Recalling the vintage pastry shops of the mid-1900s, The Glass Knife opens this weekend in Winter Park.
The name comes from owner Steve Brown’s mother and her collection of vintage 1920’s era glass cake knives, many of which are on display inlaid in the communal wood table that occupies the center of the eatery.
Other seating includes booths with marble tables and and outdoor covered patio.
The menu features classic cakes, artisan doughnuts, and other desserts from Executive Chef Stuart Whitfield, who has worked for Four Seasons, Le Cirque, David Burke & Donatella, and The Walt Disney Co. Flavors of the offerings will be switched out on a regular basis.
There are also some savory options like sandwiches and salads. At a recent media preview I tried the Old South Biscuit Sandwich. It features a center of egg souffle, topped with bacon jam, Neuske’s applewood smoked bacon slices, and aged cheddar on a house-made cheddar biscuit, served with a side dish of fresh fruit. Get ready to unhinge your jaw because this delicious sandwich is HUGE!
The Glass Knife offers coffee by Arkansas-based Onyx Coffee Lab, made with a Modbar brewing system mounted under the service counter. They also have a good selection of tea, wine, champagne, and craft beer.
In fact everything in the restaurant is sourced from American companies, according to Brown, from the floor tiles and tables to the work uniforms and aprons.
The Glass Knife is open from 7am to 10pm daily. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. They are located at 279 S. Orlando Ave in Winter Park, with on site parking, as well as a parking garage behind it. Visit them online at theglassknife.com.
- Chef Gary Appelsies Launches Free Central Florida YMCA Summer Food Tour - June 18, 2018
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Debuts New ‘Jurassic World’ Kids’ Suites - June 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup June 16, 2018: Cask & Larder, Pizza Bruno, Pharmacy, Paddlefish, and More - June 16, 2018
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts Ron Pope June 29, 2018 - June 15, 2018
- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Removes All Single-Use Plastic Shopping Bags and Plastic Straws from its 12 Theme Parks - June 14, 2018
- Nicki Minaj And Future bring their ‘NickiHndrxx’ Tour to Amway Center Oct 20, 2018 - June 13, 2018
- Orlando Science Center Celebrates Superhero Week June 14-17, 2018 - June 12, 2018
- Coke Zero Sugar 400 Weekend Roars Into Daytona International Speedway July 5-7, 2018 @DISupdates - June 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Father’s Day 2018 *UPDATED* - June 10, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup June 9, 2018: Homecoming, Kadance, King Bao, and More - June 9, 2018