Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts celebrated Pi Day by revealing the two little girls chosen for their big break in the critically acclaimed Broadway musical WAITRESS playing March 20-25.
Delainey Silvestro, age 5, and Ella Helton, also age 5, will make their professional debut on the Walt Disney Theater stage this week.
Auditions for the role of Lulu were held February 28 at the arts center by WAITRESS creative team members and Dr. Phillips Center Director of Education Dana Brazil.
Delainey and Ella were among over 30 aspiring actresses under age 5 (and three months) interviewed to play a “sweet, carefree” young girl in the finale scene of the Tony-nominated show. Both girls are active in dance classes. Delainey also takes piano and showed an interest in acting after her older brother and sister got involved in the theater. Pre-K student Ella takes private voice and acting, having appeared in commercials and toy catalogues. She decided to audition for the Fairwinds Broadway in Orlando tour of WAITRESS when she saw the video of the original Lulu and, according to her mother, “got very excited.”
During the reveal, the girls visited the arts center for a tour of the theater and dressing rooms. They also got to meet singer-songwriter Jason Mraz, recent star of the Broadway production of WAITRESS, who was in town to perform his Solo Acoustic tour at the venue.
The girls will split the performance dates during the Orlando engagement.
Inspired by Adrienne Shelley’s beloved film, WAITRESS tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie baker working at a local diner and stuck in a loveless marriage. Her salvation comes in the form of her daughter, “Lulu.”
Brought to life by a groundbreaking all-female creative team, the irresistible Broadway hit features original music and lyrics by six-time Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles (“Brave,” “Love Song”), a book by acclaimed screenwriter Jessie Nelson (“I Am Sam”), and direction by Tony Award-winner Diane Paulus (Finding Neverland, Pippin, Hair).
Tickets are now available for WAITRESS and may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office at 445 S. Magnolia Avenue between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday. Online and phone ticket purchases are subject to handling fees.
[photos: Dr. Phillips Center/Credit: Ian Suarez ]
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Announces Special Veterans Day 2019 Offer .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #VeteransDay - November 8, 2019
- Country Thunder Returns to Kissimmee in 2020 with All-Star Line-Up .. @CountryThunder - November 7, 2019
- College Park JazzFest Returns with Great Sounds, Food, and More November 9, 2019 .. #CollegeParkJazzed - November 6, 2019
- Out and About: Dr. Phillips Center Fall Arts Classes – The Beginning .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoArts - November 5, 2019
- Time to Get Your DIY On At Maker Faire Orlando November 9-10, 2019 .. #OrlandoMakers - November 2, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events For November 2019 .. #OrlandoFoodies - November 1, 2019