Earlier this fall, it was announced by Visit Orlando that they would begin a search for Orlando’s Signature Dish, a dessert featuring the key ingredient of honey.
At their year-end luncheon, Visit Orlando announced the final results of that search.
The winning dish, “Orlando’s Honey Nougat Glacé,” is an Italian meringue prepared with honey, nougat and fruit confit, on a red berries sorbet from Chef Catherine Delrieu of Mon Petit Cheri in Winter Park.
“I wanted to create something different and refreshing to showcase local honey, but with balanced flavors so that it does not become too overpowering with sweetness,” said Chef Catherine Delrieu. “The entire process has been really exciting and challenging. I’m very proud to have been a part of this.”
With more than a month-long window for trying the desserts in restaurants and submitting a vote online, the public narrowed down the field of honey desserts to the top 10 dishes.
Then an esteemed judging panel sampled all 10 finalists’ entries and rated them on the following criteria: Execution, Appearance, Taste, Creativity, Originality, Use of Honey and Representation of Orlando.
The panel of judges included:
- Celebrity Chef Art Smith, Homecomin’ and two-time James Beard Foundation Award Winner
- Tish Boyle, co-editor of Dessert Professional magazine
- Lauren Delgado, multimedia food reporter for the Orlando Sentinel
- Scott Joseph, veteran restaurant critic for scottjosephorlando.com
“Orlando’s Honey Nougat Glacé stood out because you could really taste the honey,” said Chef Art Smith. “Yet it had this wonderful clean refreshing aftertaste – a total sweet honey bomb with a delicious tart fruit that soothes. Congratulations to Chef Catherine on this fabulous dish.”
Find more information at VisitOrlando.com/Dish.
Watch the announcement of the winning dish:
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup March 16, 2018: Urbain 40, Hunger Street Tacos, Morthan Cheese, and More - March 16, 2018
- Walt Disney World to Start Charging Resort Guests Overnight Parking Fees - March 15, 2018
- JAY-Z And Beyoncé to Bring On The Run II Tour to Orlando’s Camping World Stadium Aug 29, 2018 - March 12, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2018 Picks For Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day - March 11, 2018
- 59th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival Returns March 16-18, 2018 - March 10, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup March 9, 2018: Spoleto, Seasons52, J-Petal Orlando, and More - March 9, 2018
- The Florida Mall to Host Easter Caring Bunny Day for Kids with Sensory Sensitivity March 11, 2018 - March 8, 2018
- CELEBRATING DAVID BOWIE Dances Into Plaza Live Orlando March 15, 2018 - March 7, 2018
- Mickey Dolenz: The Voice of the Monkees to Perform in The Villages March 10, 2018 - March 6, 2018
- Before Ghosts Comedy Troop to Debut at Central Florida Improv Fest March 9, 2018 - March 5, 2018