Recalling the vintage pastry shops of the mid-1900s, The Glass Knife opens this weekend in Winter Park.
The name comes from owner Steve Brown’s mother and her collection of vintage 1920’s era glass cake knives, many of which are on display inlaid in the communal wood table that occupies the center of the eatery.
Other seating includes booths with marble tables and and outdoor covered patio.
The menu features classic cakes, artisan doughnuts, and other desserts from Executive Chef Stuart Whitfield, who has worked for Four Seasons, Le Cirque, David Burke & Donatella, and The Walt Disney Co. Flavors of the offerings will be switched out on a regular basis.
There are also some savory options like sandwiches and salads. At a recent media preview I tried the Old South Biscuit Sandwich. It features a center of egg souffle, topped with bacon jam, Neuske’s applewood smoked bacon slices, and aged cheddar on a house-made cheddar biscuit, served with a side dish of fresh fruit. Get ready to unhinge your jaw because this delicious sandwich is HUGE!
The Glass Knife offers coffee by Arkansas-based Onyx Coffee Lab, made with a Modbar brewing system mounted under the service counter. They also have a good selection of tea, wine, champagne, and craft beer.
In fact everything in the restaurant is sourced from American companies, according to Brown, from the floor tiles and tables to the work uniforms and aprons.
The Glass Knife is open from 7am to 10pm daily. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. They are located at 279 S. Orlando Ave in Winter Park, with on site parking, as well as a parking garage behind it. Visit them online at theglassknife.com.
- 2019 Monster Jam Tickets Go On Sale September 25, 2018 - September 24, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup September 22, 2018: Holler and Dash, Pharmacy, Earth Fare, and More - September 22, 2018
- $10 Day Returns to @OrlandoScience Center Sept 23 - September 20, 2018
- Madame Tussauds Orlando and SEA LIFE Aquarium Orlando to Host Sensory Friendly Day Sept 22 - September 19, 2018
- 2018 US Open Table Tennis Championships to be Held in Orlando - September 18, 2018
- Busch Gardens Tampa Reveals Plans for Florida’s Tallest Launch Roller Coaster #Tigris - September 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup September 14, 2018: Tijuana Flats, Columbia Restaurant, The Capital Grille, and More - September 14, 2018
- FOZZY to Rock House of Blues Orlando Sept 27, 2018 @FOZZYROCK - September 13, 2018
- Velvet Sessions at The Hard Rock Hotel Hosts The Outfield’s Tony Lewis Sept 28 - September 12, 2018
- Universal Orlando Announces Final Halloween Horror Nights 28 House: ScaryTales: Deadly Ever After #HHN28 - September 11, 2018