Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts celebrated Pi Day by revealing the two little girls chosen for their big break in the critically acclaimed Broadway musical WAITRESS playing March 20-25.
Delainey Silvestro, age 5, and Ella Helton, also age 5, will make their professional debut on the Walt Disney Theater stage this week.
Auditions for the role of Lulu were held February 28 at the arts center by WAITRESS creative team members and Dr. Phillips Center Director of Education Dana Brazil.
Delainey and Ella were among over 30 aspiring actresses under age 5 (and three months) interviewed to play a “sweet, carefree” young girl in the finale scene of the Tony-nominated show. Both girls are active in dance classes. Delainey also takes piano and showed an interest in acting after her older brother and sister got involved in the theater. Pre-K student Ella takes private voice and acting, having appeared in commercials and toy catalogues. She decided to audition for the Fairwinds Broadway in Orlando tour of WAITRESS when she saw the video of the original Lulu and, according to her mother, “got very excited.”
During the reveal, the girls visited the arts center for a tour of the theater and dressing rooms. They also got to meet singer-songwriter Jason Mraz, recent star of the Broadway production of WAITRESS, who was in town to perform his Solo Acoustic tour at the venue.
The girls will split the performance dates during the Orlando engagement.
Inspired by Adrienne Shelley’s beloved film, WAITRESS tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie baker working at a local diner and stuck in a loveless marriage. Her salvation comes in the form of her daughter, “Lulu.”
Brought to life by a groundbreaking all-female creative team, the irresistible Broadway hit features original music and lyrics by six-time Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles (“Brave,” “Love Song”), a book by acclaimed screenwriter Jessie Nelson (“I Am Sam”), and direction by Tony Award-winner Diane Paulus (Finding Neverland, Pippin, Hair).
Tickets are now available for WAITRESS and may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office at 445 S. Magnolia Avenue between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday. Online and phone ticket purchases are subject to handling fees.
[photos: Dr. Phillips Center/Credit: Ian Suarez ]
- Lucky’s Market to Close Nearly All Central Florida Stores by February 2020 .. @LuckysMarket - January 21, 2020
- Poo-Pourri Giant Poo Experience Tour to Make Orlando Stop January 24-26, 2020 .. @PooPourri - January 21, 2020
- 2020 AMP’d Series Showcases Local Talent at Dr. Phillips Center .. @DrPhillipsCtr - January 20, 2020
- LEGO® NINJAGO® Days Take Over LEGOLAND Florida Weekends In January and February 2020 .. #BuiltForKids @LegolandFlorida - January 19, 2020
- Disney’s ALADDIN Tour Members To Host ‘SONGS FROM A WHOLE NEW WORLD’ Benefit on Jan 27, 2020 .. @aladdin - January 18, 2020
- Christian Music Fest ‘Rock The Universe’ Returns to Universal Orlando Jan 24-25, 2020 .. #RocktheUniverse @UniversalOrlando - January 17, 2020
- Central Florida Fair to Add New Livestock and Event Pavilion .. @CentralFLFair - January 17, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the Orlando Returns of ‘Hamilton’ and ‘Wicked’ .. #OrlandoBroadwaySeries @DrPhillipsCtr @HamiltonMusical @WICKED_Musical #FAIRWINDSBway - January 16, 2020
- Frontier Airlines Announces Plans for OIA Maintenance Hangar and Opens Training Facility in Orlando .. @FlyFrontier @MCO - January 16, 2020
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2020 Events in Central Florida .. #MLK2020 #MLKDay - January 15, 2020