Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse is partnering with leading beverage companies to produce a series of events called the TasteMaker Dinners, and I was recently invited to enjoy an evening filled with great food paired with Johnnie Walker Whisky.
Whisky and steak seems a no-brainer, but the chefs at the Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse elevated the meal with some out of the box dishes.
Our first course was Stuffed Shrimp Scampi and Lasagna Roulade paired with a drink called the Scottish Standard made with Johnnie Walker Black, Cointreau, Cardamom, and Prosecco. What a way to start the night, right?
Second course was a delicious Balsamic Roasted Pear Salad paired with more Johnnie Walker Black served neat. It was bright and fresh with a hint of sweetness.
Now third course is where the chefs blew my mind. They paired a Red Lentil & Cauliflower Soup with the Tiki Scotsman, a cocktail that invoked memories of a Hurricane featuring Fassionola syrup, fresh squeezed lime juice, mint, and nutmeg.
I would’ve gladly enjoyed that pairing all night. The Indian spices of the soup were enhanced by the slightly sweet whisky drink.
The main course of the evening was steak and whiskey…Petite Filet Mignon Oscar accompanied by Lyonnaise potatoes, roasted asparagus and mushrooms, paired with Johnnie Walker’s newest brand, Platinum, served neat.
Platinum is an 18yr old blended Scotch Whisky, and was a perfect sipping companion to the steak.
The dinner wrapped up with Tiramisu paired with Johnnie Walker Blue neat. To be honest, as much as I love tiramisu, I was a little underwhelmed with the dish. The ladyfingers weren’t soaked long enough in the espresso so they were partially crispy which made the texture of the dish a little off.
But overall, I thought this TasteMaker Dinner was an amazing evening of great food and a nice sampling of Johnnie Walker whiskys. I thank Ruth’s Chris for inviting me to experience their dinner series!
FUTURE TASTEMAKER DINNERS
Good news for you readers…there are three more TasteMaker Dinners on the schedule that you can attend:
CHATEAU MONTELENA WINERY will offer a 5-course pairings with dishes such as Portuguese White Bean & Chorizo Stew, and Petite Filet Mignon Cipollini Ragout. It will take place June 15 at the Orlando and Lake Mary locations, and June 16 in Winter Park. Cost is $105pp.
MOET HENNESY USA will offer a 5-course champagne pairing. Menu and pricing hasn’t been released, but it will take place on August 17.
MARCHESI ANTINORI WINERY will offer a 5-course wine pairing. Menu and pricing hasn’t been released, but it will take place on October 15
For more information, or to make reservations, visit ruthschris.com.
Disclaimer: We were hosted media guests for purposes of review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- SunRail to Offer Free Tickets to Kick Off Southern Expansion Stops - July 22, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup July 21, 2018: MidiCi, Taste! Central Florida, Royal Tea, Duck Donuts, and More - July 21, 2018
- Out and About: Sampling the Summer Menu at Marlow’s Tavern at Pointe Orlando #MarlowsSummer #MarlowsOrlando - July 20, 2018
- Christmas at Gaylord Palms 2018 ICE! Theme Will Be ‘A Christmas Story’ @GaylordPalms #CAGP - July 19, 2018
- Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining Month Returns Aug 24-Sept 30, 2018 - July 18, 2018
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy To Open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Early 2019 - July 17, 2018
- Orlando Shakes Hosts 30th Anniversary Season Gala Sept 16, 2018 @OrlandoShakes - July 16, 2018
- Frightened Rabbit Tribute Show at Will’s Pub July 19 to Benefit TWLOHA - July 15, 2018
- Universal Orlando Announces Chucky and Killer Klowns Scare Zones for Halloween Horror Nights 28 #HHN28 - July 13, 2018
- Ellipsis Brewing Marks Six-Month Anniversary with 5 Special Release Brews - July 12, 2018