Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts celebrated Pi Day by revealing the two little girls chosen for their big break in the critically acclaimed Broadway musical WAITRESS playing March 20-25.
Delainey Silvestro, age 5, and Ella Helton, also age 5, will make their professional debut on the Walt Disney Theater stage this week.
Auditions for the role of Lulu were held February 28 at the arts center by WAITRESS creative team members and Dr. Phillips Center Director of Education Dana Brazil.
Delainey and Ella were among over 30 aspiring actresses under age 5 (and three months) interviewed to play a “sweet, carefree” young girl in the finale scene of the Tony-nominated show. Both girls are active in dance classes. Delainey also takes piano and showed an interest in acting after her older brother and sister got involved in the theater. Pre-K student Ella takes private voice and acting, having appeared in commercials and toy catalogues. She decided to audition for the Fairwinds Broadway in Orlando tour of WAITRESS when she saw the video of the original Lulu and, according to her mother, “got very excited.”
During the reveal, the girls visited the arts center for a tour of the theater and dressing rooms. They also got to meet singer-songwriter Jason Mraz, recent star of the Broadway production of WAITRESS, who was in town to perform his Solo Acoustic tour at the venue.
The girls will split the performance dates during the Orlando engagement.
Inspired by Adrienne Shelley’s beloved film, WAITRESS tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie baker working at a local diner and stuck in a loveless marriage. Her salvation comes in the form of her daughter, “Lulu.”
Brought to life by a groundbreaking all-female creative team, the irresistible Broadway hit features original music and lyrics by six-time Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles (“Brave,” “Love Song”), a book by acclaimed screenwriter Jessie Nelson (“I Am Sam”), and direction by Tony Award-winner Diane Paulus (Finding Neverland, Pippin, Hair).
Tickets are now available for WAITRESS and may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office at 445 S. Magnolia Avenue between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday. Online and phone ticket purchases are subject to handling fees.
[photos: Dr. Phillips Center/Credit: Ian Suarez ]
- SeaWorld Orlando Hosts “Flicks & Fireworks” This Weekend .. #SeaWorldOrlando #FlicksFireworks - July 8, 2020
- Tango Cares Needs Your Help to Feed Orlando’s Unemployed Hospitality Workers .. #TangoCares #MiasItalianKitchen #CafeTuTuTango - July 6, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 5, 2020: The Old Jailhouse, Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream, Chef Bruno Fonseca, Shake Shack, And More .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoRestaurants - July 5, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2020 .. #4thofJuly #Fireworks #Grilling - July 1, 2020
- The Bourne Stuntacular to Grand Open at Universal Orlando June 30, 2020 with Sneak Peek Online June 29 .. #UniversalOrlando #BourneStuntacular #ThemeParkNews - June 29, 2020
- Florida Suspends Alcohol Consumption at Bars Again Due to COVID-19 .. #FloridaBars #DoYourPart - June 28, 2020
- Orange County Florida Launches New “Safer, Stronger, Together” Campaign for Businesses & Residents to Combat COVID-19 Spread .. #DoYourPartORL #VisitOrlando @OrangeCoFL - June 27, 2020
- Walt Disney World to Give Magic Kingdom’s Splash Mountain New ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Theme .. #WaltDisneyWorld #SplashMountain #ThePrincessandtheFrog #Tiana - June 26, 2020
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex to Host ‘MLS is Back’ Tournament This Summer .. #WaltDisneyWorld #ESPN #WWoS #MLSisBack #Soccer - June 21, 2020
- Walt Disney World Cancels Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party for 2020 .. #Disney #MNSSHP #Halloween - June 20, 2020