Recalling the vintage pastry shops of the mid-1900s, The Glass Knife opens this weekend in Winter Park.
The name comes from owner Steve Brown’s mother and her collection of vintage 1920’s era glass cake knives, many of which are on display inlaid in the communal wood table that occupies the center of the eatery.
Other seating includes booths with marble tables and and outdoor covered patio.
The menu features classic cakes, artisan doughnuts, and other desserts from Executive Chef Stuart Whitfield, who has worked for Four Seasons, Le Cirque, David Burke & Donatella, and The Walt Disney Co. Flavors of the offerings will be switched out on a regular basis.
There are also some savory options like sandwiches and salads. At a recent media preview I tried the Old South Biscuit Sandwich. It features a center of egg souffle, topped with bacon jam, Neuske’s applewood smoked bacon slices, and aged cheddar on a house-made cheddar biscuit, served with a side dish of fresh fruit. Get ready to unhinge your jaw because this delicious sandwich is HUGE!
The Glass Knife offers coffee by Arkansas-based Onyx Coffee Lab, made with a Modbar brewing system mounted under the service counter. They also have a good selection of tea, wine, champagne, and craft beer.
In fact everything in the restaurant is sourced from American companies, according to Brown, from the floor tiles and tables to the work uniforms and aprons.
The Glass Knife is open from 7am to 10pm daily. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. They are located at 279 S. Orlando Ave in Winter Park, with on site parking, as well as a parking garage behind it. Visit them online at theglassknife.com.
- Out and About: Family-Style Dining at Mia’s Italian Kitchen on I-Drive .. @MiasItalian_Orl #MiasItalianKitchen #DiningReview - October 19, 2021
- World’s First Peppa Pig Theme Park to Open in Central Florida Feb 2022 .. #PeppaPigFlorida @PeppaPigFlorida - October 14, 2021
- The Orange Cup Regatta Returns to Lakeland Oct 16-17, 2021 .. #OrangeCupRegatta @APBA_Racing @CentralFLSports - October 13, 2021
- Universal’s Mardi Gras Returns to Universal Orlando in 2022 .. @UniversalOrlando #MardiGras - October 12, 2021
- Disney Genie and Lightning Lane Launch Oct. 19 at Walt Disney World .. @WaltDisneyWorld #DisneyGenie #LightningLane - October 10, 2021
- Come Out With Pride Orlando Takes Over Lake Eola Oct. 9, 2021 .. #ComeOutWithPride @orlandopride - October 7, 2021
- Universal Orlando To Close Shrek 4-D Attraction .. @UniversalOrlando #Shrek4D - October 6, 2021
- Celebrate National Taco Day 2021 With These Orlando-Area Restaurant Deals .. #NationalTacoDay #OrlandoTacos #OrlandoFoodies - October 4, 2021
- IMMERSE 2021 to Take Over Downtown Orlando Oct 15-17! .. #IMMERSEOrlando #OrlandoArts #CreativeCity #JOYBOX #COLORDAYOrlando - October 2, 2021
- Brick Or Treat Returns To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Oct 2, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #BrickorTreat - September 30, 2021