This Saturday, Orlando Magazine hosted the Orlando Burger Battle at the wonderful Ace Cafe Orlando downtown, and CitySurfing Orlando got to check it all out.
Set up in the parking lot were 11 popular Orlando restaurants who brought their best burger creations to battle it out. Among them were Ace Cafe Orlando, Artisan’s Table, Freddy’s, Hash House A Go Go, Jimmy Hula’s, Liam Fitzpatrick’s, Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney, Raglan Road, The Whiskey, White Wolf Cafe, and The Tap Room at Dubsdread.
Your ticket also included unlimited beer and wine (+ cocktails and boozy milkshakes if you had a VIP pass, which I did not), along with fries to go with your burger samples…and, as I discovered, they had liquid gold cheese sauce to drizzle on the fries (but you had to ask for it).
All of this set against the backdrop of Ace Cafe and all of the vintage cars parked out front to drool over admire.
In the interest of being fair, I tried each and every burger before casting my vote (with the exception of Ace, because of a mushroom allergy). The varieties of burgers were astounding!
They ran from the basic steakburger with cheese, raw onions and mustard from Freddy’s (several Orlando locations) to a deep-fried Battered Burger from Raglan Road Irish Pub (at Disney Springs) to a double-patty beast with mashed potatoes on the burger from Hash House A Go Go.
Liam FItzpatrick’s Irish Pub stood out by serving their burger on a clean tin ashtray:
There were two sets of winners. The first set was determined by a panel of judges including Ricky Ly of TastyChomps.com, Orlando Magazine food critic Joseph Hayes, Miss America 2004 Erica Dunlap, and Chefs Kathleen Blake of The Rusty Spoon and the retro-rad Emily Ellyn.
Here are their favorite picks:
2: Liam Fitzpatrick’s
3: Artisan’s Table
The second set of winners were chosen by the people in attendence, who each got one vote. The People’s Choice winners are:
1: White Wolf Cafe
2: Liam Fitzpatrick’s
3: Jimmy Hula’s
And finally, my unofficial favorites:
1: Planet Hollywood (Guy Fieri’s Bacon Mac-N-Cheese Burger is just a delicious combo of creamy cheese and salty bacon)
2: Freddy’s (It may be a simple burger but it’s full of flavor!)
3: Jimmy Hula’s (Their burger was Polynesian-influenced with teriyaki sauce and pineapple. It was a good balance of sweet and salty).
Did you attend the Orlando Burger Battle? Let us know which burger was your favorite. If you missed it, we’ll let you know as soon as we hear a date for next year’s event. Thanks to Orlando Magazine and all the participating restaurants for such a tasty evening!
Still hungry? Go check out my friend Christina’s recap over at GoEpicurista.com!
Disclaimer: We received a pair of general tickets to the Orlando Burger Battle in exchange for promoting the event. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.
- Dr Phillips Center Hosts Auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar National Tour on Saturday, April 20 @drphillipsctr #JesusChristSuperstar - April 18, 2019
- Party for the Planet Returns to Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 20-22, 2019 #EarthDay2019 #PartyforthePlanet - April 17, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s 2019 Picks For Easter Dining And Family Fun In Orlando - April 16, 2019
- Monster Jam World Finals XX Roll Into Orlando’s Camping World Stadium May 10-11, 2019 #MonsterJam - April 15, 2019
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Digital Ticket Lottery for Dear Evan Hansen #YouWillBeFound #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - April 12, 2019
- Five Reasons You Should Attend the 2019 Florida Film Festival #FFF2019 - April 11, 2019
- Central Florida Foodie Events for April 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - April 7, 2019
- Out and About: CityArts Opens in Historic Roger Kiene Building in Downtown Orlando - March 31, 2019
- Out and About: Tony Roma’s Serves Up Delicious New Classics Menu Through April 28, 2019 @TonyRomas - March 27, 2019
- Orlando Shakes and Michael Andrew Bring to Life the World Premiere of Jack and the Beanstalk April 4 – May 4, 2019 @OrlandoShakes - March 25, 2019