Recalling the vintage pastry shops of the mid-1900s, The Glass Knife opens this weekend in Winter Park.
The name comes from owner Steve Brown’s mother and her collection of vintage 1920’s era glass cake knives, many of which are on display inlaid in the communal wood table that occupies the center of the eatery.
Other seating includes booths with marble tables and and outdoor covered patio.
The menu features classic cakes, artisan doughnuts, and other desserts from Executive Chef Stuart Whitfield, who has worked for Four Seasons, Le Cirque, David Burke & Donatella, and The Walt Disney Co. Flavors of the offerings will be switched out on a regular basis.
There are also some savory options like sandwiches and salads. At a recent media preview I tried the Old South Biscuit Sandwich. It features a center of egg souffle, topped with bacon jam, Neuske’s applewood smoked bacon slices, and aged cheddar on a house-made cheddar biscuit, served with a side dish of fresh fruit. Get ready to unhinge your jaw because this delicious sandwich is HUGE!
The Glass Knife offers coffee by Arkansas-based Onyx Coffee Lab, made with a Modbar brewing system mounted under the service counter. They also have a good selection of tea, wine, champagne, and craft beer.
In fact everything in the restaurant is sourced from American companies, according to Brown, from the floor tiles and tables to the work uniforms and aprons.
The Glass Knife is open from 7am to 10pm daily. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. They are located at 279 S. Orlando Ave in Winter Park, with on site parking, as well as a parking garage behind it. Visit them online at theglassknife.com.
- It Will Be an Irving Berlin’s White Christmas at Dr. Phillips Center Dec 18-23, 2018 - December 12, 2018
- Orange County Launches Crowdsourced 2018 Holiday Lights Map - December 7, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Christmas Bricktacular Brings LEGO Fun to the Holidays @LEGOLANDFlorida - December 6, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up for Dec 5, 2018: Wondermade, PokéStop, Orange County Brewers, and More - December 5, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events for December 2018 **UPDATED** #OrlandoFoodies - December 4, 2018
- Gaylord Palms Hosts Sounds of the Season Concert Series for 2018 Holidays #CAGP18 - December 3, 2018
- Elton John’s Orlando and Tampa Shows Have Been Rescheduled @AmwayCenter @Amalie Arena #EltonJohn - November 29, 2018
- Out and About: Hello, Dolly! Feat. @BettyBuckley at Dr. Phillips Center is a Masterclass in Musical Theater @DrPhillipsCtr - November 28, 2018
- Elton John Cancels Orlando and Tampa Shows Due to Illness @AmwayCenter @Amalie Arena #EltonJohn - November 27, 2018
- Out and About: Oklahoma Joe’s Brings Competition Quality BBQ to Central Florida #OklahomaJoesOneDaytona - November 25, 2018