Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse is partnering with leading beverage companies to produce a series of events called the TasteMaker Dinners, and I was recently invited to enjoy an evening filled with great food paired with Johnnie Walker Whisky.
Whisky and steak seems a no-brainer, but the chefs at the Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse elevated the meal with some out of the box dishes.
Our first course was Stuffed Shrimp Scampi and Lasagna Roulade paired with a drink called the Scottish Standard made with Johnnie Walker Black, Cointreau, Cardamom, and Prosecco. What a way to start the night, right?
Second course was a delicious Balsamic Roasted Pear Salad paired with more Johnnie Walker Black served neat. It was bright and fresh with a hint of sweetness.
Now third course is where the chefs blew my mind. They paired a Red Lentil & Cauliflower Soup with the Tiki Scotsman, a cocktail that invoked memories of a Hurricane featuring Fassionola syrup, fresh squeezed lime juice, mint, and nutmeg.
I would’ve gladly enjoyed that pairing all night. The Indian spices of the soup were enhanced by the slightly sweet whisky drink.
The main course of the evening was steak and whiskey…Petite Filet Mignon Oscar accompanied by Lyonnaise potatoes, roasted asparagus and mushrooms, paired with Johnnie Walker’s newest brand, Platinum, served neat.
Platinum is an 18yr old blended Scotch Whisky, and was a perfect sipping companion to the steak.
The dinner wrapped up with Tiramisu paired with Johnnie Walker Blue neat. To be honest, as much as I love tiramisu, I was a little underwhelmed with the dish. The ladyfingers weren’t soaked long enough in the espresso so they were partially crispy which made the texture of the dish a little off.
But overall, I thought this TasteMaker Dinner was an amazing evening of great food and a nice sampling of Johnnie Walker whiskys. I thank Ruth’s Chris for inviting me to experience their dinner series!
FUTURE TASTEMAKER DINNERS
Good news for you readers…there are three more TasteMaker Dinners on the schedule that you can attend:
CHATEAU MONTELENA WINERY will offer a 5-course pairings with dishes such as Portuguese White Bean & Chorizo Stew, and Petite Filet Mignon Cipollini Ragout. It will take place June 15 at the Orlando and Lake Mary locations, and June 16 in Winter Park. Cost is $105pp.
MOET HENNESY USA will offer a 5-course champagne pairing. Menu and pricing hasn’t been released, but it will take place on August 17.
MARCHESI ANTINORI WINERY will offer a 5-course wine pairing. Menu and pricing hasn’t been released, but it will take place on October 15
For more information, or to make reservations, visit ruthschris.com.
Disclaimer: We were hosted media guests for purposes of review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- Sonny’s BBQ Smokin’ Showdown Comes to Orlando March 3 + Win Tickets! #sonnysbbq - February 19, 2018
- Out and About: Selena Comes to Madame Tussauds Orlando - February 18, 2018
- Walt Disney World Announces Toy Story Land to Open June 30, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 16, 2018: The Glass Knife, MidiCi, Pammie’s Sammies, and More - February 16, 2018
- Universal Orlando Adds Jason Derulo and Jessie J to 2018 Mardi Gras Headliners - February 15, 2018
- MidiCi Kissimmee Hosts #IHeartMidiCi Charity Pizza Drive During Feb 2018 - February 14, 2018
- 140th Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 16-18 #silverspursrodeo - February 12, 2018
- Breaking: Walt Disney World Raises Ticket, Pass, and Parking Prices Effective Feb 11, 2018 - February 11, 2018
- Monster Energy Supercross comes to Tampa Feb. 24 + Discount Ticket Code - February 11, 2018
- Cirque du Soleil Brings New Show VOLTA to Tampa Feb 14-Mar 18, 2018 - February 10, 2018