From March 13 thru March 31, both members and non-members were invited to use the cardio equipment at the Downtown Orlando Central Florida YMCA for free, in order to help with the fitness challenge “Let’s Move for a Better World.”
This worldwide challenge included almost 800 fitness facilities across the globe, with over 140,000 people donating their moves to a great cause. The top facility in each country with the most donated moves, will win the opportunity to donate new state-of-the-art equipment from Technogym to a local school or health facility.
The real winners are those fighting the cause to decrease both childhood obesity and sedentary lifestyles.
So there I was, hanging out at the Downtown YMCA in Orlando on March 30, when a special friend walked into the cardio equipment room…Stuff, the official mascot of the Orlando Magic.
Stuff brought his running shoes and his staff of assistants to run on the treadmills and donate some moves. And while it was entertaining to watch everyone running, it was also inspiring.
Stuff logged 227 moves over the course of almost a half mile, with his staff collectively donating many more.
The campaign began in 2014 with only 180 facilities and 20,000 participants. Those numbers have greatly increased over the years and this year, the two top finishers in the United States are two local Orlando centers.
At last check, in first place was the Dr. Phillips YMCA in southwest Orlando, and a close second was the Downtown Orlando Central Florida YMCA. Let’s hope they win!!
- First Look at Knife and Spoon Opening at Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes in Orlando .. #KnifeandSpoon @RC_ORLANDO @ChefJohnTesar - August 30, 2020
- Out and About: A Sneak Preview of the Visit Orlando Magical Dining Menu at Bulla Gastrobar - August 21, 2018
- Out and About: Let’s Move for a Better World with YMCA and Stuff the Orlando Magic Mascot - April 1, 2017
- Out and About: The Orchestra feat. Members of ELO at Plaza Live! Orlando - August 30, 2016
- Out and About: Food Fight Write at the World Food Championships in Celebration, FL - November 10, 2015