Recalling the vintage pastry shops of the mid-1900s, The Glass Knife opens this weekend in Winter Park.
The name comes from owner Steve Brown’s mother and her collection of vintage 1920’s era glass cake knives, many of which are on display inlaid in the communal wood table that occupies the center of the eatery.
Other seating includes booths with marble tables and and outdoor covered patio.
The menu features classic cakes, artisan doughnuts, and other desserts from Executive Chef Stuart Whitfield, who has worked for Four Seasons, Le Cirque, David Burke & Donatella, and The Walt Disney Co. Flavors of the offerings will be switched out on a regular basis.
There are also some savory options like sandwiches and salads. At a recent media preview I tried the Old South Biscuit Sandwich. It features a center of egg souffle, topped with bacon jam, Neuske’s applewood smoked bacon slices, and aged cheddar on a house-made cheddar biscuit, served with a side dish of fresh fruit. Get ready to unhinge your jaw because this delicious sandwich is HUGE!
The Glass Knife offers coffee by Arkansas-based Onyx Coffee Lab, made with a Modbar brewing system mounted under the service counter. They also have a good selection of tea, wine, champagne, and craft beer.
In fact everything in the restaurant is sourced from American companies, according to Brown, from the floor tiles and tables to the work uniforms and aprons.
The Glass Knife is open from 7am to 10pm daily. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. They are located at 279 S. Orlando Ave in Winter Park, with on site parking, as well as a parking garage behind it. Visit them online at theglassknife.com.
- Sonny’s BBQ Smokin’ Showdown Comes to Orlando March 3 + Win Tickets! #sonnysbbq - February 19, 2018
- Out and About: Selena Comes to Madame Tussauds Orlando - February 18, 2018
- Walt Disney World Announces Toy Story Land to Open June 30, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 16, 2018: The Glass Knife, MidiCi, Pammie’s Sammies, and More - February 16, 2018
- Universal Orlando Adds Jason Derulo and Jessie J to 2018 Mardi Gras Headliners - February 15, 2018
- MidiCi Kissimmee Hosts #IHeartMidiCi Charity Pizza Drive During Feb 2018 - February 14, 2018
- 140th Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 16-18 #silverspursrodeo - February 12, 2018
- Breaking: Walt Disney World Raises Ticket, Pass, and Parking Prices Effective Feb 11, 2018 - February 11, 2018
- Monster Energy Supercross comes to Tampa Feb. 24 + Discount Ticket Code - February 11, 2018
- Cirque du Soleil Brings New Show VOLTA to Tampa Feb 14-Mar 18, 2018 - February 10, 2018