Live Orlando show!
Tickets start at $39.50, and are available at plazaliveorlando.org or at the venue box office.
- The Roth Family Jewish Community Center to Host Author Jenna Blum Aug 27 .. @Jenna_Blum @orlandoJCC - August 16, 2019
- Disney On Ice Presents Road Trip Adventures at Amway Center Sept 6-8 + Ticket Giveaway! .. @DisneyOnIce #RoadTripAdventures - August 14, 2019
- Walt Disney World Hosts Grand Opening of NBA Experience at Disney Springs .. #Disney #NBAExperience - August 13, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Hosts Free Open House for Fall Arts Classes Aug 17 .. @DrPhillipsCtr - August 12, 2019
- The Orlando Boat Show Returns August 16-18, 2019 + Win Tickets! #Giveaway #TheOrlandoBoatShow - August 8, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Fall 2019 Classes Now on Sale … @DrPhillipsCtr - August 6, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events For August 2019 ::UPDATED:: #OrlandoFoodies - July 31, 2019
- Out and About: Smoothie King Serves Up Pure Pineapple Recharge for Summer #ad @SmoothieKing - July 30, 2019
- Taste! Central Florida Announces Over 40 Participants for 2019 Event @TasteCFL - July 29, 2019
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 27, 2019: Ocean Prime Orlando, Boxi Park, Tijuana Flats, Del Frisco’s, and More - July 27, 2019